Hi does anyone feel that type 2 diabetes should be given another name?

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
"Tis nobler in the mind" in most cases...
"Tis @noblehead in the mind" - FTFY.

...and if anything was to be changed, then it should be the name of type 1 as it affects fewer people but I'm not convinced that it would be a good idea. Those who know about diabetes would have to remember to call it something different (JDRF still haven't caught up. HbA1cs still get quoted in percentages), and those that don't will still be misinformed.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Whether quote Hba1C in % or hi faluting units doesn't make a huge amount of difference to its relative value though ;)

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whether quote Hba1C in % or hi faluting units doesn't make a huge amount of difference to its relative value though ;)
It may not be entirely rational, but it does in my head - to a certain extent.

The way I see it, if we're aiming to stay under 6.5% and I get the result of 5.4%, then I squeaked in by 1.1% and that doesn't seem like much. But if we're going for 48 mmol/L and I get 36 mmol/L then that sounds way better to me and I get to feel extra smug about it. And given that some of how I deal with type 1 relates to what goes on in my head, I'll take the easy win. (See first sentence: "may not be entirely rational".)

I think I've drifted off topic now...

Reactions: Alison Campbell

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think there should be a name/ title change to differentiate the various types of diabetes. Not for my benefit or that of any other diabetics BUT for the vast majority of people who can't be ***** to understand my condition BUT are more than able to make a judgement based on something that sounds "similar but for a number".
Sadly I think it's to late to change now, so I'll always be someone who ate too much sugar, didn't get off my fat **** and is now a burden to society in those uneducated eyes.
When I get a chance to explain that my body decided to kill my pancreas as it were, people seem genuinely gob smacked.
It's just a lack of sufficient information and the word diabetes that covers to many variables.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there should be a name/ title change to differentiate the various types of diabetes. Not for my benefit or that of any other diabetics BUT for the vast majority of people who can't be ***** to understand my condition BUT are more than able to make a judgement based on something that sounds "similar but for a number".
Sadly I think it's to late to change now, so I'll always be someone who ate too much sugar, didn't get off my fat **** and is now a burden to society in those uneducated eyes.
When I get a chance to explain that my body decided to kill my pancreas as it were, people seem genuinely gob smacked.
It's just a lack of sufficient information and the word diabetes that covers to many variables.

But I'm seen as that and none of it applies to me and I'm T2 - sorry if I've misunderstood but is that your view of T2 as well? It may not be but that's how your statement reads to me

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm fat and T2. So I guess I'm the sort of person you don't want to be associated with? I'm fat because I am insulin resistant (T2). I'm trying to lose weight (and have been trying to do so for 35 years) But hey, I'm not judgemental and arrogant, so I'm well happy with how I am thanks. :)

Edit: It's quite ironic that you say the name should be changed for the vast majority of people who can't be ***** to understand your condition....when you yourself can't be ***** to understand mine.

Last edited:

desidiabulum

I think this is the point at which I always say 'what about MODY?' and people get bored and walk off. Actually MODY is great as a term because it is diabetes of the YOUNG - always gives me a boost to remember that. But when did you last see a diabetes form with a box to tick that says 'MODY'? At least T1 or T2 you get a box to tick...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
How about diabetes by default. DBD
Type2 is a melting pot.
Type2 is insulin resistant and/or malfunction of the glucose distribution process.
We could have a name for diet induced diabetes.
We could have a name for malfunction of the process.
We could have a name for a drug induced diabetes.
Some have all 3.
Some are self-inflicted, some aren't.
Does a sufferer deserve abandonment from the nhs depending on its cause?
I think not. Health CARE is for everyone suffering. A motorcyclist choses to ride with extra risk of injury. Why label someone to risk their health even further?
Leprosy was shunned when antibiotics cure it. Ignorance killed many leprosy sufferers. Don't let the same happen to diabetic sufferers!
Who is the label important too?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@zand and @lovinglife . Please understand that as a diabetic like your good selves I fully understand what being T1 T2 and all the other lesser known types of diabetes are. My point is the general population don't, this is due to reports via the media, television portrayal and the likes who just generalise. Wouldn't you prefer that people understood more about your condition instead of the assumptions they jump to. I have no qualms with anyone and there type of diabetes but I do get annoyed when people judge using misguided information. That information isn't given by us as diabetics. Like it or not I have an autoimmune disease and sadly ( not yours or any other diabetics fault ) I am assumed all to often to have a lifestyle condition.
It's like saying we are all human. Not a truer word could be spoken. But none of us are the same.
Likewise as a community we are all diabetic but in my opinion we are very different in how it affects us and the measures we have to take to survive. I just wish other people could appreciate that.
I'm fully aware that eating too much and not having exercise are not what it takes to become diabetic.
Sorry if you misunderstood what I posted but for all of us diabetics I think there should be more clarification of are individual conditions.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@zand and @lovinglife . Please understand that as a diabetic like your good selves I fully understand what being T1 T2 and all the other lesser known types of diabetes are. My point is the general population don't, this is due to reports via the media, television portrayal and the likes who just generalise. Wouldn't you prefer that people understood more about your condition instead of the assumptions they jump to. I have no qualms with anyone and there type of diabetes but I do get annoyed when people judge using misguided information. That information isn't given by us as diabetics. Like it or not I have an autoimmune disease and sadly ( not yours or any other diabetics fault ) I am assumed all to often to have a lifestyle condition.
It's like saying we are all human. Not a truer word could be spoken. But none of us are the same.
Likewise as a community we are all diabetic but in my opinion we are very different in how it affects us and the measures we have to take to survive. I just wish other people could appreciate that.
I'm fully aware that eating too much and not having exercise are not what it takes to become diabetic.
Sorry if you misunderstood what I posted but for all of us diabetics I think there should be more clarification of are individual conditions.

No point in you preaching to "the already converted"...........get out there and tell the "non converted"..............or at least put them right at every opportunity like @zand, myself and many others do.......that would be more of a help than just changing the name.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand . I can be ***** to understand your condition. I know only to well how it is to be fighting every day.
Thank you. :)

I think the general public are quite happy to be misled by the media. Most probably they feel they are 'all right jack' and will never get diabetes because they are too old to develop T1 (wrong) and their lifestyle is 'healthy' so are quite happy to moan about lazy fatties costing the NHS too much because diabetes will never happen to them....until shock horror, it does.

Reactions: Alison Campbell