Wrap or bagel

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Out forblunch today scanned the menu and there are just 2 choices but not sure which one is better carb wise either Duck wrap with asian vegetables or bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Looked online not much help so hoping my diabetic guru's could steer me in chiosing the best of a bad bunch.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cream cheese and smoked salmon.. ditch the bagel?
I hate smoked salmon though.. the duck may come with a sweet sauce (hoisin) and the veg will almost certainly have carrots both of which I would avoid... maybe suggest an alternate venue?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would ask them to do the fillings 'naked' without either the bagel or the wrap.
However, of the two, the bagel will be higher carb. Much heavier, and therefore more g of carbs.

chillsuk

I'm interested in the Low Carb diet. I was diagnosed over 25 years and in the old days the recommendation was eat slowly absorbed carbohydrates and very little fat. Recommended breakfast was cereals : either weetabix or shredded wheat. I must say I have trouble getting my mind out of this way of thinking. I rely mostly on microwave ready meals as I'm also disabled and a wheelchair user. Is there a list of what microwave ready meals are good for us Type 2 diabetics?

Reactions: Angelofthemarches

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Out forblunch today scanned the menu and there are just 2 choices but not sure which one is better carb wise either Duck wrap with asian vegetables or bagel with cream cheese and smoked salmon. Looked online not much help so hoping my diabetic guru's could steer me in chiosing the best of a bad bunch.

I agree with the others. I would ask for the cheese and salmon option without the bagel. (You could always take your own treasured Lidl roll with you - they may not notice!)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Or.... you could skip lunch ;)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I'm interested in the Low Carb diet. I was diagnosed over 25 years and in the old days the recommendation was eat slowly absorbed carbohydrates and very little fat. Recommended breakfast was cereals : either weetabix or shredded wheat. I must say I have trouble getting my mind out of this way of thinking. I rely mostly on microwave ready meals as I'm also disabled and a wheelchair user. Is there a list of what microwave ready meals are good for us Type 2 diabetics?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

A lot of people have a problem with changing their mindset from 'healthy' carbs to low carbs but you will get more of a response if you were to start your own thread. :) :)

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I went out for lunch and had the hamburger (minus the bun!)
You could always ask if they could remove the bagel and ask for a side salad to accompany it?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually order a burger or chicken sandwich minus the bun and a veggie side rather than chips. My other go to is a salad with a creamy dressing. Sugar is hidden everywhere in oil based dressings.

I would think the cream cheese and salmon would be good on a big piece of lettuce?

Bellatom

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Well I went and decided not too have either had haddock in a very thin batter and passed on the chips.
However failed on the pud had a very small scoop of vanilla ice cream unfortunately it was on top of a beautiful chunk of sticky toffee pudding floating on a toffee sauce.
Haven't eaten anything else today.
Got the will power of a gnat.
Thank you everyone for your advice next time will take you all along so you can seal my mouth together.
Worst thing of all I was out with two Diabetes CNS nurses.
Didn't stand a chance.