Caffeine and Type 1

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
After a long time of trying to get to the bottom of awful control, I've figured out with CGM that strong coffee raises my blood sugar with rapid and extremely high spikes. (If I've had two cups, it raises up to 18) It happens with or without milk. It's definitely the coffee.

I'm yet to properly experiment with other caffeinated foods but tests this week show I'm getting a rapid but much smaller spike to about 8 or 9 after drinking Diet Coke. With the Diet Coke, my blood sugar then readjusts and falls again. Coffee much more problematic.

This could just be me. I've only been this drinking coffee for two years which has also coincided with an underactive thyroid diagnosis so I'm wondering if the caffeine causes insulin resistance in me, perhaps it is causing thyroxine resistance? My bet is now I've cut out the coffee, my next result will be over-active. I'll update this post when I know.

Needless to say, I've gone cold-turkey on my lovely coffee but I'm intrigued about what other effects there are out there on my blood sugar that I've not figured out yet.

Is anyone else in the same boat? Are there strange things doctors haven't told you about you've figured out yourself? I've got a couple of others but this one has really surprised me.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Coffee is a weird one. I'm alright with instant stuff (I drink 6 or so cups a day when at work) but I spike pretty high with the real stuff from Starbucks, etc.

There's a lot of debate regarding "sugar free" drinks, apparently the artificial sweetners can raise BG. I can't comment as I simply don't know, nor do diet drinks affect my BG, but it certainly does with many users of the forum. I'm sure they'll provide some insight soon:)

Reactions: London36_

Peppergirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting. I drink loads of coffee and never had any issues with my glucose levels as a result.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That really is unfortunate if it is having this effect......but it is perfectly possible caffeine works differently for you.....it may trigger other hormonal responses that increase resistance....or maybe the liver responds in some way...

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@London36_ - I've wondered this at times too. I don't drink anything with artificial sweetener so can't comment on that but I do like my 1 (sometimes 2) strong coffees a day! I'm gonna monitor my sugars more as mine could be morning rise like @Kristin251 says Hope you find some answers.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm guessing it's coffee contains caffeine, caffeine causes adrenalin release, adrenalin cause liver to release sugar.

I suppose you could always experiment with Irish coffee - fire a wee shot of Bushmills into your latte, see if the alcohol damps down the adrenalin response!

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
High jacking...

I have suspected coffee at times but have quit and still got the rise. For me, it's the morning rise that I thought was the coffee rise. Coffee does nothing to my bs later in the day.

This sounds totally crazy but coffee didn't used to do this to me until I switched to a particular brand. This and shop bought coffees definitely rise my sugar. I'm fine with instant coffee so I think it must be something particular to my hormonal response.

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm guessing it's coffee contains caffeine, caffeine causes adrenalin release, adrenalin cause liver to release sugar.

I suppose you could always experiment with Irish coffee - fire a wee shot of Bushmills into your latte, see if the alcohol damps down the adrenalin response!

This is the best idea! I love Irish coffee too.

Reactions: azure and Medusa41

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That really is unfortunate if it is having this effect......but it is perfectly possible caffeine works differently for you.....it may trigger other hormonal responses that increase resistance....or maybe the liver responds in some way...

Yes, I think this must be it. I do think I respond differently to the standard advice out there on some things and that other hormonal responses are responsible. I'm just relieved i can tick something off the list on my way to better results

London36_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Coffee is a weird one. I'm alright with instant stuff (I drink 6 or so cups a day when at work) but I spike pretty high with the real stuff from Starbucks, etc.

There's a lot of debate regarding "sugar free" drinks, apparently the artificial sweetners can raise BG. I can't comment as I simply don't know, nor do diet drinks affect my BG, but it certainly does with many users of the forum. I'm sure they'll provide some insight soon:)

Yes, it's just the really nice, strong coffee that does it- where you can really feel the caffeine buzz. I'm fine with instant too.

Reactions: Medusa41

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Speaking of buzzing on caffeine I just had a nice black tea and I'm zooming! BS higher than normal too. I'll be watering that down!!! Too potent for comfort. Although I was also much busier than usual. Could be that too

staffsmatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Out of interest what coffee is it that does it? I've often thought coffee was sending me high but it's not consistent so probably down to something else...

wildbill1791

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The adrenalin reasoning is my thinking as well because I found coffee pushed my levels up (albeit no to 18 - beer does that:)). However, the increases have reduced recently (coffee, not beer:() so it's not consistent. But I was experiencing this foot on the floor effect even when I didn't drink coffee so I increased my overnight long-acting.

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting. This morning my bloods were 6.1. I had my normal coffee from Nero (3 shots). I always give myself a shot of insulin. When I tested two hours later they were 7.6 completely normal for me but when I looked at my graph on Libre they'd spiked before coming down again. Makes me wonder if it is the coffee, really strange I never put the two together. I have a dietician appointment in a couple of weeks, it's definitely something I'm going to ask.

Attachments

• daily graph.jpg
    daily graph.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 407

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really interesting. This morning my bloods were 6.1. I had my normal coffee from Nero (3 shots). I always give myself a shot of insulin. When I tested two hours later they were 7.6 completely normal for me but when I looked at my graph on Libre they'd spiked before coming down again. Makes me wonder if it is the coffee, really strange I never put the two together. I have a dietician appointment in a couple of weeks, it's definitely something I'm going to ask.
Is your coffee just black coffee? Why do you give yourself a shot of insulin? To stop the morning rise?
Yesterday I had my usual coffee with bf and all was well. Then I had black tea called AWAKE and I was highly caffeinated. Then my bs was up far more than usual but I took my small ' stop the morning spike ' bolus, not my larger one but I was also a lot more active than usual so can't confirm anything other than I know I had an adrenaline rush to say the least. Today I will have the tea but half tea, half water and a lemon squeeze. I don't need THAT much energy!!!

linda_b

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is your coffee just black coffee? Why do you give yourself a shot of insulin? To stop the morning rise?
Yesterday I had my usual coffee with bf and all was well. Then I had black tea called AWAKE and I was highly caffeinated. Then my bs was up far more than usual but I took my small ' stop the morning spike ' bolus, not my larger one but I was also a lot more active than usual so can't confirm anything other than I know I had an adrenaline rush to say the least. Today I will have the tea but half tea, half water and a lemon squeeze. I don't need THAT much energy!!!

Hey,

No I have milk in my coffee then a shot of sugar free syrup on the carb count it's around 25g so I always give myself 3 units. If I don't they rocket. I've previously been really poorly controlled so I'm still getting my head round the carb counting thing but I've said to doctors I'll give up anything but coffee lol

Reactions: Ultramum

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey,

No I have milk in my coffee then a shot of sugar free syrup on the carb count it's around 25g so I always give myself 3 units. If I don't they rocket. I've previously been really poorly controlled so I'm still getting my head round the carb counting thing but I've said to doctors I'll give up anything but coffee lol
Same here!!! NOT giving up coffee!! Gotta drake the line somewhere!!! LOL