1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

HbA1c Levels lowered in 3 months

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by MKD75, Feb 13, 2017.

1. MKD75

MKD75 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

hello again..

I've just had results for my latest a1c test and they are now 42 (previously 46 in Nov 2015, 51 in October 2017 and 49 in November 2017)

I was told if I get my levels under 48 I could manage it without medication and I am rather pleased to have lowered it to 42 - prediabetic levels.

If I carry on following your great advice LFHC I presume I can get it even lower? Anyone else the same as me?

Also my cholesterol went from 5.2-5.3.. should I be worried? Is this high? I want to get it under 5 ideally.. any tips?

Thanks all for your advice

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cath15

Cath15 Type 2 · Member

Well done x

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I am hoping you meant to type LCHF as the means by which you lowered your HbA1c .. less likely with Low Fat High Carb...
    There is a huge debate about cholesterol levels. it is fairly widely agreed though that the overall number is meaningless and that you need a breakdown of the individual elements HDL/LDL /Triglycerides before making any pronouncement on the level. Did your test have those elements?

• Like Like x 2
  4. MKD75

I did mean LCHF! Haha... I did ask the lady what my LDL AND HDL were but she didn't know so I requested a doctor call me to let me know the difference. The diabetic nurse wanted to put me on Statins if not under 5 but I have refused point blank to take them.

HF!!! Lol

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Good for you on the statins..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. daisyduck

daisyduck Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My cholesterol readings, first went down and then up a bit. They are still lower than when I started but it was the "good" cholesterol that has gone up on LCHF

• Like Like x 1
  7. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Congratulations, that's great.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

The average adult cholesterol level in the UK is 5. That would indicate that 5 is normal. Mine is 5.1. I am not concerned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MKD75

Thanks James. I thought 5 was average too so will stick to what I'm doing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. BarbaraG

BarbaraG Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My HbA1C was 62 in August last year (7 weeks after I started LCHF) and 40 in November. I'm also hoping for a further reduction at my next check in May.

Re the cholesterol - have you lost weight? Apparently some people's LDL (and therefore total cholesterol) goes up while they are losing weight, but it's temporary and will resolve itself when weight stabilises. There's one nugget for you to throw at your HCP's if they nag you about the statins. Also read this: http://cholesterolcode.com/a-simple-guide-to-cholesterol-on-low-carb-part-i/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. coleyd

coleyd Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fab news well done

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

Well done on your HbA1c reduction @MKD75 ! Yes you should be able to get lower into non-diabetic level. I went from 49 on diagnosis, to 44 at my 3 month retest, to 39 (non-diabetic) at my 12 month retest, though I was probably at non-diabetic level before that.
    My Cholesterol level went up from 4.1 to 6.1, but my HDL ('good cholesterol') and ratios improved, so I'm not worried, though my GP wants me to reduce the total figure.

13. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

The UK average appears to be 5.7, not 5. (in adults) according to websites I've read.

@MKD75 I suggest you ask for a print out of your results. You will find this very useful in the future for comparisons, and also because knowledge is power. You need those cholesterol components, and also your kidney and liver functions and anything else they included in the tests. It is invaluable.

Well done on your HbA1c AND ALSO your total cholesterol - it is absolutely fine, and the slight rise could be a simple rounding up by the lab, or an increase in your HDL. Without a print out you won't know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. MKD75

I will get the print out when I see my nurse later this month.

And not sure if anyone uses them but I've taken 2 x Bitter Melon herbal capsules everyday since finding out and am wondering if this helped lower my levels? Does anyone else use these?

15. Snaptoit

Snaptoit Type 2 · Member

Hi MKD75. Congratulations on the reduction on your a1c test. Keep up the great work :)

16. Hiitsme

Hiitsme Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Good progress and if you can keep it up hopefully lower next time.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook