Have you been told not to test your blood sugars?

D

Deleted member 371625

I was given a meter and strips when diagnosed last December. I was prescribed very low levels of insulin (6 IU twice a day) so meter and strips fit with NICE guidelines.
I was told by the DN at the hospital where I was diagnosed after an accident (HbA1c 72) that they are prescribing low levels of insulin in order to "get round the NICE guidelines" and ensure that people had meters. She did say that the levels of insulin I was prescribed were "almost certainly too low to cause a hypo" though advised what to watch out for.

I have found the meter extremely useful in reducing BG from 18 to an average of 4.5 (fasting 4.9), though am not convinced the insulin was enough to have any effect as BG continued falling when I stopped taking it.
My GP is not the most sympathetic of people and is completely uninterested in my BG levels, though has continued to prescribe strips as I haven't mentioned that I stopped the insulin a month ago. He has told me to come for a HbA1c test in April and that I will be going on Metformin then, "probably for life" even though he knows that my FBG has been below 5 for 4 weeks and my 2 hour post prandial levels are always below 6 and usually below 5.
I have no intention of taking any meds unless there is a good reason to. Exercise and low (but not very low) carbs seem to work, but I wouldn't have known this without my meter. I will continue testing whether I have to buy my own or not.

M

ME_Valentijn

I was repeatedly told by my GP not to test, or to test less. This was while very hyperglycemic, symptomatic, and producing moderate-to-large amounts of ketones in my urine. And again I was told to test less ("not every day") in the same appointment where she increased my dosage of Gliclazide, despite that it can cause hypos.

She was horrified a week after my diagnosis, when I told her about the ketones. Not because I had elevated levels almost constantly for the two days I'd been testing at that point, but because I'd bought urine ketone strips. She demanded to know if I got them from the local pharmacy, probably planning to have a word with them if so :wideyed:

She's one of those GPs who firmly believes that testing anything will turn patients into hysterical wrecks. Though her lack of understanding regarding the potential complications from prolonged hyperglycemia probably didn't help. She said it was fine if my blood sugar constantly stayed over 13 for several more weeks.

My general impression is that the people opposed to diabetes testing are 1) completely ignorant regarding diabetes, and too stupid to educate themselves, or 2) focused on short-term cost-cutting with no concern for patient welfare or long-term costs.

Reactions: Crystalwand

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My general impression is that the people opposed to diabetes testing are 1) completely ignorant regarding diabetes, and too stupid to educate themselves, or 2) focused on short-term cost-cutting with no concern for patient welfare or long-term costs.
3) Thinks that you get diabetes because is a God punishment for your gluttony or you're a lazy fat ass and you have to feel a lot of pain for this.

Or worse of all they're completely ignorant on a lot of branches of medicine and are continuing to use 30 year old techniques. What you should think about a GP that instead to make you an HBa1C test will make you to make a complete urine test, if suspect that one patient is pre diabetic?

Anyway If my GP stars to make rude question to me, I'll search another GP in a pinch.

steve_hill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Get an HGV licence then they have to give you one, that's fun test 2 hours before driving then every 2 hours while driving then you get fingers with more perforations than a teabag LOL!!!!!!

Bows

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are all being told to take care of our health and when do the medics are horrified. I use the term medic loosely as I have not seen my gp with anything connected with t2. I have been normal hba1c for over a year and lost over 4 stone with diet and lots of exercise. Not one positive thing has been said by my gp nurse or healthcare assistant. Moan over

earthkat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've also been told not to test. It's the Practice approach that newly diagnosed patients don't need to as Drs want to see what happens with them first

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've also been told not to test. It's the Practice approach that newly diagnosed patients don't need to as Drs want to see what happens with them first

Now that really is a new one! What difference would testing make as far as the doctor seeing what happens with them? Dearie me, what will they come up with next I wonder.

There is only one reason and that is because if they recommend testing they will have to prescribe the means with which to test, and they won't do this because it is too costly.

