diabetic diarrhoea

Katrina5664

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Does anyone have any ideas on how to manage diabetic diarrhoea. Doctor today has told me this is what she believes is causing my problems with bowel control. I am on 1 tablet of Immodium type tablet 4x a day which sort of works but not reliably. I have 2 rough collie dogs and am down to two short walks only a day as I am scared to walk too far in case I have an episode. I realise that this is not curable but need better control. Doctor said go away and manage it in effect.
Thanks for reading
Katrina
P.S
I am sure there are people out there who have it worse than me.

Katrina5664

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd bet my life on it.... Diabetic diahorrea? The doctors having a laugh surely.
Hi apparently not it is a true medical complication which I believe is on a par with the neuropathy problems with hands and feet. I would very much like it to be something different as someone may be able to do something about it.
Katrina

Reactions: Freema and Jamesuk9

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi apparently not it is a true medical complication which I believe is on a par with the neuropathy problems with hands and feet. I would very much like it to be something different as someone may be able to do something about it.
Katrina
Ok in that case I'm afraid I haven't heard of it.. I'm sure someone will be along who has though.. sounds very unpleasant. I hope you find something to help.

Reactions: Freema

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Katrina
Could it possibly be diet related? An intolerance to dairy or gluten? I think that's where I would start as I know diet changes made a massive difference to my bowel symptoms.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Katrina5664 Agree with others never heard of diabetic diahorrea ?

Katrina5664

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you everyone I tried the intolerance route and nothing made any difference. I was diagnosed last year (at the age of 60) after an emergency operation for an infected insect bite and they put it down to the amount of antibiotics I had to have. But according to the experts this should now not affect this area. I have had a colonoscopy and there are no problems there.
Katrina

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I would side with @Jamesuk9 's suggestion.. A process of elimination cutting out the "usual suspects" in the diet & see if the issue improves...?

Best wishes!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I took Metformin for a few weeks last year, I had dreadful diarrhea then, and now I seem to have consequences from all sorts of things I didn't react to before - no added sugar fruit flavour drinks from Lidl are the latest things added to the list.
I try to keep the advice 'meden agan' - nothing in excess - in mind, but it is difficult.
It is definitely something associated with diabetes - but it is not a symptom, but a consequence of the treatment.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Since I took Metformin for a few weeks last year, I had dreadful diarrhea then, and now I seem to have consequences from all sorts of things I didn't react to before - no added sugar fruit flavour drinks from Lidl are the latest things added to the list.
I try to keep the advice 'meden agan' - nothing in excess - in mind, but it is difficult.
It is definitely something associated with diabetes - but it is not a symptom, but a consequence of the treatment.

The poster doesn't take Metformin, and says she has Autonomic Neuropathy http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-complications/autonomic-neuropathy.html

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried a good probiotic? I'd go for the supplement type, rather than in yoghurts etc (but that's because I have an aversion to artificial additives and added sugar / sweeteners). Maybe the high dose antibiotics also knocked out your 'good bacteria' in your gut. I used to have a miserable life with what was called IBS - and it magically disappeared when I cut out wheat. But I feel for you, it's life limiting and potentially embarrassing. I hope you find a solution soon and I am sad to hear that your doctor is so unhelpful.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was recently diagnosed coeliac and have gone completely gluten free. Not just wheat but all grains. My severe chronic diarrhea of many years has gone and my arthritis has improved a lot. Both wheat and dairy are very common causes of chronic diarrhea. It can take months of not eating them to calm things down.

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My consultant mentioned this at my last appointment and I'd be interested to know if anyone has any tips or treatment advice too. I've always had a 'sensitive' stomach but it has definitely worsened lately and it seems likely that this is the cause (yes, I've been tested for coeliac etc).

I'm afraid i can't offer any help @Katrina5664, but I just want to say to everyone that it really does exist and to give you a virtual hug as I understand how difficult it must be dealing with it everyday x

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When you say your stomach has always been 'sensitive', what exactly do you mean ? Do you also have a problem with wind, flatulence ? I had similar symptoms to yours about three years ago and it turned out I had the heliobacter pylori bacteria, so the treatment to get rid of that is a fortnight (?) on two different antobiotics together, accompanied by tablets to reduce acid production in the stomach so as to allow healing of any ulcer. Has anyone considered that as a possibility ?