Diabetes,Work Grievances , Redundancy and Depression

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi all,
Ive posted a few times on here and found the feedback to be really helpful. This partiucular issue surrounds an employer in the UK.
I had some CSA problems back in October 16 and had a short sickness from work with stress as i tried to sort it out. i was absent from work for approx 2 weeks then returned. This is where everything went downhill - as part of my job, i work remotely and live where i work out in the streets with the help of a company tablet. i received a call whilst i was having my lunch at my house from a colleague who ( had no right to do so) asked me why my car was always in the drive. He told me he had been watching my car and house "morning noon and night" . i obviously reacted with anger, My diabetes type 2 management wasnt particularly great at the time (15-20 reading daily) and li reacted angrily to what he was telling me, I spoke with my manager and filed a Grievance which, in short, went through to Appeal , then "swept" under the carpet.
On the day of the telephone call from my colleague i received a call from my GP asking how i was feeling and i told him of the nightmare i had endured some hours before.
He advised that he would give me a further sick note and advised me to make the police aware which i did.
Unfortunately, the police advised it was an internal matter and had to be dealt with through HR in the first instance.
Since then, (believe it or not) , this colleague has now put a grievance in about me!!! which has knocked me back substantially with my health. Im currently (and have been since November 16) on the sick with Depression and whilst i have my Diabetes under control now with 3 x 500ml Metformin a day.
I really dont want to go back to this workplace due to the fact i have to work in this environment with my "stalker" but have learnt recently that my job (and others) are at risk of redundancy (by co-incidence).
I have also received a letter this morning about the next steps in my sickness absence procedure ie- A Capability Meeting which could lead to me receiving no redundancy and the company getting rid of me on Ill Health grounds. Can they do this????

Any Advice is again appreciated. Its a complex 'mess' i can understand but has anyone else been in this predicament.?
I aint a clue what to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi all,
Ive posted a few times on here and found the feedback to be really helpful. This partiucular issue surrounds an employer in the UK.
I had some CSA problems back in October 16 and had a short sickness from work with stress as i tried to sort it out. i was absent from work for approx 2 weeks then returned. This is where everything went downhill - as part of my job, i work remotely and live where i work out in the streets with the help of a company tablet. i received a call whilst i was having my lunch at my house from a colleague who ( had no right to do so) asked me why my car was always in the drive. He told me he had been watching my car and house "morning noon and night" . i obviously reacted with anger, My diabetes type 2 management wasnt particularly great at the time (15-20 reading daily) and li reacted angrily to what he was telling me, I spoke with my manager and filed a Grievance which, in short, went through to Appeal , then "swept" under the carpet.
On the day of the telephone call from my colleague i received a call from my GP asking how i was feeling and i told him of the nightmare i had endured some hours before.
He advised that he would give me a further sick note and advised me to make the police aware which i did.
Unfortunately, the police advised it was an internal matter and had to be dealt with through HR in the first instance.
Since then, (believe it or not) , this colleague has now put a grievance in about me!!! which has knocked me back subatantially with my help. Im currently (and have been since November 16) on the sick with Depression and whilst i have my Diabetes under control now with 3 x 500ml Metformin a day.
I really dont want to go back to this workplace due to the fact i have to work in this environment with my "stalker" but have learnt recently that my job (and others) are at risk of redundancy (by co-incidence).
I have also received a letter this morning about the next steps in my sickness absence procedure ie- A Capability Meeting which could lead to me receiving no redundancy and the company getting rid of me on Ill Health grounds. Can they do this????

Any Advice is again appreciated. Its a complex 'mess' i can understand but has anyone else been in this predicament.?
I aint a clue what to do.
Hi
Sorry to hear about your problems. You must be very annoyed by a work colleague 'spying' on you.
It is easy to over-react, but that could make matters worse. If redundancy is in the offing, you can't control that, but you should try to be in employment if/when it happens. So don't resign, go through the proper channels. You have nothing to fear if you were only absent for 2 weeks with a legitimate illness, so stick to the facts in any meeting. However, you talk about going back - if you are still away, this may affect matters.
As for your 'stalker', they are probably concerned about their own position, which is why they have put in a counter claim. Again stick to the facts and remain calm (I know it is easy for me to say).

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
Sorry to hear about your problems. You must be very annoyed by a work colleague 'spying' on you.
It is easy to over-react, but that could make matters worse. If redundancy is in the offing, you can't control that, but you should try to be in employment if/when it happens. So don't resign, go through the proper channels. You have nothing to fear if you were only absent for 2 weeks with a legitimate illness, so stick to the facts in any meeting. However, you talk about going back - if you are still away, this may affect matters.
As for your 'stalker', they are probably concerned about their own position, which is why they have put in a counter claim. Again stick to the facts and remain calm (I know it is easy for me to say).

Hi, sorry to hear about your problems at work. You said you work in the street with a company tablet. I am guessing some kind of street public survey. This workmate who you refer to, is he some kind of supervisor/manager. Also, if he is watching your car and house morning, noon and night he can`t be doing his own job very well. I admire your restraint in dealing with this "workmate". If this had happened to me, they would still be trying to extract his phone from a very delicate place. Kenny

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is so hard to give advice to you everything you would choose will have so much influence on your life conditions. , just want to wish you all the best

Reactions: suggs108

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@suggs108. are you a member of a union? it would be good to have someone with you at the meeting.

Have you got a copy of the sick absence/capability procedure? If not, I would get a copy and telephone your local Citizens Advice.

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
Hi, sorry to hear about your problems at work. You said you work in the street with a company tablet. I am guessing some kind of street public survey. This workmate who you refer to, is he some kind of supervisor/manager. Also, if he is watching your car and house morning, noon and night he can`t be doing his own job very well. I admire your restraint in dealing with this "workmate". If this had happened to me, they would still be trying to extract his phone from a very delicate place. Kenny

Hi thanks for the reply. What makes this situation more annoying is that he is the same 'level' as me!!!! He's been told by his manager he should've gone to him first but as you can imagine it all gets swept under the carpet

Reactions: Ali2003 and Freema

suggs108

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Liars
@suggs108. are you a member of a union? it would be good to have someone with you at the meeting.

Have you got a copy of the sick absence/capability procedure? If not, I would get a copy and telephone your local Citizens Advice.

Hi. That's exactly what I'm planning next . Thanks for the reply. Glad we are reading off the same sheet! Unfortunately I'm not in a union. The fees are astronomical and I simply couldn't afford it . I am, however, in contact with ACAS regularly.

Last edited: