Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
went on em for a few days and experienced severe depression, though i get it 1 or 2 days a month in general, i think the process was accellerated whilst on statins in the way that it speeds up the blood through the body and possibly sped up the hormone(?) to produce whatever chemical in the brain that would cause depression to happen or maybe it interfered with my insulin. I heard that it was some sort of blood thinner so it could also cause tension headaches but i dunno, i think i was put on them because i had alot of fatty foods before the blood test

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Kept trying new ones, started on simvastatin, then atvorstatin, then rosuvastatin

I was assured by my GP years ago (1999) that a different statin would not give me the muscle pain that I was experiencing at that time. Just one problem, apart from him talking absolute rubbish, Merck Pharmaceutical were aware of the muscle pain side effect and that it was caused by the prevention of the uptake of CoQ10, and that was in 1990.

I am genuinely pleased that there are those who are not aware of the side effects, they are lucky individuals. What I'm not happy about is being told that my muscle pain was caused by something else and that a different statin would make all the difference.

I wouldn't dream of encouraging anybody to stop taking them, but where friends have taken them and experienced similar problems, one in particular quite serious, I will advise them to do some research and also make sure they mention it to their doctor. Thankfully these days, GPs are more likely to be aware of the side effects and what causes them.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I'd forgotten these poll figures - would have been useful yesterday at a North West London Diabetes Services meeting.

The three accepted indicators ("risk factors") of Diabetes health/progress are:
HbA1c less than 7.5 %, 58 mmol/mol
BP less than 140/80
Cholesterol less than 4.0​

I have read several medical references concerning cholesterol, & abstracted from the summaries:

“The reductions in mean serum cholesterol levels were significantly higher in the intervention groups; this did not result in significant differences in CHD or all-cause mortality. Government dietary fat recommendations were untested in any trial prior to being introduced.” http://openheart.bmj.com/content/2/1/e000196.full

The .... way heart disease risk is assessed is inaccurate, based on outdated assumptions about the role of cholesterol that recent research has found to be invalid. In fact, cholesterol levels are not a good indicator of heart disease risk. In a 2009 study, half the people admitted to hospital with a heart attack (and 75 per cent of those with no prior heart problems) had cholesterol levels within the normal ranges (Am Heart J. 2009; 157(1):111- 117).

http://images.agora-health.co.uk/PDF_reports/Agora-Health-Statin-Report-2015.pdf

I would prefer to have good general health than worry about a dubious "risk factor."

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I was assured by my GP years ago (1999) that a different statin would not give me the muscle pain that I was experiencing at that time. Just one problem, apart from him talking absolute rubbish, Merck Pharmaceutical were aware of the muscle pain side effect and that it was caused by the prevention of the uptake of CoQ10, and that was in 1990.

I am genuinely pleased that there are those who are not aware of the side effects, they are lucky individuals. What I'm not happy about is being told that my muscle pain was caused by something else and that a different statin would make all the difference.

I wouldn't dream of encouraging anybody to stop taking them, but where friends have taken them and experienced similar problems, one in particular quite serious, I will advise them to do some research and also make sure they mention it to their doctor. Thankfully these days, GPs are more likely to be aware of the side effects and what causes them.

Hi David I to had excruciating pain in my calf muscles feet toes it wasn't just the cramping pain unlike cramps I could not get it to stop,worse pain I've had , never had an explanation from my doctors but I've told them I will not go back onto any meds for diabetes again,hence the no carb diet.
He has given me three months to get it sorted, I'm so on track and confident I've already got there I'm having my fasting bloods done on 21/3/17 been on the diet from 15/1/17. Lost a stone and lots of body fat so will see what he says next Friday when I see him. K

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had news on how @Spiker is .. not seen him around for ages (sorry its off topic)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Hi David I to had excruciating pain in my calf muscles feet toes it wasn't just the cramping pain unlike cramps I could not get it to stop,worse pain I've had , never had an explanation from my doctors but I've told them I will not go back onto any meds for diabetes again,hence the no carb diet.
He has given me three months to get it sorted, I'm so on track and confident I've already got there I'm having my fasting bloods done on 21/3/17 been on the diet from 15/1/17. Lost a stone and lots of body fat so will see what he says next Friday when I see him. K

Although diabetics are routinely prescribed statins I would suggest that they are really for lowering cholesterol, not for lowering BG. In fact there seems to be a connection between statins and the onset of diabetes. Something from the Mayo Clinic - It's possible your blood sugar (blood glucose) level may increase when you take a statin, which may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes.

Now you can tell your doctor why statins cause muscle pain, it's the lack of CoQ10 and Merck Pharmaceutical had worked that out in 1990 (http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/statin-CoQ10.pdf).

Lowering carbs seems to work for people and well done on the weight loss, hopefully your BG and Total Cholesterol will both be lower than last time.

Personally, although lower carbs has worked well for 3 or so years, my body seems to be doing a very good job of converting protein into glucose so I'm now having to add Januvia to my list of meds, not happy, but can't stop my body from doing what it's doing. I haven't given up and still looking for a drug free solution.

