There is a cure.. how come nobody does this?

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been watching this thread, and trying to keep up.

As someone who used the Newcastle diet in the early days, I think my comments are valid.

Brief background:
I gained a lot of weight following a car crash 25 years ago that left me with spinal damage, and fairly immobile. I was diagnosed T2 in 2005. I followed the dietitian NHS advice of carbs with every meal. Remained diabetic and became morbidly obese.
Seven years ago I had been offered bariatric surgery, almost bullied into it, but being of curious nature I argued with consultant in weight management clinic that if it was necessary post surgery to follow a very restricted diet! I would prefer to follow the restricted diet but without the surgery.
It was my good fortune that at this time Prof Taylor et al were thinking the same way. My GP contacted the team for information, and although the Optifast meal replacements were not available, we were advised that Lipotrim would be an accepable alternative. I lost 49kg following the Taylor method of Total food replacement. This was initially for 12 weeks, with a break of 6 weeks when I ate veg and protein, skimmed milk, only carbs from these foods. Followed by another 8 weeks total food replacement.

The lower blood glucose to none diabetes levels happened within days of starting the first period of ND. this was despite me having had T2 for over 6 years when I started. This suggested to me that the Taylor et al assertion that it was the food restriction that reduced the BG levels was working for me. Since then, I regained some 20 kg of the weight lost. This was in the first two years after losing. Several reasons / explanations / excuses. First, that I had a couple of major surgeries, was dependent on hospital food and other people catering for around 18 months. Second, I took on some challenges from forum members to test my theory that I had 'reversed' my T2, and ate some seriously high carb junk, in huge quantities. Do not try this at home folks. That stuff is addictive. Third, I tried LCHF without really understanding and embraced the HIGH FAT rather too well. My digestive system cannot cope with the levels of fat I was consuming, and so I have since modified that intake. Interestingly, despite the weight gain, until a few months ago, my HbA1c tests all came in at under 40. I do not see spikes in BG no matter what I eat, although I do avoid junk food and high carb food.

Why am I telling all this? Well I could, sort of, identify with the excitement of the OP @Djstevesire in that when I first discovered ND, and especially when it worked for me, I wanted to tell the world. This could be the holy grail for T2s. With hindsight, I realise that it was my 'holy grail', and that it could yet turn out to be a tarnished holy grail. Reason being, that although I have had some success, and I am very fortunate that 12 years after diagnosis I have no diabetic complications, I still have weight problems considered to be obese category, and I believe that unless / until I sort this I am in danger of higher BG levels returning.

I can only conclude, in answer to OP's original question that there are many reasons why 'There is a cure...... How come nobody does this?'
  1. Most people are still being given the advice from NHS docs that the Eatwell plate with its 'carbs with every meal' advice is the way to go.
  2. In their defence, HCPs have to follow the guidelines from on high. So those that have heard of the ND are not allowed to recommend it.
  3. All new treatment ideas have to be tested, verified, evaluated, replicated, etc, before becoming mainstream. The Newcastle team are in the process of further research.
  4. As for the 'nobody does this' element of the question. Some do. I can think of several members including myself. Those that have most success are those who read the research papers, follow the methodology, (without deviating to what many have described as "My Version of ND". There isn't a 'my version'!) I have despaired at the several members who have done the 'my version' and been disappointed.
There are , of course many more reasons, as others have pointed out.
People develop T2 for all sorts of reasons. ND would appear to be useful only to those who have too much visceral fat. It really is not the only method, and each of us needs to find our own best way. Sadly some will nt be able to. I really hope that in time, soon, the Taylor ND will be verified, and offered as an option for people in early days of pre-diabetes or T2 who can benefit from the method. Some will, others won't. Some will not want to try. Others will try and be disappointed that it will not work for them. Not everyone here will agree with me, but, I do believe that for those with the visceral fat, this can offer some hope. Let the 'buyer beware' though, because most people fail to adhere to the part of the ND that says after completing the severe calorie restriction phase it will be necessary to adhere to a calorie intake of between half to two thirds of that previously consumed. For life.

I like a lot your summary. Well done.

VictorVillalobos

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi,
Hi,

I think there are various different levels at which different bodies self-regulate.
If we (T2s) are aiming to get our blood glucose and HbA1cs down to those of non-diabetic levels, then an average blood glucose of 5.5 is actually well above optimal.

http://healthy-ojas.com/sites/default/files/assets/diabetes/a1c-chart-adag.png
a1c-chart-adag.png

Dr Bernstein claims (with a fair amount of supporting evidence, including his own personal experience of reversing his diabetic complications and being virtually complication-free in in 80s) that to reverse complications we should aim for an HbA1c of 4.6 (that is in the 20s in UK A1c units), which is an average blood glucose level of 4.7mmol/l

(way out of my reach, but it makes for a brilliant target ;) )

Edited to add the text in blue.
where did you read that from Dr Bernstein? interested to read more. Thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

where did you read that from Dr Bernstein? interested to read more. Thanks.

Have a look at his videos and books. I am afraid I read it so long ago I couldn't quote the exact source, but it will have either come from the book of his that I reference in my signature, or his videos, since they are the only things of his that I have seen.