Approved Temperature controlled insulin storage features (Survey)

Design_Tom_

Hi,
I've just done your survey.. Some natty design going on there!
I use the Freo wallet traveling to hot destinations..

Realy? The only application needed is to keep insulin cool. Any other periferals can be shoved in a bag..?

So.. Looking at your design. This would sit great in a "cup holder" in a car.. (Or my case camper van.)
Get rid of the intended LCD temp display & use a low power blue LED clearly stating it's at optimum temp..
The LED can flash while charging & change colour if the power is dying...?
Lol, I'm already mentally hardwiring this puppy into the 12v system on my van & burying the cable...

The internal compartment in this container could be "interchangeable" pending on the use of vials or pens with spare cartridges....? Keeping it all rattle free in transit... Looking at the drawings & concept. You got it bang on!!
Crazy that you mention the LEDs as I was literally just writing in my logbook how I could potentially change the LCD display for something simpler!

I love the interchangeable insert idea, I have been struggling to work out how to make the design hold more things without making it bigger but I think you hit the nail on the head with that!

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Crazy that you mention the LEDs as I was literally just writing in my logbook how I could potentially change the LCD display for something simpler!

I love the interchangeable insert idea, I have been struggling to work out how to make the design hold more things without making it bigger but I think you hit the nail on the head with that!

Here's the rub regarding the size.... What method are you using to keep this device's interior cool?
Lol, I don't see any space for a condenser, compressor & an evaporator in there too.. "Stand alone" power source for on the go?
No venting either on the design casing....

No "mockery" intended. I would love to see your idea fly!

Funny enough. I Was once toying with taking a vent from the AC unit in the back of my van & route it to an insulated small cool box? I drive a Mazda Bongo. Front & rear integrated heater matrix & AC.

But something like your idea in a cup holder (my van has loads.) or hidden in the cubby hole in the dash... I can see your device working off it's own power when the ignition is off. & charging when running.. Or powered via a "leisure battery"?
No more leaving in a Frio under the van when it's hot... (The Frio needs to evaporate to work.)

Your concept is actually better (more realistic.) than any bullshine diabetes "cure." ;)

Last edited:

Design_Tom_

Here's the rub regarding the size.... What method are you using to keep this device's interior cool?
Lol, I don't see any space for a condenser, compressor & an evaporator in there too.. "Stand alone" power source for on the go?
No venting either on the design casing....

No "mockery" intended. I would love to see your idea fly!

Funny enough. I Was once toying with taking a vent from the AC unit in the back of my van & route it to an insulated small cool box? I drive a Mazda Bongo. Front & rear integrated heater matrix & AC.

But something like your idea in a cup holder (my van has loads.) or hidden in the cubby hole in the dash... I can see your device working off it's own power when the ignition is off. & charging when running.. Or powered via a "leisure battery"?
No more leaving in a Frio under the van when it's hot... (The Frio needs to evaporate to work.)

Your concept is actually better (more realistic.) than any bullshine diabetes "cure." ;)

So the idea behind the design is not to chill the insulin pens but to keep them within room temperature/below 25C. The only reason why I say this is because obviously that takes much less energy than chilling to like 4C.

Technology wise I think it is possible through the use of vacuum insulation panels that have extremely low thermal conductivity and a peltier module. I've calculated my heat loads to be about 1W at 40C (although in practice it may be more than this, hopefully can do some testing soon to get a better idea) and talking to my electronics tutor he think that a heat sink should be able to dissipate this without the need for a fan.

Ideally this product could be used to keep insulin within room temperature on the go and then be able to keep it chilled if it was plugged into mains. however, without a fan I think my heat load when chilling would be too great - so some more design work needs to be done if this is a desired feature for the product. (Off the top of my head it could plug into a charging station with a fan built in rather than have it in the actual product).

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So the idea behind the design is not to chill the insulin pens but to keep them within room temperature/below 25C. The only reason why I say this is because obviously that takes much less energy than chilling to like 4C.

Technology wise I think it is possible through the use of vacuum insulation panels that have extremely low thermal conductivity and a peltier module. I've calculated my heat loads to be about 1W at 40C (although in practice it may be more than this, hopefully can do some testing soon to get a better idea) and talking to my electronics tutor he think that a heat sink should be able to dissipate this without the need for a fan.

