There is a cure.. how come nobody does this?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Ok, I think my opinion is a at complete odds to others.

Historically all 'evil big pharma' want to propagate diseases?

So TB, wiped out by vaccine?
Antibiotics, a course to kill the problem?
Typhoid
Tetanus
Aids
Transplants
Artificial joints
Artificial pancreas

that's the ten second list

So, dead ending all these aren't real

The evil big pharma make money by looking for the next disease to eradicate, by looking to the future, not by trying to suck us all into the past.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Guys - This really has gone way off-topic now. Please get back on topic and discuss off-topic matters elsewhere.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been watching this thread, and trying to keep up.

As someone who used the Newcastle diet in the early days, I think my comments are valid.

Brief background:
I gained a lot of weight following a car crash 25 years ago that left me with spinal damage, and fairly immobile. I was diagnosed T2 in 2005. I followed the dietitian NHS advice of carbs with every meal. Remained diabetic and became morbidly obese.
Seven years ago I had been offered bariatric surgery, almost bullied into it, but being of curious nature I argued with consultant in weight management clinic that if it was necessary post surgery to follow a very restricted diet! I would prefer to follow the restricted diet but without the surgery.
It was my good fortune that at this time Prof Taylor et al were thinking the same way. My GP contacted the team for information, and although the Optifast meal replacements were not available, we were advised that Lipotrim would be an accepable alternative. I lost 49kg following the Taylor method of Total food replacement. This was initially for 12 weeks, with a break of 6 weeks when I ate veg and protein, skimmed milk, only carbs from these foods. Followed by another 8 weeks total food replacement.

The lower blood glucose to none diabetes levels happened within days of starting the first period of ND. this was despite me having had T2 for over 6 years when I started. This suggested to me that the Taylor et al assertion that it was the food restriction that reduced the BG levels was working for me. Since then, I regained some 20 kg of the weight lost. This was in the first two years after losing. Several reasons / explanations / excuses. First, that I had a couple of major surgeries, was dependent on hospital food and other people catering for around 18 months. Second, I took on some challenges from forum members to test my theory that I had 'reversed' my T2, and ate some seriously high carb junk, in huge quantities. Do not try this at home folks. That stuff is addictive. Third, I tried LCHF without really understanding and embraced the HIGH FAT rather too well. My digestive system cannot cope with the levels of fat I was consuming, and so I have since modified that intake. Interestingly, despite the weight gain, until a few months ago, my HbA1c tests all came in at under 40. I do not see spikes in BG no matter what I eat, although I do avoid junk food and high carb food.

Why am I telling all this? Well I could, sort of, identify with the excitement of the OP @Djstevesire in that when I first discovered ND, and especially when it worked for me, I wanted to tell the world. This could be the holy grail for T2s. With hindsight, I realise that it was my 'holy grail', and that it could yet turn out to be a tarnished holy grail. Reason being, that although I have had some success, and I am very fortunate that 12 years after diagnosis I have no diabetic complications, I still have weight problems considered to be obese category, and I believe that unless / until I sort this I am in danger of higher BG levels returning.

I can only conclude, in answer to OP's original question that there are many reasons why 'There is a cure...... How come nobody does this?'
  1. Most people are still being given the advice from NHS docs that the Eatwell plate with its 'carbs with every meal' advice is the way to go.
  2. In their defence, HCPs have to follow the guidelines from on high. So those that have heard of the ND are not allowed to recommend it.
  3. All new treatment ideas have to be tested, verified, evaluated, replicated, etc, before becoming mainstream. The Newcastle team are in the process of further research.
  4. As for the 'nobody does this' element of the question. Some do. I can think of several members including myself. Those that have most success are those who read the research papers, follow the methodology, (without deviating to what many have described as "My Version of ND". There isn't a 'my version'!) I have despaired at the several members who have done the 'my version' and been disappointed.
There are , of course many more reasons, as others have pointed out.
People develop T2 for all sorts of reasons. ND would appear to be useful only to those who have too much visceral fat. It really is not the only method, and each of us needs to find our own best way. Sadly some will nt be able to. I really hope that in time, soon, the Taylor ND will be verified, and offered as an option for people in early days of pre-diabetes or T2 who can benefit from the method. Some will, others won't. Some will not want to try. Others will try and be disappointed that it will not work for them. Not everyone here will agree with me, but, I do believe that for those with the visceral fat, this can offer some hope. Let the 'buyer beware' though, because most people fail to adhere to the part of the ND that says after completing the severe calorie restriction phase it will be necessary to adhere to a calorie intake of between half to two thirds of that previously consumed. For life.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Pipp I too was excited about the prospect of a cure. I was recently diagnosed and remembered a TV program about the ND. I asked for help from my GP but he said that they couldn't help me with it as I 'wasn't heavy enough' and I needed to be a stone heavier before they could help me! He hadn't heard of the ND. So the only choice I had was to do 'my version'.