Hope the next GP visit goes well

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Although diabetics are routinely prescribed statins I would suggest that they are really for lowering cholesterol, not for lowering BG. In fact there seems to be a connection between statins and the onset of diabetes. Something from the Mayo Clinic - It's possible your blood sugar (blood glucose) level may increase when you take a statin, which may lead to developing type 2 diabetes. The risk is small but important enough that the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a warning on statin labels regarding blood glucose levels and diabetes.

Now you can tell your doctor why statins cause muscle pain, it's the lack of CoQ10 and Merck Pharmaceutical had worked that out in 1990 (http://www.functionalmedicineuniversity.com/statin-CoQ10.pdf).

Lowering carbs seems to work for people and well done on the weight loss, hopefully your BG and Total Cholesterol will both be lower than last time.

Personally, although lower carbs has worked well for 3 or so years, my body seems to be doing a very good job of converting protein into glucose so I'm now having to add Januvia to my list of meds, not happy, but can't stop my body from doing what it's doing. I haven't given up and still looking for a drug free solution.

Good luck with the meds. I was told about protein converting to Glucose on here,and reducing the portion size and only having protein at my main meal seems to be working,hope this helps you. K

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
reducing the portion size and only having protein at my main meal seems to be working,hope this helps you.

I've been thinking about that and I'm also trying to have my main meal at lunch time and doing all/most of my eating in a 8 hr window (can't remember where I got that from, is it semi fasting?). Weight wise several of my friends have done well with 5:2 and I have read that it's helpful for diabetics. Although I'm disappointed that low carb is no longer enough, I'm suspicious that my GP's advice to eat more which I did by increasing things like cheese, cream, yoghurt seemed to coincide with my weight increasing by 11 kgs and my BG and HbA1c going up.

Reactions: IanD

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
@Grammy_grump

Myopathy is a permanent and progressive condition directly affecting all muscles in the body -
but noticed in the legs because their muscles are in demand the most. Leg cramps are more
likely to be caused by your host condition - Diabetes and the Neuropathy that goes with it.
I AM CERTAIN that Statins DID cause muscular and joint pain but in my back, neck and
elbows and ALWAYS at night in the prone position. It became painful to rest my elbow
joints in particular on the mattress AND to rest one bone of the body, e.g., ankle one against
the other and, similarly, with knee joints causing excruciating pain but stopped after a short
while. After stopping Statins the aches amd pains in neck, back, shoulders and elbows CEASED
as did bone to bone contact pain. The sudden onset of muscular cramp is not Myopathy in my
humble opinion.

For those suffering with intolerable leg cramps - do not turn to Quinine Sulphate (banned
over the counter in the US) long-term will cause kidney damage and possible death as
I found out after 8 years continuous use. A member of this Forum saved my life I
believe by suggesting Magnesium Citrate which, I believe, has prevented me from the
very worst cramps I used to experience (both legs from hips down and lasting up to 3
hours) with now just the occasional early morning cramp being experienced when moving
my legs when waking - and these have easily been controlled.

For those continuing to experience nocturnal leg cramps and pain in the order of 10 out of
10 - keep a phial of salt on the nightstand to dip one's wetted finger in and apply to the tongue
immediately - this, in most cases, will take the edge off the pain within a few minutes.
The greatest lifesaver though is - (and I read from the label) - 'Proven Old Amish Formula,
STOPS LEG & FOOT CRAMPS IN ABOUT ONE MINUTE' . This, a foul-tasting liquid,
is wonderful in effect. My most serious cramps have been stopped in their tracks WITHIN
3 MINUTES IN EVERY CASE. It is a 100% cure and available from iHerb.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've been thinking about that and I'm also trying to have my main meal at lunch time and doing all/most of my eating in a 8 hr window (can't remember where I got that from, is it semi fasting?). Weight wise several of my friends have done well with 5:2 and I have read that it's helpful for diabetics. Although I'm disappointed that low carb is no longer enough, I'm suspicious that my GP's advice to eat more which I did by increasing things like cheese, cream, yoghurt seemed to coincide with my weight increasing by 11 kgs and my BG and HbA1c going up.
Hi David I found that doing this eating window i.e.: intermittent fasting helped because you are naturally cutting down on carbs anyway so it should help with in my case fat loss and weight loss, though the fat was the the greater and has resulted in a drop of 2 dress sizes in 6/8 weeks and a weight loss of just over a stone since I started doing this in mid January.
But I don't do carbs they spike my BG too much, that is upto last two days after my meet up with Liam1955 off the forum in York,but that is a one off blip and thoughrouly enjoyed it. Back on the wagon again now, good luck and hope it helps you too! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I stopped taking it because of severe calf pain - felt like cramp
I totally agree, promised my doctor I would give this diet a further six months and repeat my fasting bloods again to see if cholesterol has gone down any. I don't take any meds just diet and I'm well under control with BG and everything else just slight raise in cholesterol its 6.7 I've been diabetic type 2 for 17 years, never been so controlled until this diabetes.co.uk site with help and advice from some lovely people on here. I read whilst on statins that drinking tonic water helped with the leg cramps due to the quinine in it,but I still came off them! K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I stopped taking it because of severe calf pain - felt like cramp
Same here the pain was like a vice gripping my calf muscles but no matter what I did it was agony and wouldn't go away,my legs where sore day after with the cramps. K

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Thanks for info DavidGraham Jones! K

Reactions: DavidGrahamJones