Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
It's all about choice.
Luckily we can choose for ourselves how we manage OUR diabetes.
However I appreciate knowledge and experience. @Kristin251 has helped me in the past to understand how diet can play it's part, more than I thought.
Yes I'm type2 on insulin so diet can make a huge difference on how much insulin I need to inject. No one in the nhs ever explained that to me. 2 pregnancies on insulin and I was blindly injecting to keep my bgs low. Irrespective of food.
Of course everyone has a preconceived idea of a healthy diet.
Whose right and whose wrong?
We are all right to follow the best diet for their condition.
If that's boring then compromise to get the best of both worlds?
Choose your health or pleasure? Everyone eats for different reasons. Some healthier than others!
Your choice!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's all about choice.
Luckily we can choose for ourselves how we manage OUR diabetes.
However I appreciate knowledge and experience. @Kristin251 has helped me in the past to understand how diet can play it's part, more than I thought.
Yes I'm type2 on insulin so diet can make a huge difference on how much insulin I need to inject. No one in the nhs ever explained that to me. 2 pregnancies on insulin and I was blindly injecting to keep my bgs low. Irrespective of food.
Of course everyone has a preconceived idea of a healthy diet.
Whose right and whose wrong?
We are all right to follow the best diet for their condition.
If that's boring then compromise to get the best of both worlds?
Choose your health or pleasure? Everyone eats for different reasons. Some healthier than others!
Your choice!!!
Awe. Thanks @ickihun !! That means a lot. I'm happy if it helps!

I think maybe being have been through every phase and anal about it I have figured loads of things out that never made sense. No being on insulin I can easily see what macros do what. Without starting insulin I never would have known how much dairy and saturated fats require so much more insulin and keep me higher much longer. Some foods like nuts and dairy don't raise me but my insulin is much less effective then and into the next meal and sometimes next day!!! Same with over eating protein. That lasts forever to get back to being sensitive.
I'm not saying I never eat these foods but they not only require extra insulin butnextra boluses. Which of course is extra finger sticks.

Some days it's worth it and some days not. I've become pretty disciplined so I just eat my food and be done with it.

I've had some on and off neuropathy and blurry eyes to name a few. Keeping my bs and insulin low and steady has improved these symptoms. So really, a piece of cake and then blurry eyes and tingling feet is not such a treat to ME

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Awe. Thanks @ickihun !! That means a lot. I'm happy if it helps!

I think maybe being have been through every phase and anal about it I have figured loads of things out that never made sense. No being on insulin I can easily see what macros do what. Without starting insulin I never would have known how much dairy and saturated fats require so much more insulin and keep me higher much longer. Some foods like nuts and dairy don't raise me but my insulin is much less effective then and into the next meal and sometimes next day!!! Same with over eating protein. That lasts forever to get back to being sensitive.
I'm not saying I never eat these foods but they not only require extra insulin butnextra boluses. Which of course is extra finger sticks.

Some days it's worth it and some days not. I've become pretty disciplined so I just eat my food and be done with it.

I've had some on and off neuropathy and blurry eyes to name a few. Keeping my bs and insulin low and steady has improved these symptoms. So really, a piece of cake and then blurry eyes and tingling feet is not such a treat to ME
I appreciate you sharing your journey as it does help understand the whole picture and provide hope to sufferers who are looking for a change to improve their health. Your encouragement has given me far more understanding. Thankyou. :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks again. I find gycogen stores to be huge. Of course carbs and protein fill them. Keeping the, low keeps Insulin low.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been put on tramadol for heavy pain and I've noticed I've lost my appetite for supper.
I think its because I'm sleeping a lot because of the pain killer, walking/moving more and metformin has decided to kick in. Hence not hungry any more. On too much protein I was getting a build up of higher bgs as the day wore on. Oh and hunger to fill my tummy. So I gave in a few weeks ago and ate porridge. It satisfied me and stopped the excess protein hunger too.
I've had none today but at 10pm I was tempted to eat. I've resisted.
I'm waiting to be able to take a pain killer before sleep as I'm in a lot of pain due to missing a tablet earlier.
In fact I'm off to bed now.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't go hypo due to being active til late and bg is curently 5.5. I might reduce to 3s so I'll take glucose to bed with me, if I wake. I always wake with a hypo.
Sweet dreams and tomorrow is another day! :)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Post asap. A change in diet and insulin is always something to watch for hypos or hypers. Pain never helps
I'll be watching for your post.

