Hi does anyone feel that type 2 diabetes should be given another name?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There have been various suggestions instead of Type 1 and Type 2 but all quite unwieldy names relating to whether auto immunity is involved or not.

As people often misunderstand diabetes anyway, I'd worry name changes would just confuse people.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Jeanalex It would help if you explained what you meant and what name ideas you were talking about.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, this has been discussed before and got nowhere. Why do you think it needs to change?

D

Deleted member 308541

I asked does anyone feel type 2 diabetes should be given a different name?
No to a name change for T2, I would have to change my username and avatar. :meh:

"Carbiforous Intolerance", if you want to be politically correct in front of your friends and family who have got the wrong idea about T2 diabetes. :D

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
That is a valid message

I asked does anyone feel type 2 diabetes should be given a different name?
Hi. No I don't think we should cause more confusion, but perhaps we could add a sub heading or strap line as they say in marketing, to add clarity. For instance Diabetes Type 1: Insulin deficient; Diabetes Type 2: Carbohydrate intolerant etc. Of course, we could argue for ever about the sub headings.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No to a name change for T2, I would have to change my username and avatar. :meh:

"Carbiforous Intolerance", if you want to be politically correct in front of your friends and family who have got the wrong idea about T2 diabetes. :D

Love a bit of Latin... Maybe just change T1 to "bolvs for what evveah".! ;)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's not a change of name we need it's a change of attitudes - the perpetual thrust of the media putting it solely down to "being a lardy, lazy lump" being the only reason for T2 needs changing

Reactions: Freema

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally, I have often said, it could be called Doris for all the difference it'd make to me or anyone else.

Until such time as TV/film stop treating hypos with insulin or considering T2 to be a purely name calling open season, I don't believe the name makes any difference.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Indeed. Where are my manners. Welcome! @Jeanalex .
There is shed loads on here to learn....!

Reactions: Freema

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Better education of both the public, and of the Medical/Nursing teams who deal with / advise diabetics, would probably help significantly.
I don't think changing the name would make any difference but would probably just confuse everyone even more
:)