Boring!

este

Hi everyone,

So this might not be something a lot of people on here agree with, but do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave? We need to eat everything in moderation, just like everyone else! If you want a treat, do the insulin to match it! I exercise, eat healthily, and carb count as a life choice, not a diabetes 'need' but I'm not going to compromise my life or limit myself beyond a reasonable level because I'm diabetic. The idea of following a low carb diet day in-day out leaves me cold, I literally feel like I can do everything a non-diabetic can do, I just need to be more careful sometimes. There's no need for people to be understanding or make allowances - because I simply don't need it. Anyway I've had my rant, maybe no one agrees but I really don't think my life is limited in any way.

M

mist

Hi everyone,

So this might not be something a lot of people on here agree with, but do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave? We need to eat everything in moderation, just like everyone else! If you want a treat, do the insulin to match it! I exercise, eat healthily, and carb count as a life choice, not a diabetes 'need' but I'm not going to compromise my life or limit myself beyond a reasonable level because I'm diabetic. The idea of following a low carb diet day in-day out leaves me cold, I literally feel like I can do everything a non-diabetic can do, I just need to be more careful sometimes. There's no need for people to be understanding or make allowances - because I simply don't need it. Anyway I've had my rant, maybe no one agrees but I really don't think my life is limited in any way.

I agree with you, I don't see it as a big deal either. Life goes on ;)

Reactions: donnellysdogs

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So this might not be something a lot of people on here agree with, but do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave?

NO not really, we have new type 1 members join the forum on a daily basis who may not know what we already know, by talking about diet and including additional info like bolus timings it helps them get a better understanding about how to manage the condition.

The forum has a wealth of information which is freely shared between members and I'm sure we have all learnt something new along the way, but the choice to go low, moderate or high-carb is an individual choice, so if a low-carb diet isn't for you @este then so-be-it.

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my opinion its not just eat with moderation. I do consider glycemic indexes as well, when my BG is perfect i dont go cheeting having small treats but im happy that my BG is great and that motivates me to keep up my current diet. I cut out all foods with bad glycemic index, i wont even start counting carbs for those. This might sound boring or too serious to u, but im already use to this diet and it doesnt stop me from doing whatever, more likely it allows me to live a better life. Diabetes should never stop u from doing things u like, there r some rules but u can a 100% live with them.

Reactions: Freema

CapnGrumpy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave?
I took that as 'people who aren't type 1s themselves, or who live with a type 1', and therefore talking about something they don't really understand. That does irritate me a little, regardless of the subject, if it's something I know about. I've become convinced that there is a BBC directive that states that all diabetes related articles/programmes must contain at least one factual error.

Other than that, talking amongst ourselves is spreading ideas and knowledge. I think there are enough sensible people on here there to suggest that lcfh isn't the only option and are sharing their experiences.

DaftThoughts

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So this might not be something a lot of people on here agree with, but do you ever get slighty irritated by people talking about how Type 1 Diabetics 'need' to eat/behave?
There is a fine line between a helpful suggestion, and a condescending attempt to control another person's actions. I don't mind when I ask for help and people offer thoughts on what works for them, but I loathe the unsolicited 'advice' where (particularly non-diabetic) individuals try to dictate what I can or can't eat.

I also think that when someone says "This isn't for me" you shouldn't push to convince them otherwise, as that's disrespectful and intrusive. Offering suggestions on how to manage someone's condition best should be encouraged, but only when they ask for help. All other attempts to push your beliefs and lifestyle choices onto others is as annoying and rude as people at a mall trying to get you to take their flyers and try their products when you say 'no thanks'.

Reactions: Freema

Shadow_83uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
NO not really, we have new type 1 members join the forum on a daily basis who may not know what we already know, by talking about diet and including additional info like bolus timings it helps them get a better understanding about how to manage the condition.

The forum has a wealth of information which is freely shared between members and I'm sure we have all learnt something new along the way, but the choice to go low, moderate or high-carb is an individual choice, so if a low-carb diet isn't for you @este then so-be-it.

I took it to mean in day to day life I get it all the time in work I decide to have a biscuit or piece of cake on someone birthday and get the constant comments of should you be eating that no matter how many times I've explained to work colleagues the difference between diet controlled type 2 vs daphne trained type 1
The forum's here are a very different I've shared many a post to aid new diabetics and feel it's a great resource one I didn't have when first diagnosed. But I do agree with the original post the general public can frustrate with their assumptions

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im sorry for saying this, but good diet is important for both T1 and T2. To me that sounds like its irritating to u to hear those people bcoz u know u shouldnt have the biscuits or cake. I know we cant always be strict on our diets and say no to every treats, but i think the people asking u if u can have it or not r just worried for u. If they werent they wouldnt care whatever u eat. It can get annoying to hear other people know better when they dont even have this disease, but think u can show them that u r under control maybe by not having that cake on the party but refuse it once ? Im sure they ll notice it. If not rub it in their face until they get it ! Coz refusing a yummy looking cake is indeed hard ! Dont let others annoy u with their advices, u can decide if they r trying to help or just being smart pants. The people trying to help u should be treated preciously, its not so great when ur all left alone with a disease. So dont push them away, let them know how well ur doing ! :)

Reactions: KezG

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I think you are overlooking the important factor that being diabetic can have a huge emotional impact and isn't just a fact of medical control or management.

