pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
6.7 for me, bummer. Promptly did 10 minutes low intensity aerobics, tested again at 5.5.

Reactions: Prem51

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This is all now getting me really down and depressed. I've walked 30 miles in 7 days, fasted continuosly for over a month now with one meal a day and one or two days a week with no food intake for 48 hours. I've lost weight to the point that I'm looking ill and it has no bearing on my fasting glucose.... If I eat it'd just under 6 if I don't it's a bit lower. There's no downward trend.

Feel like giving up and going on a carb binge as it gives me lower fasting numbers.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be depressed or down. When I was ill I hit 6.5 after eating and was shocked( I know it's still considered normal range) as I'm used to seeing 5.3 or 4.8, and did 40 minutes of exercise and even cut carbs and still did not make any difference because I later understand it was the stress hormones keeping it high thought the day testing and repeat testing. I then focused my mind on other things and even going out to the park to relaxation, and came back it was in the 4s even though had eaten, but as soon as I started thinking about it again it each test would show high and high readings. I'm amazed how quick it responds...

Over exercising and cutting carbs too much seems to give me higher readings. I now eat more carbs when I know I'm going to do a long run. I have 160g+ carbs and I'm low 4s <100 and hitting 5.0(I would hate to think what <50g would do to me) I assume the body is rushing to convert stores into energy as it's running low. Insulin resistance is also increased by illness, stress from pain, injury or mental. As long as your after meals readings are in range then try increasing them as you're pre- diabetic not type 2. If not in range try doing a little walk to 1 hour after eating.

You seem to be over doing it. Go for 3 balanced meals a day (4-5 hours apart) with walks 1 hour after eating and see how it goes.

Also what glucose meter do you use?
Thanks for your kind words.

I use 3 meters, my preferred is the accu check mobile as it gives lower readings than the tee2 and codefree.

At the moment I'm using the accucheck in the morning for fasting numbers and then one of the others during the day to identify trends.

I'm peaking around 7.5 after meals and mid sixes after 2 hrs usually.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my last labs in June last year, fasting 6.7 hba1c 5.6 (38).

I bought the accucheck the same day and recorded 6.1 and 6.2 fasting in the following 2 days.

I then dropped sugar completely from coffee and cut down on cakes etc and got it to about 5.5 within a week.

So I have made progress, but it isn't normal and I want it to be normal and it's become obsessive.

But yes, starving myself, it has to stop as it's not helping.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Jamesuk9, I am really concerned for you. I have just read your first thread on the forum. You have not been diagnosed with prediabetes or diabetes and I worry you are going to make yourself ill treating a condition you do not have.

There is no evidence you will develop diabetes even if you are diagnosed with prediabetes at some point in the future.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nothing seems to bring my fasting level down, normally low to mid 6's, I've tried everything and have pretty much given up now. My post meal readings are generally okay, up to 7.5 1 hour and back to around 6 after 2 hours.
I guess that means I have IFG and not IGT.
Over the last year I've been trying to find a diet and carb level that is sustainable for me, my work and my lifestyle, it's around 80-100g a day now, I can't do lower.
I think the best I can hope for is a stable situation which doesn't worsen. It could be an uphill battle!

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks all for your support.

@Juicetin I feel your pain.

I'm not used to not winning in life and suffer with health anxiety since it all started to go South last year.

The positive is however that I've managed to normalise my BP without meds for the first time in twenty years.

I assumed I could do the same with blood sugar.

Maybe it's just not to be and I just give up trying and just maintain healthy eating and see what happens.