Ultimaf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs in Potatoes
interesting thread. i am type 1 diabetic (dafne graduate) and recently went to the doctors to request test strips, i spoke with the receptionist who asked why i wanted to see the doctor, i said that i was not being given enough test strips, her reply was that i was given more than enough and i should not be testing more than twice a day..
That is BS I had to go see the doc and the dispensary how are you meant to understand your BG if you can't test what a pile! Get in there and demand more! (Also Dafne qualified )

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I'm still waiting to see my Doc for the first time since my T2 diagnosis on Feb 7th. To date, I have had no information at all, seen no-one, and been told nothing .. there isn't even a leaflet anywhere to be seen in my surgery. I did have an appointment arranged with the Diabetic Nurse last Monday but that was cancelled because she was off sick. Instead, I had a second blood test taken by a nursing assistant who told me that I would not be prescribed a meter, strips or lancets because I "don't need to test because I'm on Metformin". I don't know whether this is the official position of my surgery but I now have an appointment with my Doc on Friday, then the Dietitian on 23rd - I'll let you know ..

This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
Yes when I picked up my prescription this week I was asked point blank. " Is it really necessary for you to test twice a day? Your'e only type 2 after all !!" I reacted straight away and said "I said yes it was just as necessary for me and others with Type 2 Diabetes to test so that we can regulate our food intake ! Inside I felt this was an attempt to get me to give up testing so the NHS could save money !! I did actually say as much too her and she said no but I'm a Doubting Thomas and I felt it was !.

desidiabulum

Yes when I picked up my prescription this week I was asked point blank. " Is it really necessary for you to test twice a day? Your'e only type 2 after all !!" I reacted straight away and said "I said yes it was just as necessary for me and others with Type 2 Diabetes to test so that we can regulate our food intake ! Inside I felt this was an attempt to get me to give up testing so the NHS could save money !! I did actually say as much too her and she said no but I'm a Doubting Thomas and I felt it was !.
They will never say that it's because of the money but it is of course. The point is that, once you get your BGs stable and you know what spikes you, then you won't need to test twice a day. But until then testing is vital for effective diabetes self-management, and that is what the NHS supposedly wants to promote.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
This is not about whether the NHS should, or can afford to, provide test strips on a permanent or temporary basis to non-T1 diabetics. Having read #EveryCloud ’s post, and so many more like it over the years on this forum, I wonder whether we could gather together examples of Healthcare Professionals who have told people that it is either unnecessary or just plain wrong to test their blood sugars. It is a scandal that needs highlighting.
My husband has been diagnosed in last 12 months I was with him on his last review the practice diabetec nurse said he didn't need a meter,but gave him two of the ones they where not using now has they now have all on Tee2 meters.

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
nurse said he didn't need a meter,but gave him two of the ones they where not using now has they now have all on Tee2 meters.
Maybe was saying that use a meter isn't mandatory. Like say, make a flu shot.

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on meds for years; told it wasn't 'essential' to test so much so I didn't..... Next thing, I developed Retinopathy in my eyes and had Laser and Injections.... It's vital (regardless of type) in my view to ensure people see the storm coming as the disease (in type 2) progresses - It took a complication to wake my Dr's up to what I needed (even after seeing high HBA1C results) - Now who's to blame? - Me for not shouting up, or the Dr's for not reacting? It's only post-complications I've started to read up on the world of Poop diabetes can put you into if not managed correctly.... So for me; Test Test Test is essential....

Prevention is better than the cure.