Sleep well feel good

Reactions: donnellysdogs

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Post asap. A change in diet and insulin is always something to watch for hypos or hypers. Pain never helps
I'll be watching for your post.

Sleep well feel good
I've just seen your post. Sorry. No notification on it. :(
Well I woke in the 4s so had no worries.
Slept a lot today thou. I think I'm getting used to tramadol already. Needing it ever 4hrs instead of 6.
Hope you've had a good day! :)

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Slept a lot today thou. I think I'm getting used to tramadol already. Needing it ever 4hrs instead of 6.

Ickihun - be careful. Tramadol can be very addictive. Stay safe.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Ickihun - be careful. Tramadol can be very addictive. Stay safe.
Thanks @Deespee23 .
I'll go back to 6hrly. I want to reduce 2 to 1 but I'm having the monthly from hell at mo. It will give me good excuse to reduce after worse few days. Thanks for reminder.

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I love my lchf diet. It's not boring though limited. I like my feet, eyes, liver, kidneys etc. ITS JUST FOOD. And the gooeyer the better. I'd rather eat avocado with a spoon than bread!! Just my opinion.
I would rather walk barefoot over tin-tacks than eat avocado. I tried it once, and ruined a lovely salad for myself. Its has the taste of a lump of tallow! Ughhh! Mind you I used not to like peppers, but now I do! Just as a change from all the broccoli and cauli I was eating.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
No you are not but it is how you say things. Think if you had no prior knowledge of diabetes and you are new on this site and you see your post. Think about how that reads. 'I like my organs'. It implies the rest of us are irresponsible or doing something wrong when each person's disease is unique and their own. We can only share our experiences, but how we do so influences many people and we have to be aware of that. As I've said around the forum before we are a unique subset of diabetics and also have to be aware of that. Most don't engage with forums. They just live, either happily or not so happily. there are huge differences between all types of diabetes and while many times we fight the same battle as Debzz_ says we also need to acknowledge our differences too.

Hi, this is my 28th year and not easy at times, but still have all my bits and pieces and I hope to continue on that journey for many, many years to come. ps I also had my now teenager at the age of 42 1/2, so that is something I shout out with joy :)
I eat about 85 to 100 carbs a day and enjoy a varied diet and a healthy one too :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I would rather walk barefoot over tin-tacks than eat avocado. I tried it once, and ruined a lovely salad for myself. Its has the taste of a lump of tallow! Ughhh! Mind you I used not to like peppers, but now I do! Just as a change from all the broccoli and cauli I was eating.

I make my own fish cakes and sometimes use avocado in them and it doesn't have a strong taste.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi everyone,

So this might not be something a lot of people on here agree with, but do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave? We need to eat everything in moderation, just like everyone else! If you want a treat, do the insulin to match it! I exercise, eat healthily, and carb count as a life choice, not a diabetes 'need' but I'm not going to compromise my life or limit myself beyond a reasonable level because I'm diabetic. The idea of following a low carb diet day in-day out leaves me cold, I literally feel like I can do everything a non-diabetic can do, I just need to be more careful sometimes. There's no need for people to be understanding or make allowances - because I simply don't need it. Anyway I've had my rant, maybe no one agrees but I really don't think my life is limited in any way.

Those that matter, don't mind and those that mind, don't matter, but it can be so frustrating for some people.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Throw this at them :-
If I agreed with you, then we would both be wrong :)

Reactions: ickihun