I googled and could only find 3 short references to the diet and I read that the ND was a 600 cal diet ( I didn't know that it was 600 cals of shakes and 200 cals veg, the articles didn't make it clear). I couldn't get Optifast and didn't want to buy just any other meal replacements as I had turned away from processed foods years before and didn't see the point of going backwards. So I planned to have 600 cals, mostly veg daily for 8 weeks. If I had known it was in fact 800 cals I think I would have been OK because I could have had a little more fat to keep me well. The first month was easy. The next 3 weeks I developed pains in my bones, mostly in the joints. I stopped at the end of week 7 because I could stand the pain no longer. I had persevered that long because I desperately wanted to be cured of diabetes. The pain was immense (worse than when I broke my sternum in an accident). I did however start a period of refeeding, gradually increasing my calorie intake. I had lost 8kgs in those 7 weeks , but after 2 weeks of slightly increased calories I started to regain that lost weight, even though my BMR was calculated at 2000+ calories a day and I was still consuming far less than this.

@Pipp has sucessfully kept her HbA1cs in the non diabetic range and I believe she is one of the few who has truly reversed her T2. For me the ND was a turning point and I realised that I needed to eat more, not less which was when I started LCHF 'properly'. Before this I had simply cut out the big 5 carbs and not counted carbs totals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the vote of confidence, @zand.

I think, at this point, it is important to address the OPs assertion about there being a 'cure'. I also thought of ND as a cure in the early days. Six years on my opinion has shifted a bit. If anyone thinks they just need to follow the restricted calorie intake for 8 weeks and the T2 days are over then they will be disappointed. As I mentioned previously, the follow on is for life. If one returns to previous eating habits then the danger of increased visceral fat returns with the prospect if the T2 BG levels returning too. In addition, there are other factors, for example the steroid meds I need to prevent allergic reactions, and it has been documented that those who are prescribed statin meds are at risk. As we age we are also more susceptable. So there are many many permutations of reasons for T2, and I do believe we each need to find our own individual way of peeling back the various layers of reasons and finding a solution to our unique circumstances. Some get lucky. Others have the heartbreak of the struggle, but never reach a solution. I have also met people who shrug, and carry on with their usual lifestyle and depend on doctors to prescribe increasing medication. It can be soul destroying, and so frustrating when some bright spark comes along and suggests it is oh so easy to cure T2. We get enough of that from the media. Those of us who strive to find our way need encouragement, not to be made to think we are to blame for our situation.
As for being 'cured', well I think it better to regard it as having 'reversed' my T2. Ever mindful that it is possible to reverse that reversal.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a myth.. any google search will show you that you don't enter the dreaded starvation mode until your fat stores have been close to eliminated...
Have to disagree with you here - my body went into starvation mode and started shutting my body down after only losing 7lb 7 weeks into a v low cal diet.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think everyone understands what 'starvation mode' is. It isn't the act of starving. It isn't being close to death due to not eating. It is when your body uses fuel more efficiently so that it runs on ever fewer calories. It thinks it is starving and therefore does its best to survive on very little. This means that you can still be obese, but not able to lose weight because your body stores fat in case there's another famine (diet) on the way.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think everyone understands what 'starvation mode' is. It isn't the act of starving. It isn't being close to death due to not eating. It is when your body uses fuel more efficiently so that it runs on ever fewer calories. It thinks it is starving and therefore does its best to survive on very little. This means that you can still be obese, but not able to lose weight because your body stores fat in case there's another famine (diet) on the way.
@zand agree with you there. I was told that I would not lose weight until my Thyroid, which was causing the problem, made up it's mind and was warned not to let my calorie intake drop too low as my body would shut down again. Nobody chooses to be obese and I'm sure if it was as easy to lose weight as the OP intimates there would be a lot less obese people but, unfortunately, it ain't that easy for a lot of us me included.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@zand agree with you there. I was told that I would not lose weight until my Thyroid, which was causing the problem, made up it's mind and was warned not to let my calorie intake drop too low as my body would shut down again. Nobody chooses to be obese and I'm sure if it was as easy to lose weight as the OP intimates there would be a lot less obese people but, unfortunately, it ain't that easy for a lot of us me included.

