Not doing so well at the moment

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
The following is a bit of a moan so read no further if not interested.....

I have spent the last four weeks trying to get back to low carb - manage it some days and not others - work has really become stressful so blood glucose readings are up which does not help at all.
I am facing a large work load for the next couple of months and also putting in additional work hours to meet a deadline - so don't see stress levels falling any time soon..........
I did lose weight 2 weeks ago and then it more than doubled the lose on an increase the following week and dropped only slightly this week, so almost back to where I was.
I am really trying to get myself back under a level of controlled eating but it is proving really hard - yes I am a comfort eater and nothing that I can eat really helps the craving for carbs in all shapes............
Looking ahead I am hoping that I can get things back on track in a couple of months meanwhile continuing to do the best I can.

To anyone out there who is also struggling for whatever reason - please know you are not alone, it is easy to feel it is only you and no-one understands - but I post the above to show it happens and hopefully it helps someone else to know it happens.

Thank you for reading.

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon@srobertson06 no worries we all get time's like this,its all part and parcel of being human,you have come this far my friend which is a tribute to your incorrigible and determined character and your resilience ,well done.please don't be to hard on yourself as you have done incredibly well,give yourself a pat on the back my friend,its difficult but not impossible,just take one day at a time ,I do know that words are easy,but many of us here have worn the tea shirt and really do know how you feel,just go with the flow and take it easy;)

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you so much - it means the world to me to have an understanding response

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been there. Got the t shirt. So i really do understand.
Getting back on the LC wagon can be very, very hard.
You get carb cravings on top of genuine hunger.
And you've got stress and a heavy work load on top.

From what you are saying, it looks like you are trying to lose weight too?

Speaking from personal experience, i would cut yourself some slack.
Maybe take one thing at a time?
Eat LC indulgantly, decadently, and enjoyably. Don't go hungry, don't try for smaller portions or let yourself get hungry -until those carb cravings have faded, and your blood glucose is under control. And you are feeling less pressured. Hunger and appetite usually reduce naturally when low carbing, so you may not need to struggle as much as you have been, if you use this route to re-enter low carbing.

At that point, work and workload will be easier to cope with, and you could start looking at the weight loss after that.

Hope that helps.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ditto @Brunneria has put it beautifully :)
We are all human and controlled by emotions, stress , workload etc.
I started on a 48 hour fast yesterday.. and got sabotaged !
I know hubby doesn't like me fasting, he's sensible enough not to nag me, but he turned the TV to a really lovely cookery program ! I had got to the 24 hour point and was feeling really hungry! :( Did still stick to low carb though

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm in the same trouble, I start each day with the best of intentions, I am sticking to low carb, doing quite well all day then in the evening I succumb to too many nuts and pork rinds and Ia wake the following day in the same place as I was. This is a lot better than the rapid weight gain I experienced when cheating by eating carbs, but its still annoying and disappointing. I think for all of us keeping this up to get to the " final goal" as opposed to falling by the wayside part way there, is just very very hard

HappyasLarry

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The following is a bit of a moan so read no further if not interested.....

I have spent the last four weeks trying to get back to low carb - manage it some days and not others - work has really become stressful so blood glucose readings are up which does not help at all.
I am facing a large work load for the next couple of months and also putting in additional work hours to meet a deadline - so don't see stress levels falling any time soon..........
I did lose weight 2 weeks ago and then it more than doubled the lose on an increase the following week and dropped only slightly this week, so almost back to where I was.
I am really trying to get myself back under a level of controlled eating but it is proving really hard - yes I am a comfort eater and nothing that I can eat really helps the craving for carbs in all shapes............
Looking ahead I am hoping that I can get things back on track in a couple of months meanwhile continuing to do the best I can.

To anyone out there who is also struggling for whatever reason - please know you are not alone, it is easy to feel it is only you and no-one understands - but I post the above to show it happens and hopefully it helps someone else to know it happens.

Thank you for reading.
I know exactly what you mean. When I am doing LCHF I feel so much better, but I have slipped off and am finding it so hard to get back to. All fine at one point then what with relationship break up, Christmas, a range of family and financial problems, it got difficult to stick to. Now being ill for the last 3 weeks with the flu and sinus infection I haven't been able to cook properly or do much shopping and it has been a case of maybe a sandwich here and there, or just grab something easy. Not good I know, but planning to get back on track soon as I can.

