Lidl's High Protein Rolls

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always check out Liv life bread too,
it's tiny size but under 4g carbs per slice. Hi-lo is okay too, a tad bigger and about 5g a slice.
Brilliant I'll do that.... I've been missing bread badly, a few more options is great.

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Brought one these day at work for lunch, had it with some chicken and bacon, i was suprised how nice it was, sadly put me on a 8 from 5.3 generally i stay within a point after food so a little dissapointing, maybe i can get away with a half every now wnd than as a treat

Reactions: Prem51

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last time I went to Lidl there were only 14 rolls in the basket. I asked the assistant if there were any more and he said that he would cook some more for me and it would take 1/2 hour. He said next time ask as soon as I enter the shop so there would be enough time. That's service.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
For those (like me) who wonder who has coughed on the roll just before you got there I have a tip.
Heat the oven to about 110 degrees, run the roll briefly under a slow running cold tap, shake, and put in the oven for 10 minutes.

This freshens it up so it is warm and a bit moist (just like fresh baked) and should also kill off any nasties.

Slightly higher temperature (150?) if you like your rolls crispier.

I am on a slightly weird low carb low cal diet at the moment of 1 cup of bullet resistant coffee in the morning and one filled Lidl roll about 3-4 in the afternoon. Filling is usually a variant on cheese and ham.

This seems to stave off hunger, my occasional BG tests seem to come in under 6, and I am slowly losing weight.

Could I live like that for the rest of my life? Not sure, but it is becoming less of a struggle as the days pass so it may be a "penance" regime after I have been bad. Haven't worked out the calories but it should be pretty low.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
For those (like me) who wonder who has coughed on the roll just before you got there I have a tip.
Heat the oven to about 110 degrees, run the roll briefly under a slow running cold tap, shake, and put in the oven for 10 minutes.

This freshens it up so it is warm and a bit moist (just like fresh baked) and should also kill off any nasties.

Slightly higher temperature (150?) if you like your rolls crispier.

I am on a slightly weird low carb low cal diet at the moment of 1 cup of bullet resistant coffee in the morning and one filled Lidl roll about 3-4 in the afternoon. Filling is usually a variant on cheese and ham.

This seems to stave off hunger, my occasional BG tests seem to come in under 6, and I am slowly losing weight.

Could I live like that for the rest of my life? Not sure, but it is becoming less of a struggle as the days pass so it may be a "penance" regime after I have been bad. Haven't worked out the calories but it should be pretty low.
1 meal a day is perfectly sustainable. I've done it successfully for 30 yrs and maintain a BMI of 20.5 now. Where I went wrong over the years was eating the wrong foods for my 1 meal a day and it caught up with me. I find lchf eliminates the hunger completely as on a high carb diet I'd be starving by meal time.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Going back to the comments around curcumin.. turmeric. I have a teaspoon of this and ginger and cinnamon and lashings of ground black pepper too throughout a day in my chai teas.

On the diabetes front since having these my bloods (even as a T1) have levelled better and I am having less basal insulin too.

Initially had turmeric in tablet form... this did nothing to lower levels but these spices (in total 3 teaspoons a day) really have improved my peaks and troughs...

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always check out Liv life bread too,
it's tiny size but under 4g carbs per slice. Hi-lo is okay too, a tad bigger and about 5g a slice.
Tried the Livlife today, a really tasty ham and cheese sandwich and a creamy coffee... Spike of less than 1 mmol/L so a resounding success. Added to my must have shopping list.

Hazel595

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi
I keep hearing about Lidl high protein rolls but not sure what they look like. Are they unpacked or in a packet?

Reactions: NatJS

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dude WHAT? :eek::eek::eek::eek: I had no idea these were low carb rolls! I can't remember if my Lidl still has these but I've had them before and they were good!

I'm gonna hunt them down when my food money gets in tomorrow. They seem to average at about 10g carbs per roll, is that right?

I'm assuming these also do well frozen and then reheated?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Absolutely great for freezing. I drop the bag into one of the baskets as I have a ginormous freezer and have lost them in there a couple of times. They defrost quite quickly or they can be lightly microwaved, or if you slice them before freezing can be put into a suitable toaster - most toasters have wide enough slots I think. I prefer them to ordinary breads.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dude WHAT? :eek::eek::eek::eek: I had no idea these were low carb rolls! I can't remember if my Lidl still has these but I've had them before and they were good!

I'm gonna hunt them down when my food money gets in tomorrow. They seem to average at about 10g carbs per roll, is that right?

I'm assuming these also do well frozen and then reheated?

Yes, I bulk buy, slice them in half and freeze. I love them toasted with lots of butter that melts right through.

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I bulk buy, slice them in half and freeze. I love them toasted with lots of butter that melts right through.

Ingredients Water, 17 % Linseed, Wheat Protein, Soy Flour, Whole Wheat Flour , 4 % Sesame, Soybean Meal, 3 % Sunflower seeds, Wheat Bran, Yeast , Oat Fiber, Salt, Coloring Spice Extracts (Curcuma), Thickener: Guar Gum.

Nutritional Information
Typical Values per 100g

Energy 289kcal/1203kJ
Fat 13.8g
Of which saturates 1.8g
Carbohydrate 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 12.3g
Protein 25.0g
Salt 1.03g

Thanks! Gonna see if they still have them and take them all home with me. :angelic:

I'm going to guess those carbs listed are net as the fiber content is higher?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks! Gonna see if they still have them and take them all home with me. :angelic:

I'm going to guess those carbs listed are net as the fiber content is higher?

Every carb content is net in the UK. Fibre is already deducted and listed separately.