Ideally this product could be used to keep insulin within room temperature on the go and then be able to keep it chilled if it was plugged into mains. however, without a fan I think my heat load when chilling would be too great - so some more design work needs to be done if this is a desired feature for the product. (Off the top of my head it could plug into a charging station with a fan built in rather than have it in the actual product).
I feel keeping the insulin at a safe ambient temp would be adiquate enough.. Insulin should have a 30 day life in this condition. In a hot vehicle alone this is vital. (I'm thinking drivers & tradesmen/women?)
Getting a new devolpment like this with a "battery" without explaination (like a Frio.) at airport security? Lol, I can't wait....

Design_Tom_

I feel keeping the insulin at a safe ambient temp would be adiquate enough.. Insulin should have a 30 day life in this condition. In a hot vehicle alone this is vital. (I'm thinking drivers & tradesmen/women?)
Getting a new devolpment like this with a "battery" without explaination (like a Frio.) at airport security? Lol, I can't wait....
In your opinion what is the maximum amount of pens/vials the design needs to be able to store?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In your opinion what is the maximum amount of pens/vials the design needs to be able to store?

Long time since I used the vial format... The dimensions seem ample for just the insulin.
You may need input from the average pumper regarding spare insulin? I do know they carry pens incase of a pump malfunction.

Pumper. I'll tag in @himtoo oh, and our own forum much respected "boffin" @tim2000s

For me as an injector..
Pen wise? (Regarding a loaded pen.) it's safe to say the average T1 would carry two different types. One with the fast acting, "bolus" & one with the basal (background.)
Traveling. Any spare pens (incase of a malfunction?) would be empty & carried in its own case.?
Now I'm talking about the reusable pens.. Some pens are disposable pre filled. (Don't ask me why? That idea is like scrapping the car when the tank is empty.)

Thinking of insulin dependant type 2s too!? Some only uses the basal. Others use both like a T1 would..

Overal. The mindset with the aplication for this device for a D is to stop the insulin spoiling/going off in high temp climates.?
With regards to a pen freezing (say on a skiing trip?) lol, that's just a simple matter of literally keeping the meds "close to our chest." No point in reinventing the pocket! ;)

M

ME_Valentijn

I've calculated my heat loads to be about 1W at 40C (although in practice it may be more than this, hopefully can do some testing soon to get a better idea) and talking to my electronics tutor he think that a heat sink should be able to dissipate this without the need for a fan.
I was having the same thought ... CPU heat sinks can be quite effective. Though they can also be fairly bulky ... perhaps the entire external case could act as a heat sink? It would need to be metal then, however.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Just to add to the conversation on this one, I've travelled a fair amount in hot climates using pens. My very simple solution was to take a small thermos flask with all insulin in it. I could get fifteen penfills and two bottles of long acting into it (enough to last three months, with my on the go stuff outside the flask), and temperature control was always achieved using cold water, whether that was chilled from a bottle or cold from the tap. As long as you changed the water out every 8-10 hours, it never got too warm.

The benefits for me were that I had a stainless steel container protecting my insulin, and that I didn't need to get power from anywhere. Cold water is normally fairly easy to get hold of. And it was a very cheap solution, at less than a tenner for the flask and usually free refills (except for the occasional bottle of water).

As it happens, I still use penfills for my pump refills as I don't want to carry vials - they are too easily broken. Again, as long as you can get a bunch in there, then there is nothing to worry about. I go through about 1 penfill per week, so a pack of five easily lasts me a month.

In terms of peripherals, I'm not sure I'd want an all in one storage container for everything. Most spares go in the bottom of the suitcase/backpack in a plastic bag or vanity case, and I'd be unlikely to carry more than a single pen and couple of needles in a bag if I was out and about. Again, most bags have decent small pockets for phones these days that handle that.

jrussell88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you have any data on insulin stability?

I spend a lot of time in a hot country and my 10ml Humalog vials have not shown any reduction in efficacy after a month at 35 to 39°C. I wouldn't leave them in the sun though.

Nor have I had any problems with penfill cartridges over shorter periods.