HbA1c Levels lowered in 3 months

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hello again..

I've just had results for my latest a1c test and they are now 42 (previously 46 in Nov 2015, 51 in October 2017 and 49 in November 2017)

I was told if I get my levels under 48 I could manage it without medication and I am rather pleased to have lowered it to 42 - prediabetic levels.

If I carry on following your great advice LFHC I presume I can get it even lower? Anyone else the same as me?

Also my cholesterol went from 5.2-5.3.. should I be worried? Is this high? I want to get it under 5 ideally.. any tips?

Thanks all for your advice

Reactions: MelissaC and Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am hoping you meant to type LCHF as the means by which you lowered your HbA1c .. less likely with Low Fat High Carb...
There is a huge debate about cholesterol levels. it is fairly widely agreed though that the overall number is meaningless and that you need a breakdown of the individual elements HDL/LDL /Triglycerides before making any pronouncement on the level. Did your test have those elements?

Reactions: Prem51 and Freema

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did mean LCHF! Haha... I did ask the lady what my LDL AND HDL were but she didn't know so I requested a doctor call me to let me know the difference. The diabetic nurse wanted to put me on Statins if not under 5 but I have refused point blank to take them.

I am hoping you meant to type LCHF as the means by which you lowered your HbA1c .. less likely with Low Fat High Carb...
There is a huge debate about cholesterol levels. it is fairly widely agreed though that the overall number is meaningless and that you need a breakdown of the individual elements HDL/LDL /Triglycerides before making any pronouncement on the level. Did your test have those elements?
HF!!! Lol

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My cholesterol readings, first went down and then up a bit. They are still lower than when I started but it was the "good" cholesterol that has gone up on LCHF

Reactions: Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The average adult cholesterol level in the UK is 5. That would indicate that 5 is normal. Mine is 5.1. I am not concerned.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
My HbA1C was 62 in August last year (7 weeks after I started LCHF) and 40 in November. I'm also hoping for a further reduction at my next check in May.

Re the cholesterol - have you lost weight? Apparently some people's LDL (and therefore total cholesterol) goes up while they are losing weight, but it's temporary and will resolve itself when weight stabilises. There's one nugget for you to throw at your HCP's if they nag you about the statins. Also read this: http://cholesterolcode.com/a-simple-guide-to-cholesterol-on-low-carb-part-i/

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If I carry on following your great advice LFHC I presume I can get it even lower? Anyone else the same as me?
Well done on your HbA1c reduction @MKD75 ! Yes you should be able to get lower into non-diabetic level. I went from 49 on diagnosis, to 44 at my 3 month retest, to 39 (non-diabetic) at my 12 month retest, though I was probably at non-diabetic level before that.
My Cholesterol level went up from 4.1 to 6.1, but my HDL ('good cholesterol') and ratios improved, so I'm not worried, though my GP wants me to reduce the total figure.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The average adult cholesterol level in the UK is 5. That would indicate that 5 is normal. Mine is 5.1. I am not concerned.

The UK average appears to be 5.7, not 5. (in adults) according to websites I've read.

@MKD75 I suggest you ask for a print out of your results. You will find this very useful in the future for comparisons, and also because knowledge is power. You need those cholesterol components, and also your kidney and liver functions and anything else they included in the tests. It is invaluable.

Well done on your HbA1c AND ALSO your total cholesterol - it is absolutely fine, and the slight rise could be a simple rounding up by the lab, or an increase in your HDL. Without a print out you won't know.

MKD75

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The UK average appears to be 5.7, not 5. (in adults) according to websites I've read.

@MKD75 I suggest you ask for a print out of your results. You will find this very useful in the future for comparisons, and also because knowledge is power. You need those cholesterol components, and also your kidney and liver functions and anything else they included in the tests. It is invaluable.

Well done on your HbA1c AND ALSO your total cholesterol - it is absolutely fine, and the slight rise could be a simple rounding up by the lab, or an increase in your HDL. Without a print out you won't know.
I will get the print out when I see my nurse later this month.

And not sure if anyone uses them but I've taken 2 x Bitter Melon herbal capsules everyday since finding out and am wondering if this helped lower my levels? Does anyone else use these?

Snaptoit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi MKD75. Congratulations on the reduction on your a1c test. Keep up the great work :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good progress and if you can keep it up hopefully lower next time.