pre-diabetes, fasting blood sugars.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't worry about varied readings from fingers this is normal. The meters are not accurate and can be 10%? out plus blood glucose level are constantly changing.

Lost 6 stone moderate low carb within first 20 months fasting readings in the 4's all good, then lost control 2 years ago with HBA1C 47 now back to 40 'normal' last month

6.8 this morning (pasta last night ?) Thanks for that info I was a bit worried ; also ~ I really can't do extremely low carb without feeling wobbly ( got a 5.4 but was a bit weak kneed ) , I try the odd day , but moderate (like you've done ) is probably the best for me . Inspirational ~ Pre Diet

Reactions: Prem51

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@PreDiet 5.4 is really good not low. What you were feeling was your body not being used to normal levels as this will avoid complications. You need to try and get your body used to levels 4-6. I lost most weight at this level too.

Try 100grams of carbs a day and keep checking your meter. There are apps like myfitness pal and carbs and cals which can help you monitor your carb intake if you are smartphone savy.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@PreDiet 5.4 is really good not low. What you were feeling was your body not being used to normal levels as this will avoid complications. You need to try and get your body used to levels 4-6. I lost most weight at this level too.

Try 100grams of carbs a day and keep checking your meter. There are apps like myfitness pal and carbs and cals which can help you monitor your carb intake if you are smartphone savy.

Thanks:angelic: I was worried maybe some kind of hypo , it's the main reason for me snacking and not losing weight , I will persevere with lower Carb , managed under 100 today . Pens broken in my test kit so waiting for new till I retest , will give me time to get used to Low Carb . Will try Myfitness pal better than the on-line one which is incomplete. - Pre Diet :watching:

Sheppie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Just started 8-week blood sugar diet this week. Read book first before you start. Doing ok. Prediabetes diagnosed November 2015. Hba1c 46. Six months down to 42. Bought monitor for occasional checks. B.S. average 6.4mg. ( ex- practice nurse). Just turned 65. Will be on NHS oldies heap. Time to change lifestyle. BS already down 5.2 post prandial. Losing weight. 28lbs to go. Will keep you posted.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke up with a snotty nose and cough thinking this isn't going to be a good day. 6.7, highest in months.

Gingergirl

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Diagnosed 4 weeks ago and just off to the doctor having had a 5 hour hyperglycemic attack over the weekend. Had muscle spasms in arms and legs and drank about 6 cups of water per hour. Mind was racing. All only stopped when I stopped feeling thirsty. Going numb in legs at times and having memory loss over the past month too. Won't be able to eat anything with sugar or carbs ever again.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to have a late breakfast to give my body a rest and give time to heal after my winter cold, and another restless night with a blocked nose, so I decided to test my fasting pattern while in bed resting:
Last meal 8:30pm 35g carbs- 1 x battered chicken, 2 x bread, tomatoes, salad, olives , and mixed nuts:
2 hour after 4.8(10:30pm)
4 hours: 12:30am 4.9
11 hours: 7am 5.0 - dump
15 hours: 11:30am - 4.7
16 hours: 12:30pm 4.4 - I guess it will dump soon again, as I'm getting low. Time to eat...

Longest fast for me. I wish I had checked at around 5-6am, I would have seem 3.9 as I've seen many times before.
So from my test, fasting does depend on timing from last meal, and the reason it's a range as it drifts up and down as the body uses the glucose and puts more in. So don't be worried if one day you have a higher reading than the day before. I would test in the night , and 1 or more hours hour later after your normal time to see the pattern of how well your body regulates blood glucose when fasting.

I've found that regular fasting over time lessens the impact of glucose dumps during fasting periods. I now fast for around 20 hours daily. I get the initial liver flood first thing in the morning and then it lowers throughout the day to mid 4 low 5 by evening when I eat.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do long fasting and like today it left me feeling dizzy, I eat 3 or sometimes 4 times a day. It was just a test to see how the body regulates the blood glucose and if it can keep it in the fasting range.

If you're eating once and in the evening and fast most of the time then yes the liver will struggle. for me it does not sound like a good idea or fix the underlying issue but could lead to other more serious problems down the line.

It is normal for the liver to dump glucose, and would never want to stop that happening, the problem is when it dumps when not needed. I drift up and down within 1mmol/l... if evenings are lower than mornings then that's insulin resistance and the only way I have found that fixed insulin resistance was to do 30-45 minutes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) per day.
I do wonder sometimes if that's what's caused my glucose issues. I've eaten once a day for 35 yrs. I might try regular eating and see what happens.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, if you know you had too many carbs, exercise is your best tool to use. You'll be amazed how little exercise it takes(10-15 will burn it up easy depending workout rate, and you're ready for next meal :) ). The trick is not to do it too soon after eating( after 1 hour) with long workouts it would have used the glucose in the blood stream within the first 10 minutes and stores around 20 minutes, but the most amazing thing is the effects will last way past the next meal even the next day and will make you less insulin resistant. I was told to make ensure I eat protein within 30 minutes after a long workout to stop muscle loss. I'll be interested to see your fasting results tomorrow.
Interesting because I've noticed I get lower fasting numbers if I've done a few miles at pace of around 5 mph.

I did 4 miles today, and hit record pace for me of 6 mph and pulse 160. so my number in the morning could be interesting.