Poor 6 Monthly Results & Very Worried

johnoo

Just been for 6 month check up, very poor HbA1c 75 MMOL, last time it was 58MMOL.
Am very worried!
Advise?
What is a low carb diet? Please give food examples for Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner.
Also I have a problem with "Sugar Dump" & also Porridge makes my blood sugar go very high.
Am worried to death, fear Insulin injections coming & do not think I could accept this treatment
Thanks for all help if/when it comes

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello @johnoo, 1st i will request the info pack for new posters( notice you 1st appeared in 2013) from @daisy1
Please have a good read and come back with your q's
This illness we face is no respecter of those who take things casually!and i mean that in the nicest way,so as i say, were all in this together and the posters here will help each other to beat this together.clive

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A very good place to start is here

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/60-seconds

Low carb means what it says. A serious reduction in the amount of carbohydrate you eat, particularly the major carbs such as bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals and anything made with flour. They all convert to glucose once inside the system, and all that glucose will be swimming round your blood stream causing damage.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@johnoo have you had a look at the low carb thread, what have you eaten today? It might give you some ideas of the kind of meal plans others are using.

Reactions: Chook

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Clive,
Do I understand it that I will get a message about the "Info Pack"?

Yes johnoo,daisy 1 will post it on this. Thread for you ,have a good read and check out the " what have you eaten today " thread

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If it spikes you - don't eat it.
Even if it has got 'healthy' written on the packet in big red letters - if it is dense carbohydrate, do not eat it.
There are lots of things you can eat, and more are appearing all the time.I just found a load of different mixtures in Tesco - being sold off or I would not normally have bought them - they were in packs, but low carb - salads, bean sprout, pepper mixes - they seem to be OK - and they are all measured and labelled so they might be good for someone starting out. Most supermarkets have a low carb vegetable mixture or two - watch out for those with sweetcorn as it is a grain and if you are sensitive to them can cause an elevated BG level. I can't eat porridge either nor any grains.
I was happy doing Atkins at first - now I am really very happy after I got my second set of blood test results.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i tried a link but it didn't work. Go to the top of the page to the red band and click on forums. This will give you a list of all the different threads. Scroll down and you will find food and nutrition. If you look down to the low carb section and click on it it will take you to the low carb section and then look out for low carb what have you eaten today. Hope this helps. @johnoo

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP @johnoo asked for ideas for meals. Many people seem to find breakfast the hardest - we have been so brainwashed that we must eat something that looks like torn up cardboard in watery low fat milk - so I will start with what we have had for breakfast over the past week:
1. poached egg with wilted spinach (done in the bag in the microwave,) with butter and grated cheese.
2. two fried eggs and bacon
3. mushrooms cooked in butter, with a few cherry tomatoes and a bit of rocket or spinach on the side.
4. scrambled egg and black pudding
5. various cheeses, hams/chorizo and a hard boiled egg
6. tinned sardines, with a salad garnish and some home made linseed bread
7. scrambled egg and smoked salmon
.... and not a speck of cardboard to be seen!
This meal keeps us going until early afternoon, no snacks.
Sally

johnoo

Think I'm OK for Breakfast, generally have a "Fry" or Kippers with eggs.
Reason, I know that cereals & Porridge send my sugar sky high.
Problem I think is Lunch:-
I tend to have 5 or 6 pieces of fruit:- Apple/Pear/banana then two prunes & a Fig
Is this bad??

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My first meal of the day is usually lunch-like, a salad with olive oil dressing or real mayonnaise and a couple of slices of ham or corned beef or leftover sausages, or boiled eggs and grated cheese, or tuna, sometimes kippers, or salmon or smoked haddock or cod, roast chicken thighs are good too. I used to do a tomato with the salad, but I have been getting sweet peppers recently

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Think I'm OK for Breakfast, generally have a "Fry" or Kippers with eggs.
Reason, I know that cereals & Porridge send my sugar sky high.
Problem I think is Lunch:-
I tend to have 5 or 6 pieces of fruit:- Apple/Pear/banana then two prunes & a Fig
Is this bad??
@johnoo I think you knew the answer before posting. But test before your fruit and then 2 hours after.

But it is a fair bet they do as they contain fructose in high doses

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just started this past week low carb and it's worth it to keep the glucose levels down . You can do it ! I can't eat potato banana oats or rice things like that

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

johnoo

@johnoo I think you knew the answer before posting. But test before your fruit and then 2 hours after.

But it is a fair bet they do as they contain fructose in high doses
Strange, because the linked list from Daiseyduck in the next post says fruit is OK.
I'm even more confused!!