Medtronic 670g

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello everybody, does anyone know if the MEDTRONIC 670g is now available in UK and has anyone tried it?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hello everybody, does anyone know if the MEDTRONIC 670g is now available in UK and has anyone tried it?
It hasn't yet received EMA approval (which means it doesn't have a CE mark). It won't be commercially available in the US (the first market to get it) until April. I believe there have been a few used in trials in the UK, but that's about it.

Medtronic UK have been told that it is still in a developmental phase in the US and there's basically no information. I would suggest second half of 2017 on that basis, and if you're on a Medtronic pump already, don't hold your breath about getting it replaced with a 670G.

Stefano

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Tim thanks for your answer. I was just curious as yesterday a colleague mentioned to me about the 670g as coming very soon, but then when I checked in internet I found the same info you just provided to me. Yes I just had in November the 640g as upgrade so I guess i will need to wait the 4 years for the next upgrade unless I'm going to fund myself.
One question what is the main difference with the 640? Is that it increases your insulin intake if your blood sugar rises above 120 (6)? While with the 640 it can only reduce your basal if predict a hypo, which i already use.
I guess with the 670g you still will have to carbs count in any case.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One question what is the main difference with the 640? Is that it increases your insulin intake if your blood sugar rises above 120 (6)? While with the 640 it can only reduce your basal if predict a hypo, which i already use.
I guess with the 670g you still will have to carbs count in any case.
In the US marketing, they have highlighted two things. The predictive low glucose suspend, that the 640G already uses and the "Auto Mode".

Auto Mode introduces full basal control, in as much as it's similar to what I use with my DIY rigs.

When using the "Auto" mode, it observes glucose levels every five mins and tries to maintain them at 6.5 mmol/l. This means that it reduces the insulin amounts as it thinks you are going under the target and increases them as you go above it.

You still have to enter carbs and do boluses, but it apparently will suggest a bolus if it sees blood glucose changes that aren't in line with the data that you have entered.

So yes, you still have to carb count. The reality is that insulin isn't fast enough not to. We're trying to get over that in the #wearenotwaiting world though.