1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

insulin needles sizes

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by static192, Feb 8, 2017.

1. static192

static192 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hey just wanted to find out what size insulin needles everyone is using im using 5mm i knnow there are 4mm and 8mm size needles is ther any advantages is having smaller 4mm needles?.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mep

Mep Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have only ever used 8mm needles.... I haven't had any issues with them other than I prefer DB brand over any other.

3. Soplewis12

Soplewis12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't know whether or not it depends on if you are bigger built but 4mm is the recommended needle size, as it's meant to reach the correct depth of skin/fat for best use of insulin

4. static192

static192 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i know this is gonna sound wierd but when i inject in my stomach area insulin doesn't absorb properly but when i inject in my buttock insulin works as it should i use 5mm needles aswell

5. KezG

KezG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use 4mm needles.. lost a fair bit of weight pre-diagnosis so there's not much depth to the fat under my skin to inject in to.

6. snowleopard

snowleopard Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was given 4mm needles from the off. They are plenty long enough, even when I inject through a shirt as I do most times during the day. I read on here a few weeks ago of someone getting a rapid effect from Lantus as a result of not injecting it into fat. I imagine that is a higher risk if you use long needles.

7. Ann1982

Ann1982 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was originally given 8mm needles but my DN changed them to 6mm which I find much more comfortable

8. Soplewis12

Soplewis12 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know you shouldnt inject in to the higher area of your tummy (up near rib cage) due to lack of fat.

9. Ledzeptt

Ledzeptt Type 3c · Well-Known Member

10. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I'd imagine the difference between using a 4mm needle as opposed to a 5mm would be negligible.

Sounds like you may have over-used the stomach area (google Lipohypertrophy), don't forget you can use your arms and legs too to inject insulin.

11. slip

slip Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Just to add I use 5mm.

But talking about insulin needles, did anyone watch Silent Witness, the last 2 episodes, there was a baddy in jail who was T1D and they had to inject him his insulin, the size of the needle was big enough to inject the insulin directly in to the guys liver!

12. CapnGrumpy

CapnGrumpy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The point (pun intended) of shorter needles is to avoid injecting into muscle by mistake. Injections into muscle means a much faster absorption rate compared to fat and can lead to hypos. BD (Beckton Dickinson) have a patent on 'pentapoint' needles whereby there are more bits of metal shaved out of the business end of the needle making it nicer to poke through your skin.

13. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that and thought, yikes! But he was a bad mutha so Jack was maybe just thinking lose the 4mm and how d'ya like these apples instead...

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook