How long does your Dexcom G5 sensor last?

Just_Me_Rachel

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fish
Hi again. I understand the sensor is made to last a week but tends to last longer? Anyone with the Dexcom G5, can you tell me pls how long the sensor lasts?

Thanks!

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can get 3 weeks most times, occasionally one will die in the second week and had a few reach 4 weeks.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@ djdiabetic G5 every three months, I believe the G4 is 6 months but it can keep going until it dies. The G5 turns off after 3.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tim2000 oo thanks Tim, but is xDrip+ android only?

@Engineer88 I cover the whole thing with a tegaderm patch from day one, keep water off it and it will be as strong as day one.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@tim2000 oo thanks Tim, but is xDrip+ android only?

@Engineer88 I cover the whole thing with a tegaderm patch from day one, keep water off it and it will be as strong as day one.

I cant currently as I need to keep the transmitter free of gunk to continue my funding. I did that when I was self funding though.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Engineer88 It is gunk free. Come on Engineer is in your name! I have a tegaderm patch with a little square of clingfilm. This allows the transmitter to not stick to the patch which keeps it gunk free and stops the tegaderm pulling the transmitter when you twist. This was a finding the first time I tried a tegaderm patch without the patch and noticed the pulling on the transmitter.

I will post a photo when I get home.

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty much only 2 weeks for me; I Opsite the edges down after 1 week but after the second week expires I find it starts getting a bit manky and annoying (and will often be less accurate, too) so I usually replace at end of 2nd week.

My transmitter lasted 3 December through 20 March so just over 3 months.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Pretty much only 2 weeks for me; I Opsite the edges down after 1 week but after the second week expires I find it starts getting a bit manky and annoying (and will often be less accurate, too) so I usually replace at end of 2nd week.

See above @pinewood, pretty much breach 2+ with every sensor

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@pinewood I rarely get ??? But when its nearing the end the dots get less clean, so if i am dosing I will look at the last few dots or wait another few dots to see where the trend is. Remember the trend is usually correct, the numbers not so. I am changing mine after 2.5 weeks as it has got less clean and I am going away for a week so for an easier time early change.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Engineer88 It is gunk free. Come on Engineer is in your name! I have a tegaderm patch with a little square of clingfilm. This allows the transmitter to not stick to the patch which keeps it gunk free and stops the tegaderm pulling the transmitter when you twist. This was a finding the first time I tried a tegaderm patch without the patch and noticed the pulling on the transmitter.

I will post a photo when I get home.
Thanks @ElkBond that makes complete sense (shamed!) I hadn't considered that, I generally engineer cars or engines in my defense (its not a good one I know...)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I typically get 16-18 days before the data starts to get shaky. My approach is to use opsite flexi-something to tape down the plaster. I don't cover the transmitter as I've found that it causes condensation inside with tegaderm that can affect the contacts between the sensor and the transmitter. Never got more than 20 days out of one.

jdalaser

Hi again. I understand the sensor is made to last a week but tends to last longer? Anyone with the Dexcom G5, can you tell me pls how long ]

Have used it for 10 days in 3 or 4 ocassions. In just one case, readings seemed to be bad (40% or more difference with one touch verio readings).