cinnamon tea

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
I have heard cinnamon has a beneficial effect on sugar levels. I have bought some cinnamon tea bags and the ingredients state four types of pure cinnamon but there is no nutritional breakdown regarding sugars etc. It does not say there is any sugar in it but it tastes very sweet so I am wondering if its OK to drink it

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a glucose meter or a urine testing stick you could use to check?

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have heard cinnamon has a beneficial effect on sugar levels. I have bought some cinnamon tea bags and the ingredients state four types of pure cinnamon but there is no nutritional breakdown regarding sugars etc. It does not say there is any sugar in it but it tastes very sweet so I am wondering if its OK to drink it

maybe there is no sugar in it hard to tell for us here... some do try to measue it with one of their strips for testing blood sugar..
cinnamon tea and cinnamon do affect the blood sugar a bit downwards..(of cause only if there is no sugar in it) but avoiding carbs in the food we eat is really what makes a difference..
cinnamon have more kinds , and it is the cheaper kind that lowers blood sugar a bit, maybe due to some ingredient in it.
Cinnamon is not healthy eaten in very high amounts like over a teaspoon a day...

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/cinnamon-and-benefits-for-diabetes

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...on-reduces-blood-sugar-and-cholesterol-levels

Last edited:

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cinnamon does great to ur BG thats what i noticed. I read it somewhere that it lowers BG and tried it, its very good.
I try to avoid fruits, but sometimes i like to have a small apple between meals. Apple itself raises my BG but when i eat it with cinnamon it doesnt really affect my BG. what i do is just slice the apple like i usually do and just sprinkle some ground cinnamon on top. it tastes good and i can have some apple without worrying about my BG. :)

About ur tea, i would recommend making ur own teabags or use a filter, put some cinnamon in it and pour hot water over it in to ur cup. I dont trust any food/drink i buy from shops, if i feel like its sweet i dont have it coz it most likely has some kind of sugar in it. Its easier to get ground cinnamon and make ur own .

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
There are some herbs and spices that taste sweet even though they aren't. Fennel tea for example has no sugars in it, but still tastes very sweet. Chances are your tea (provided you brew it from a teabag with no added sugar) has no carbs in it even if your tongue tries to tell you otherwise. ;)

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
maybe there is no sugar in it hard to tell for us here... some do try to measue it with one of their strips for testing blood sugar..
cinnamon tea and cinnamon do affect the blood sugar a bit downwards..(of cause only if there is no sugar in it) but avoiding carbs in the food we eat is really what makes a difference..
cinnamon have more kinds , and it is the cheaper kind that lowers blood sugar a bit, maybe due to some ingredient in it.
Cinnamon is not healthy eaten in very high amounts like over a teaspoon a day...

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/cinnamon-and-benefits-for-diabetes

http://www.life-enhancement.com/mag...on-reduces-blood-sugar-and-cholesterol-levels

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
Yes I am trying to avoid carbs but does anyone else get the dizziness and foggy head with it. This isn't due to low BG levels as I never have hypos just trouble keeping it down. Is it something your body eventually adjusts to.

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
There are some herbs and spices that taste sweet even though they aren't. Fennel tea for example has no sugars in it, but still tastes very sweet. Chances are your tea (provided you brew it from a teabag with no added sugar) has no carbs in it even if your tongue tries to tell you otherwise. ;)

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
I just discovered from the tea website it is liquorice providing the sweetness but they say it is organic and at levels safe for everyone although the word diabetic does not appear. There is a load of scientific mathematical studies to prove the difference between organic and the sweet candy types. If in doubt I will make my own I think.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@nebraska_beauty - Hi :). I have read about Cinnamon lowering Blood Sugars in drinks. Is it true it helps to lower Blood Sugars? Have you tested before and then after?

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have read that you need to use Ceylon cinnamon as it less toxic than cassia cinnamon
To have a significant effect you have to take in 6 teaspoons. There are pills with extract of Ceylon cinnamon. It works by reducing insulin resistance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I drink a tea made with mint and liquorice which doesn't need sweetening but doesn't show any sugar content. I think it is available as a mixture, but I just put one bag of each into the pot. I use water just before it boils so as not to lose the mintiness. I do this only because I love the taste, not because I know of any benefit - though I do suspect that there is some truth in 'a little of what you fancy does you good'

Reactions: ME_Valentijn

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Yes I am trying to avoid carbs but does anyone else get the dizziness and foggy head with it. This isn't due to low BG levels as I never have hypos just trouble keeping it down. Is it something your body eventually adjusts to.
Hi, just picking up on your point on dizziness and foggy head. These are typical symptoms of the early stages of a low carb diet, particularly if you are going into the ketogenic zone. It is caused mainly by dehydration, so drink lots of water and add salt to your diet.

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
@nebraska_beauty - Hi :). I have read about Cinnamon lowering Blood Sugars in drinks. Is it true it helps to lower Blood Sugars? Have you tested before and then after?
Yes I have read a lot of studies on cinnamon lowering blood sugars which I why I bought the tea. It seems cinnamon is effective but you have to be sure there are no other added nasties or sugars in commercial products. Probably best just to buy a jar of cinnamon and then use it in or on your food.

Reactions: Liam1955

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
Hi, just picking up on your point on dizziness and foggy head. These are typical symptoms of the early stages of a low carb diet, particularly if you are going into the ketogenic zone. It is caused mainly by dehydration, so drink lots of water and add salt to your diet.
Thanks for that. I will do that and keep going. I did lose seven pounds in the first two weeks so it must be beneficial

Reactions: Liam1955

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
Hi
I have read that you need to use Ceylon cinnamon as it less toxic than cassia cinnamon
To have a significant effect you have to take in 6 teaspoons. There are pills with extract of Ceylon cinnamon. It works by reducing insulin resistance.
Well probably the pills are easier than dosing yourself with all that cinnamon. My tea states it contains vietnamese cinnamon and Indian cinnamon.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

if you go down quickly from a usually very high average blood glucose then some people do experience what is called false hypos , where one react to it like it was almost a hypo... maybe that is what you are experiencing , if so you just need to go through it so you´ll get used to it and you body will stop reacting to it...
if you in the same period have started new medication you should also keep an eye open that it could instead be sideeffects from the medication...
good luck with getting normal levels again..by low carbing

Last edited:

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

the problem with the less toxic cylon cinnamon is that it doesn´t lower blood glucose , it seems to be the toxic compound that do lower the blood glucose

nebraska_beauty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
anchovies
if you go down quickly from a usually very high average blood glucose then some people do experience what is called false hypos , where one react to it like is was almost a hypo... maybe that is what you are experiencing , if so you just need to go through it so you´ll get used to it and you body will stop reacting to it...
if you in the same period have started new medication you should also keep an eye open that it could instead be sideeffects from the medication...
good luck with getting normal levels again..by low carbing
Thanks. I am getting to understand it now from the advice I have been given on the forum. Apart from the dizziness and foggy head at times, I do feel better on the whole from low carbing