Liraglutide and other medications

lisa16320

Hi, I am a type 2 diabetic and currenty on glucophage, liraglutide and empagliflozin. I was taking the liraglutide at night, and was getting up twice during the night to go to the loo. I have noticed on other forums on here that you can take the liraglutide whenever you like. When I had a medical review for my job I was advised to take the liraglutide in the morning as my job is safety critical and getting up to go to the loo in the night is a no no , possibly causing fatigue. Last night I did not take the liraglutide and still had to get up twice to go to the loo. I took it this morning instead. I am now confused. Also I would like to ask, i am on the 3 diabetic meds, a statin and a blood pressure med, of the diabetic meds can you take 4 at once ie add in gliclazide which i was on before. I have never had a hypo.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I am a type 2 diabetic and currenty on glucophage, liraglutide and empagliflozin. I was taking the liraglutide at night, and was getting up twice during the night to go to the loo. I have noticed on other forums on here that you can take the liraglutide whenever you like. When I had a medical review for my job I was advised to take the liraglutide in the morning as my job is safety critical and getting up to go to the loo in the night is a no no , possibly causing fatigue. Last night I did not take the liraglutide and still had to get up twice to go to the loo. I took it this morning instead. I am now confused. Also I would like to ask, i am on the 3 diabetic meds, a statin and a blood pressure med, of the diabetic meds can you take 4 at once ie add in gliclazide which i was on before. I have never had a hypo.
Does liraglutide cause frequent urination @lisa16320? You may find something of relevance if you search for Victoza (the branded name of your medication in question) in the top right hand box on the page.

For your information, hyperglycaemia - or elevated BG levels - can cause the need for frequent visits to the toilet.

I hope you find your answer soon:)

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @lisa16320 when do you take the Empagliflozin?

Struma

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Other
The empagliflozin is far more likely to be the culprit than liraglutide, urinary wise.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
HI morning, first thing.

Hi @lisa16320 - I take Dapagliflozin - which belongs to the same group of drug as your Empagliflozin. But, I take my Dapagliflozin at 6pm, because I take in the morning 40mg Furosemide and pee all day and then pee all night.
So I was going to say what @Struma has already posted.