1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Liraglutide and other medications

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by lisa16320, Mar 18, 2017.

1. lisa16320

lisa16320 · Newbie

Hi, I am a type 2 diabetic and currenty on glucophage, liraglutide and empagliflozin. I was taking the liraglutide at night, and was getting up twice during the night to go to the loo. I have noticed on other forums on here that you can take the liraglutide whenever you like. When I had a medical review for my job I was advised to take the liraglutide in the morning as my job is safety critical and getting up to go to the loo in the night is a no no , possibly causing fatigue. Last night I did not take the liraglutide and still had to get up twice to go to the loo. I took it this morning instead. I am now confused. Also I would like to ask, i am on the 3 diabetic meds, a statin and a blood pressure med, of the diabetic meds can you take 4 at once ie add in gliclazide which i was on before. I have never had a hypo.

2. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does liraglutide cause frequent urination @lisa16320? You may find something of relevance if you search for Victoza (the branded name of your medication in question) in the top right hand box on the page.

For your information, hyperglycaemia - or elevated BG levels - can cause the need for frequent visits to the toilet.

I hope you find your answer soon:)

3. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hello @lisa16320 when do you take the Empagliflozin?

4. lisa16320

lisa16320 · Newbie

HI morning, first thing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Struma

Struma Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The empagliflozin is far more likely to be the culprit than liraglutide, urinary wise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Liam1955

Liam1955 Type 2 · Master

Hi @lisa16320 - I take Dapagliflozin - which belongs to the same group of drug as your Empagliflozin. But, I take my Dapagliflozin at 6pm, because I take in the morning 40mg Furosemide and pee all day and then pee all night.
    So I was going to say what @Struma has already posted.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook