There is a cure.. how come nobody does this?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
And what makes you think many of us haven't gone down this path or various others. Why not have a look at the Newcastle Diet threads on this forum and the various peoples stories going back many years (mine included where my first 3 months from diagnosis is link in my signature). For your info there are quite a few people that have tried it and it hasn't worked.

For more detail have a look at professor Roy Taylor's work at Newcastle university

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why are people not doing this and choosing instead to live a life with diabetes?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3168743/#!po=59.0909

Yes, it is really puzzling that T2D are actively being discouraged from even considering this and other carbs reduction approach by mainstream medical community and diabetic associations around the world when

Type 2 diabetes is clearly reversible following bariatric surgery [7]. The normalisation of plasma glucose concentration follows within days of surgery, long before major weight loss has occurred, and it has become widely assumed that the protective effects of gastrointestinal surgery are mediated by altered secretion of incretin hormones [8, 9]. Improved control of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes by moderate energy restriction has been demonstrated by others [10].

But there remains the privilege and fortunate few of us who went ahead anyway to explore a similar path with remarkable success...

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi and welcome to the forum @Djstevesire. Many of the Type 2s do control our condition by changing our approach to eating - adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat diet.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
People do not choose to live a life with diabetes .. they are being given the wrong advice from the Drs and following that .. Not all T2's can reverse the condition ...
This is Not a Life Style Choice its Type 2 Diabetes

Edit to add :: @Djstevesire .. Not everyone can reverse their T2 anyway .. Your title comment is not helpful, how long have you been diabetic

Last edited:

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
My BMI is 22.4!

Reactions: Prem51

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Type 2 Diabetes is NOT reversible. While we can stop it in its tracks, whether through VLC diets or LCHF, we are not cured. We can't go back to eating a so-called normal diet, otherwise we're back to being diabetic again.

"Remission" may be a better word to use here.

VLC diets like the Newcastle diet are just one way of controlling T2D.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Type 2 Diabetes is NOT reversible. While we can stop it in its tracks, whether through VLC diets or LCHF, we are not cured. We can't go back to eating a so-called normal diet, otherwise we're back to being diabetic again.

"Remission" may be a better word to use here.

VLC diets like the Newcastle diet are just one way of controlling T2D.

Nope, we can.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you are saying .. we can reverse diabetes .. I do agree with you as I also appear to have reversed mine .. I eat what I want now with no impact on my T2
Do you eat what you did before becoming diabetic and in the same quantities? I can now eat most of the things I did before, though I avoid white bread and beer as much as possible and don't eat milk chocolate or sugary stuff. But I eat them less often and in smaller quantities which has consistently been giving me fbgs of around 6.3
But if I went back to eating the way I did I think my bs would go up again.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Do you eat what you did before becoming diabetic and in the same quantities? I can now eat most of the things I did before, though I avoid white bread and beer as much as possible. But I eat them less often and in smaller quantities which has consistently been giving me fbgs of around 6.3
But if I went back to eating the way I did I think my bs would go up again.

I doubt I no longer eat around 4000 calories a day, which would have been mainly Greggs pies and donuts.

Mediterranean diet now, and enough to not gain weight on.
But a balanced diet of carbs, protein, and oils.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Not quite dear.. you have said yourself that you have to maintain your weight loss. So you haven't gone back to eating the junk that made you obese - your words...You control your condition like everyone else by keeping weight off.

It's quite funny when posters have to resort to
'oh, it's not reversed, you aren't fat anymore, and you can't overeat every day'

I'm happy with an unrestricted diet, I don't need to pile weight back on to prove I'm no longer diabetic, dear.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I doubt I no longer eat around 4000 calories a day, which would have been mainly Greggs pies and donuts.

Mediterranean diet now, and enough to not gain weight on.
But a balanced diet of carbs, protein, and oils.

Then as @bulkbiker says you haven't reversed, cured or put into remission (?) your diabetes.
You are continuing to control it by diet.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's quite funny when posters have to resort to
'oh, it's not reversed, you aren't fat anymore, and you can't overeat every day'

I'm happy with an unrestricted diet, I don't need to pile weight back on to prove I'm no longer diabetic, dear.

Sorry what you eat maybe unrestricted but the amounts certainly are.. so you maintain control by diet.. a different diet to me indeed but restricted all the same.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Then as @bulkbiker says you haven't reversed, cured or put into remission (?) your diabetes.
You are continuing to control it by diet.

Well, the greggs festive bake, the christmas pudding, the mince pies, the cadbury's chocolate still tastes as good at christmas, as it ever did this year.

Guess I'll have to keep on the diet.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes I ate mince pies, Stollen, and (dark) chocolate over Christmas too (not Xmas pudding as I'm not that keen on it), but in smaller quantities than I would have before. and I put on 3 lbs, worse my visceral fat went up from 7 to 8..
And in January I am very low carbing, eating mainly just soup in the evening to get my bs and weight down before my next HbA1c test in March.

Reactions: zand

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Common sense would dictate that if you ate all the **** in the quantities that got you in this mess in the first place then you're heading straight back there over time.

Common sense would also dictate that once you get your BS under control then only a fool would ever risk heading straight bakc there and having to try and do it all over again.

So, you have T2 that is controlled and will need to be controlled for the rest of your life.

This isn't a **** waving competition, think yourselves lucky that you were fortunate enough to be able to roll it back to acceptable levels and see it for what it actually is.... Controlled T2!

If you do actually eat the **** that got you there in the first place again, then you are a fool, it's that simple.

Reactions: maglil55 and Prem51

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes I ate mince pies, Stollen, and (dark) chocolate over Christmas too, but in smaller quantities than I would have before.
And in January I am very low carbing, eating mainly just soup in the evening to get my bs down before my next HbA1c test in March.

I ate about the same as my family.
Just the same as one member though, not them all combined.

It's interesting why 'diabetes' is seem as an 'irreversible' disease to some.

I go out, I get a cold, I get better. So is my cold in remission? If I go out again, I'm always going to catch another.
I break a leg, it heals, is it in remission, because if I do the same again, I'll break it again.
I get fat, I become diabetic. I cure it. So yes, I can get fat again, I'm sure diabetes will come back.

But, possibly the point some people can't see, is there is no need to try to overeat into that condition.
Living normally, on a normal, unrestricted diet, with a normal amount of food, like the rest of the normal world, no, I won't put on weight.