'Nobody chooses to be obese'

Well it was easy enough for me.
Cause and effect really. I ate a lot.
It was harder not to be obese, but only in the sense I decided not to eat as much.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
'Nobody chooses to be obese'

Well it was easy enough for me.
Cause and effect really. I ate a lot.
It was harder not to be obese, but only in the sense I decided not to eat as much.

as if....

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I know it seems to have been denied a few times, but that's the idea of the Newcastle diet, and the point of this thread really.
It's a very low calorie diet, and you can't do low calorie without restricting food intake.

If that doesn't work for you personally, this threads for the rest of us that do have success, or those that will have success by this method I guess then.

Reactions: Djstevesire

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know it seems to have been denied a few times, but that's the idea of the Newcastle diet, and the point of this thread really.
It's a very low calorie diet, and you can't do low calorie without restricting food intake.

If that doesn't work for you personally, this threads for the rest of us that do have success, or those that will have success by this method I guess then.
Can't agree that the thread is for those that will have success with ND, because despite my belief that it literally saved me from life limiting bariatric surgery, I know that it will not work for everyone. In addition, my 'success' with the method has not 'cured' my obesity.
It has been mentioned in forum that I should follow the ND again to reduce the excess weight. It is important to consider the whole concept, not just cherry pick the parts we like and ignore the rest. To repeat the previous success I had, I could probably lose weight quickly with the severe calorie restriction part. The problem would be the period after the very low calorie phase. If following the method correctly, and following up with a permanent calorie restriction to half to two thirds of previous consumption I would need to consume between 600 to 750 calories a day. This is because I currently maintain my weight by having between 1200 to 1500 calories a day. Anyone who does ND as a solution to a period of feasting should be aware of the post very low calorie part of the method. It is couner-productive to have a 'feast / famine' lifestyle.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it works for you personally then - great! However as others have pointed out, it isn't a lifetime 'fix'. You have to continue with your new found good habits and is therefore not a 'cure' as such. Yes @douglas99 I know you are going to say 'if you break a finger etc etc' What I want people to realise is that it isn't just 8 weeks and then hey let's party! As @Pipp has said the real work starts after the 8 weeks when you continue to watch your weight and diet, for life. That is the essence of the ND, it's watching your waistline and food intake for life so that you don't get back into bad habits. In that way it's no different from any other method of controlling T2. If calorie control works for you then fine, however some of us find carb intake is far more important than calorie control. Some of us need to take insulin no matter what else we try.

Whatever way you choose to obtain HbA1cs that are in the normal range you have to be aware that this is for life not just for 8 weeks, 16 weeks etc. There just isn't a quick fix. If only....

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If it works or not doesn't make it easy. I have restricted my calories to between 600 and 700 a day for over 12 months losing 8 stone in the process but it was tough going and not easy at all. Though I am now used to it and so it has become easier.

It is not something I would recommend to everyone though.

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Professor Taylor says that a person can attempt to reverse diabetes without severe calorie restriction. Weight loss by any means, if there is weight to lose, may be enough.

From the horse's mouth http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/is-type-2-reversible-with-prof-roy-taylor.66863/#post-669950
Fully agree, @Avocado Sevenfold . For me, the immediate effect of reducing BG to non-diabetic levels was a great motivator. I think, that is the key to knowing if very low calorie diet is going to work to 'reverse' diabetes for the majority. Just as the bariatric surgery has that effect for some, the ND can for some do so without the surgery. However, many who have posted ( I think, exclusively female) struggle with weight loss by any method they have tried, I will reiterate, the OP seems, like much of the medical profession and media, to be blaming them for not trying hard enough.

Also, I do think, from my experience, and reading that of others over the last few years, if the reduction in BG from following very low calorie diet does not occur within a week or so of starting, then it probably is not going to be the right method for that individual. There have been some truly heartbreaking posts from members who have persisted with very low calorie diet far too long without the desired result. I have literally wept at posts where the person is reporting being almost emaciated but carrying on regardless. That must be soul destroying, and reinforce the notion that they are to blame.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If it works or not doesn't make it easy. I have restricted my calories to between 600 and 700 a day for over 12 months losing 8 stone in the process but it was tough going and not easy at all. Though I am now used to it and so it has become easier.

It is not something I would recommend to everyone though.
Can I ask, what you will do when you reach your target weight, @JohnEGreen ? That loss is a great achievement. I seem to remember you have had major surgery too, so well done.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

as if...

This would be worth a listen and a review of her work. There are people in this world who are not actually able to control what they eat with the consequences of eating "too" much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08b7vyg
http://www.neuroscience.cam.ac.uk/directory/profile.php?isf20