Reactions: Maxy and Ultramum

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I WAS ACTIVELY discouraged by my GP from testing my blood glucose, AND from trying to fix my type 2 diabetes , e.g. with the diet from Prof Taylor of Newcastle on Tyne . I DID IT ANYWAY. Fixed myself . It would NOT have been possible without my regular blood testing, which gave me valuable reassurance that I was on the right path. I had to do it all myself ; researching the calorie requirements, learning about sugar and fat metabolism and the low carb ideas, and even spending time worrying WHICH meter to buy. All this done in a panic that I had been diagnosed without warning.
When I was '' prediabetic '' I got vague info and conflicting advice and was left thinking my chance of developing full diabetes was minimal. Disgusting really. I got reassurance instead of dire warnings.
A life threatening or at least life changing disease and they hardly cared what I did.
The whole system is a shambles and a shocking disgrace - they are teaching the type 2 and pre diabetics ' Planned Helplessness' trying to turn everyone into an acquiescent submissive ' patient on the slippery slope of irreversible illness ' Scandalous lack of care.

Reactions: MikeTurin

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
I was on meds for years; told it wasn't 'essential' to test so much so I didn't..... Next thing, I developed Retinopathy in my eyes and had Laser and Injections.... It's vital (regardless of type) in my view to ensure people see the storm coming as the disease (in type 2) progresses - It took a complication to wake my Dr's up to what I needed (even after seeing high HBA1C results) - Now who's to blame? - Me for not shouting up, or the Dr's for not reacting? It's only post-complications I've started to read up on the world of Poop diabetes can put you into if not managed correctly.... So for me; Test Test Test is essential....

Prevention is better than the cure.

HI there not so lucky see my reply to desidiabulum in this thread agreeing the shocking nature of the system today

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
I was told to stop testing as I'll worry myself silly eh no not testing will worry me more and I said that to both my gp and nurse.
I want control of my numbers so I don't get complications later on, and got your A1c is the best one to go by. Like hell it is it is a guide only and helps if I have my monitors numbers to.

I now know why I get sleepy and itchy
I now know what to avoid food wise
All through self testing funded by me and not the NHS as my area refuses to give out meters and strips for T2s on no meds.

I'm seriously thinking of writing to my health provider of the benefits as it's cheaper to monitor and keep control now than be in the dark and have serious complications that cost them more in the long run.

R.J.Burgess

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm pensioner living alone diagnosed Type 2 and expected to manage my diabetes through diet and exercise without a diet or an exercise program a blood test every couple of months and an annual eye check. I know I'm not the only one put on statins without warning of dementia. like side effects. Sometimes I get confused, sometimes my memory gives me problems and when I can, I consider maybe its my sugar balance, which of course I'm not trained or expected to measure. Prescribed Atorvastatin which whilst I still have a mind, I don't want to take, along with Metformin, which I read also increases the chances of dementia. Cant speak highly enough with regards NHS treatment for diabetics

Last edited:

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
My hospital is the Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital. I've never once been told to not test my blood.
I have an NHS prescription card (free drugs) and use the EMIS Access website to order my meds, test strips, etc. Which I then pop to my local Lloyds pharmacy to collect in about 48 hours.
The only bad advice I've received is around nutrition.

However, my cholesterol went up by a few 0.something%s and they started talking about putting me on Statins (I'm 45). I've said no. NO!
Studies have proven that Statins do NOT prevent heart attacks or heart disease. But the side effects are SHOCKING.
Statins can help those who have already had a heart attack, not for preventing them. Excess carbs is the cause.

hooha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
long queues.
My hospital is the Basingstoke and North Hampshire Hospital. I've never once been told to not test my blood.
I have an NHS prescription card (free drugs) and use the EMIS Access website to order my meds, test strips, etc. Which I then pop to my local Lloyds pharmacy to collect in about 48 hours.
The only bad advice I've received is around nutrition.

However, my cholesterol went up by a few 0.something%s and they started talking about putting me on Statins (I'm 45). I've said no. NO!
Studies have proven that Statins do NOT prevent heart attacks or heart disease. But the side effects are SHOCKING.
Statins can help those who have already had a heart attack, not for preventing them. Excess carbs is the cause.
Read - sorry google -- you tube prof ken sikaris on blood cholesterol, or ivor cummins and see the cholesterol may or IS, all coming from the insulin resistance etc