Reactions: Type1Bri

sd29

I get seriously riled by being 'policed!'

There has been the recent phenomena of 'fake news' lately. I discovered this years ago just after diagnosis when I came out as a diabetic. I was caught testing my blood sugar and making a mess of my keyboard. That and having a hypo in the office resulting in a very confused me crying that I didn't know where I was and asking for a custard cream... Followed the next week by my insulin pump playing Fur Elise and lighting my bra up like a Christmas tree in a board meeting.

Everyone then knew and the misinformation and advice started. After one lecture about how I developed diabetes (I'm t1) I proposed my own theory to my gossipy colleague and informed her it was sexually transmitted and I'd caught it from my last boyfriend. She actually believed me.

On a serious note, the good intentions of others helped to revive my anorexia. I became anxious about eating in front of others, or having a hypo. I would hold off injecting or saying when I needed a break to eat as I felt so embarrassed or anxious about the comments being made.

I like to think of the analogy of driving. It's only after you've passed your test that you learn to drive and only after diagnosis we learn to be diabetic
There is no one size fits all approach and i find with all of the public health messages now linking diabetes with lifestyle, the advice and comments from those in the know are getting worse. Frighteningly, I've even had this from healthcare professionals!

Now I just smile sweetly when I'm told spirulina is a miracle cure and reiki will heal my pancreas as long as I avoid sugar and don't eat bananas or pizza and say 'Really? I'll look into that. thanks' before ignoring them completely!

Everything in moderation.

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
I love my lchf diet. It's not boring though limited. I like my feet, eyes, liver, kidneys etc. ITS JUST FOOD. And the gooeyer the better. I'd rather eat avocado with a spoon than bread!! Just my opinion.

I cannot. There are many MANY type one diabetics who have followed a different diet from you longer than you and their feet, eyes, lived and kidneys are just fine. You can have your opinions but perhaps think of how you put them across.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot. There are many MANY type one diabetics who have followed a different diet from you longer than you and their feet, eyes, lived and kidneys are just fine. You can have your opinions but perhaps think of how you put them across.
Didn't mean to insult or imply anyon needs to follow my diet. Just saying I love it and it works for me. I e followed my diet for 25+ years. Not implying anyone else should but MANY respond well.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm like @Kristin251..rather eat to keep myself healthy and pain free and well though for me.

Also I do feel like I get variety which .. when I speak to non diabetics friends etc they do not have so much varierty as I do....they stick to same old foods... I know I have to limit my foods and we do eat the same food for perhaps 3 days in a row but those 3 days are my choosing for economy...

Reactions: Ultramum and Salvia

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How did I put them across wrong? I answered the ops question. Does it matter how long we've done this to have an opinion or andiet that works for an insividual? Where did I imply if I e doesn't eat like me they'll suffer? Carbs do make me suffer. My experience, my opinion. Not sure I pushed it on anyone. I'm gluten intolerant. Sorry for not giving my history in regards to not wanting to eat bread. I also said 'just my opinion'. I think you are being a bit harsh.
My diet is NOT boring to ME. That was the question. Asked and answered

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
How did I put them across wrong? I answered the ops question. Does it matter how long we've done this to have an opinion or andiet that works for an insividual? Where did I imply if I e doesn't eat like me they'll suffer? Carbs do make me suffer. My experience, my opinion. Not sure I pushed it on anyone. I'm gluten intolerant. Sorry for not giving my history in regards to not wanting to eat bread. I also said 'just my opinion'. I think you are being a bit harsh.
My diet is NOT boring to ME. That was the question. Asked and answered
You brought up your organs. Saying you like them. No reason for that given the question asked. That is enough to imply that those who don't follow your diet are somehow putting ours in danger. You need to think about what you say and how and when you say it.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You brought up your organs. Saying you like them. No reason for that given the question asked. That is enough to imply that those who don't follow your diet are somehow putting ours in danger. You need to think about what you say and how and when you say it.
Nothing personal nor implying or inflictive on others. Just my opinions. I 'think ' I'm allowed. I've had problems with some organs when sugar was high. Just like keeping it low and organs are better. I am far from the only one who says that

You need to think about what you say too.

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Hey be nice people we are all fighting the same battle !

Reactions: Ultramum

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Nothing personal nor implying or inflictive on others. Just my opinions. I 'think ' I'm allowed. I've had problems with some organs when sugar was high. Just like keeping it low and organs are better. I am far from the only one who says that

You need to think about what you say too.

No you are not but it is how you say things. Think if you had no prior knowledge of diabetes and you are new on this site and you see your post. Think about how that reads. 'I like my organs'. It implies the rest of us are irresponsible or doing something wrong when each person's disease is unique and their own. We can only share our experiences, but how we do so influences many people and we have to be aware of that. As I've said around the forum before we are a unique subset of diabetics and also have to be aware of that. Most don't engage with forums. They just live, either happily or not so happily. there are huge differences between all types of diabetes and while many times we fight the same battle as Debzz_ says we also need to acknowledge our differences too.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a T2 on LCHF I am sick and tired of nice and well-meaning people shoving cakes and milk chocolate towards me saying One piece can't hurt you, go on, have some. Or questioning my food choices all the time. No, I can't eat pasta, bread or potatoes in any shape and form. It will make my BG go high.

They really don't understand the need to restrict carb intake severely as a T2 diabetic.

Reactions: Debzz_