insulin needles sizes

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hey just wanted to find out what size insulin needles everyone is using im using 5mm i knnow there are 4mm and 8mm size needles is ther any advantages is having smaller 4mm needles?.

Reactions: KezG

Mep

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have only ever used 8mm needles.... I haven't had any issues with them other than I prefer DB brand over any other.

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I don't know whether or not it depends on if you are bigger built but 4mm is the recommended needle size, as it's meant to reach the correct depth of skin/fat for best use of insulin

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i know this is gonna sound wierd but when i inject in my stomach area insulin doesn't absorb properly but when i inject in my buttock insulin works as it should i use 5mm needles aswell

KezG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tripe, most shellfish.. mussels, cockles etc...
I use 4mm needles.. lost a fair bit of weight pre-diagnosis so there's not much depth to the fat under my skin to inject in to.

snowleopard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was given 4mm needles from the off. They are plenty long enough, even when I inject through a shirt as I do most times during the day. I read on here a few weeks ago of someone getting a rapid effect from Lantus as a result of not injecting it into fat. I imagine that is a higher risk if you use long needles.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was originally given 8mm needles but my DN changed them to 6mm which I find much more comfortable

Soplewis12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Grumpy People
I was given 4mm needles from the off. They are plenty long enough, even when I inject through a shirt as I do most times during the day. I read on here a few weeks ago of someone getting a rapid effect from Lantus as a result of not injecting it into fat. I imagine that is a higher risk if you use long needles.
I know you shouldnt inject in to the higher area of your tummy (up near rib cage) due to lack of fat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
hey just wanted to find out what size insulin needles everyone is using im using 5mm i knnow there are 4mm and 8mm size needles is ther any advantages is having smaller 4mm needles?.

I'd imagine the difference between using a 4mm needle as opposed to a 5mm would be negligible.

i know this is gonna sound wierd but when i inject in my stomach area insulin doesn't absorb properly but when i inject in my buttock insulin works as it should i use 5mm needles aswell

Sounds like you may have over-used the stomach area (google Lipohypertrophy), don't forget you can use your arms and legs too to inject insulin.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to add I use 5mm.

But talking about insulin needles, did anyone watch Silent Witness, the last 2 episodes, there was a baddy in jail who was T1D and they had to inject him his insulin, the size of the needle was big enough to inject the insulin directly in to the guys liver!

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The point (pun intended) of shorter needles is to avoid injecting into muscle by mistake. Injections into muscle means a much faster absorption rate compared to fat and can lead to hypos. BD (Beckton Dickinson) have a patent on 'pentapoint' needles whereby there are more bits of metal shaved out of the business end of the needle making it nicer to poke through your skin.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Just to add I use 5mm.

But talking about insulin needles, did anyone watch Silent Witness, the last 2 episodes, there was a baddy in jail who was T1D and they had to inject him his insulin, the size of the needle was big enough to inject the insulin directly in to the guys liver!

Yeah, I saw that and thought, yikes! But he was a bad mutha so Jack was maybe just thinking lose the 4mm and how d'ya like these apples instead...