Reactions: mo53

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I know exactly what you mean. When I am doing LCHF I feel so much better, but I have slipped off and am finding it so hard to get back to. All fine at one point then what with relationship break up, Christmas, a range of family and financial problems, it got difficult to stick to. Now being ill for the last 3 weeks with the flu and sinus infection I haven't been able to cook properly or do much shopping and it has been a case of maybe a sandwich here and there, or just grab something easy. Not good I know, but planning to get back on track soon as I can.

Life certainly gets in the way at times, I wish you well with getting back on track, I am still working on mine, some days are better than others but I accept I can only do what I can.
Hoping we can both begin to get back on track and start to feel the benefits and for myself to begin to see the weight start to fall again.......... Hopefully the lighter nights will also help as I am not good in the winter months as I need day light to keep my mood stable.

Take care of yourself and thank you for taking the time to respond to my message

Jo123

What motivates me to keep on the straight and narrow is fear!!
Years ago I watched a programme about diabetes where the doctor presenter explained with scientific evidence how excess glucose in your blood was like shards of glass damaging your nerves and blood vessels. Scary stuff, and I witness the side effects of diabetes amongst family members, even those with good control according to the NHS.

As brunneria said over indulge on low carb food if you have to eat, this really works.

I've occasionally gone off the straight and narrow at times of stress and I do sympathise.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I will try and remember the good advice you all give - today so far is going well - I have allowed myself a small treat with my morning coffee - home made almond cake - no flour and replaced sugar with stevia - really pleased with the cake and hoping this will help me to stay on the low carb path as it felt like a really lovely treat.
Work still very stressful but I feel I am managing it better.

Reactions: Chook

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try and remember the good advice you all give - today so far is going well - I have allowed myself a small treat with my morning coffee - home made almond cake - no flour and replaced sugar with stevia - really pleased with the cake and hoping this will help me to stay on the low carb path as it felt like a really lovely treat.
Work still very stressful but I feel I am managing it better.

Well done, these little not so naughty treats are the way to go. @Brunneria had a recipe for coffee and walnut low carb cake. It's amazing, really filling and actually drops my BG, but feels very indulgent :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, these little not so naughty treats are the way to go. @Brunneria had a recipe for coffee and walnut low carb cake. It's amazing, really filling and actually drops my BG, but feels very indulgent :)

Oh yes, here you go:
https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/recipes/50976-coffee-walnut-cake-low-carb/
and here is a copy and paste of the recipe :)

For the cake

* 225g/8oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
* 44g/splenda
* 3 large eggs
* 50ml/1¾fl oz strong espresso coffee
* 225g/8oz ground almonds
* 2 tsp baking powder
* 75g/2½oz walnuts

For the butter cream topping

* 125g/4½oz unsalted butter
* 9g splenda
* 50ml/2fl oz strong espresso coffee
* ¼ tsp cinnamon
* 12 walnut halves, to decorate

Preparation method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. In a bowl, beat the butter and splenda together until very light and pale.
3. Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and splenda mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
4. Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
5. Add the ground almonds and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
6. Spoon the cake mixture into two lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tins.
7. Transfer to the oven to bake 25-30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
8. Remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool on a wire rack.
9. For the butter cream topping, Beat the butter and splenda together in a small bowl until pale and light.
10. Add the espresso and cinnamon and mix well.
11. Spread the butter cream over the top of each cake, then place one cake on top of the other.
12. Decorate the top of the cake with the walnut halves.

12 servings = 6 carbs per slice

For the espresso, 3 heaped spoons of coffee in a bodum (cafetierre) & just enough water to make it very strong & let it stand for 5 mins.

Reactions: daisyduck and Chook

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you, food shopping after work tonight so will take the recipe with me and get the ingredients - just what I needed - I think it is the feeling that I cannot have a little bit of cake when life is difficult that makes it hard to stick to.

My almond cake recipe is a fairly easy one...

200g ground almonds
6 large eggs
5 table spoons of Stevia powder
1 lemon zest of - can substitute grated rind of an orange or add some vanilla essence (one teaspoon) and one teaspoon of cinnamon

Separate the 6 eggs
Whisk the egg whites to soft peak stage
Beat the egg yolks and add the Stevia, Ground Almonds, Lemon Zest
Fold in the beaten egg whites

Place in an 8 inch round pie dish or cake tin - 2 inch high sides required
Either smear a little butter in dish then add a dash of flour - coat the dish and tip away any flour left over or line the dish/cake tin with parchment --- my one did stick but did not matter as it was for me and not to take anywhere... will be using parchment next time

Bake in moderate oven - 180*c for around 30 mins - should be golden brown - test centre with a knife which should come out clean.

It is usually eaten with ice-cream but I have eaten on it's own and I had some last night with some double cream - both ways were very enjoyable.