Worrying about the wrong things for last 25 years

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I've got to the point now where, although things bother me, nothing worries me more than the diabetes complications. I've always worried about very stupid things, especially work and just anxious all the time and it led me to drink too much etc. But now the only thing that really scares me is retinopathy. I'm doing everything I can to delay/prevent it, but angry that I didn't start LCHF/tight control much earlier.

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What's done is done, we can't do anything about the past now. If you've made a change that you think will be beneficial going forward then great! Try and redirect the worrying into determination to stick with it :)

M

mist

I've got to the point now where, although things bother me, nothing worries me more than the diabetes complications. I've always worried about very stupid things, especially work and just anxious all the time and it led me to drink too much etc. But now the only thing that really scares me is retinopathy. I'm doing everything I can to delay/prevent it, but angry that I didn't start LCHF/tight control much earlier.

Hey try not to be too hard on yourself. You worried about the things that seemed important at that particular point in your life, this is no different. Life is just a series of phases and our priorities, concerns and worries change with each phase.

Try and recognise your accomplishments, that you are now better situated to address your current concerns and that you still have time to make a difference.

The past no longer exists, it did once, when it was present and happening, but it's gone now, it only exists in your mind as memories and thoughts and they have no power over you at all, you are the one responsible for your thoughts and consequently how you will feel in any given moment, as every emotion is preceded by a thought.

The future, which hasn't happened yet, but is unravelling with each passing second is what you hold in your hands, and you can mould it however you please, so make something good out of it.

Best of luck to you.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Check this free, on line, no pressure course out. Even though you are now getting life into better proportion you may find the concepts discussed helpful https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/mindfulness-wellbeing-performance/6/todo/8614.

deborabaratto

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos and hypers
I totally get you @Peppergirl sometimes I'm in my grumpy mood and I think abou the almost 14 years that I eat wrong. But we have to focus in the present, eat well, exercise and check what works for you.
Hope you feel better! If not, tell me and we'll be grumpy for a little while and come back to normal mood haha

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi I've been type1 for 55 year and nobody was worse than me abusing my diabetes in my teens and early 20's,but from 23 onwards I got to grips with this bloody disease and fortunately I have only a couple of very minor complications.What done you can't change.

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I mean, I've got background retinopathy which is stable and a bit of nerve damage in my legs, but nothing too severe, so I know I'm lucky for my diabetes to be as good as it is. It's just that I've stopped worrying about minor things, which makes me worry why I'm not worrying more :) My concern is that something happens which stops my good control and sends me backwards. But I am trying...

M

mist

Thanks everyone. I mean, I've got background retinopathy which is stable and a bit of nerve damage in my legs, but nothing too severe, so I know I'm lucky for my diabetes to be as good as it is. It's just that I've stopped worrying about minor things, which makes me worry why I'm not worrying more :) My concern is that something happens which stops my good control and sends me backwards. But I am trying...

Remember this:

If you're depressed, you're living in the past
If your anxious, your living in the future
Live in the moment

Most things we worry about never come to pass, you know what you need to do to maintain your good control, relax, you're doing great ;)

M

mist

Also, never underestimate the good that laughter can do. I remember a time vividly when I was on the floor in a crumpled heap, crying and in a right old mess, when out of nowhere, my body erm, performed a common bodily function with an associated funny noise and it made me laugh, yes I'm childish like that, once I started laughing and smiling, I stood myself up, my tears started to dry and something in my mind just felt different after having that little chuckle to myself and everything seemed a little brighter and not half as bad as before.

Nothing had changed, I still had the same problems and concerns, my circumstances were still the same, it was only that moment of laughter that had picked me back up and given me a little extra headroom to work with.

Laugh, at anything you like, smile, at anything and everything.

βɪℒʟẙ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember this:

If you're depressed, you're living in the past
If your anxious, your living in the future
Live in the moment

Most things we worry about never come to pass, you know what you need to do to maintain your good control, relax, you're doing great ;)
Great comment buddy ..

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Hey try not to be too hard on yourself. You worried about the things that seemed important at that particular point in your life, this is no different. Life is just a series of phases and our priorities, concerns and worries change with each phase.

Try and recognise your accomplishments, that you are now better situated to address your current concerns and that you still have time to make a difference.

The past no longer exists, it did once, when it was present and happening, but it's gone now, it only exists in your mind as memories and thoughts and they have no power over you at all, you are the one responsible for your thoughts and consequently how you will feel in any given moment, as every emotion is preceded by a thought.

The future, which hasn't happened yet, but is unravelling with each passing second is what you hold in your hands, and you can mould it however you please, so make something good out of it.

Best of luck to you.
Like the way you think!quite the philosopher great advice,I'm a worrier but what you've said makes sense.K