18.7 percent carbs CHOCOLATE!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was in Tesco and saw Chocologic brand dark chocolate with 18.7 percent carbs - no added sugar.
I tried it out at once and it isn't bad - 55 percent cocoa solids. The 80 gm bar is 15 gm of carb, but I was cautious and have eaten a small amount - there must be some reason for the small serving size printed on the package.
I remember eating a bar with sugar alcohols in it which was as good a laxative as Metformin, but with extra wind.
Has anyone tried this and were there any side effects from the polyols/sugar alcohols?
The high cocoa bars are rather sharp for my taste, and they are higher carbs than these bars so I am hoping that they don't cause disruptions.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not the bars but the Christmas before last I had a box of the little chocolates- a bit like the Neapolitans you can get - there was dark milk and white - found them sweet so only ate one at a time - they were quite nice - can't remember the carbs - I used to melt one white one into my creme fraiche and raspberries made a nice mousse type thing

K

Kat100

I was in Tesco and saw Chocologic brand dark chocolate with 18.7 percent carbs - no added sugar.
I tried it out at once and it isn't bad - 55 percent cocoa solids. The 80 gm bar is 15 gm of carb, but I was cautious and have eaten a small amount - there must be some reason for the small serving size printed on the package.
I remember eating a bar with sugar alcohols in it which was as good a laxative as Metformin, but with extra wind.
Has anyone tried this and were there any side effects from the polyols/sugar alcohols?
The high cocoa bars are rather sharp for my taste, and they are higher carbs than these bars so I am hoping that they don't cause disruptions.
I have no problems and have had bars before both the milk and dark chocolate if I need a bit of a larger chovolate fix
But I do the high % Lindt as well like 90%
I don't count carbs so can't help with that :)

M

ME_Valentijn

remember eating a bar with sugar alcohols in it which was as good a laxative as Metformin, but with extra wind.
Sounds like maltitol, a sugar-free sweetener. Even small amounts are unpleasant, and a normal serving of anything goes right to the laxative stage :p

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I have tried it. Milk, plain and nutty options. Last year sometime.

Perfectly pleasant choc. But I soon learned to eat it in small quantities with meals. More than 4 squares at a time (and they are small squares!) resulted in gastric uneasiness and a lot of weird gurgling. Never got as far as Disaster Pants, I am delighted to say.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Malitol - yes that rings a bell - I thought that I was going to become geography, my gut flora and fauna had such a party, because even if I couldn't digest it they certainly could.
No malitol in the chocolate - which is a good thing - note to self, do not sit at the computer with a half eaten chocolate bar on the desk - it will soon become an entirely eaten chocolate bar.
I can resist anything but temptation.

CathP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
We've tried and enjoyed Chocologic, with no nasty gastric or blood sugar side effects. It's nice to find milk chocolate that's low carb, as we'd previously been sticking to the 85% dark choc. I'll probably use the milk choc Chocologic to melt down and make an Easter egg for my daughter.