How big a spike do you get testing 30mins after eating ?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Kristin, when you use your American measurements in this way it is easy for newcomers to misunderstand - raising 7 to 10 in UK measurements would be to danger levels! :):)
Sorry. I have no idea what the conversion is. I just won't use numbers anymore.

Why is there a green dot in the corner of my picture?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

Green for shows you are online at the moment.
Divide by 18 for UK numbers...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

This is a multi -country site.
Use any measurement you want to.
Don't be put off posting.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Please don't be put off, I for one have always found your comments helpful and sometimes it might be hard to make a sensible reply if numbers are not mentioned. I often see requests for people to "tell us what your numbers were" , so it must help a lot.

Perhaps a compromise could be to use, say, x US, or x UK - and to encourage everyone to say what measure they're using (bit like the BG monitors, I suppose).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Please don't be put off, I for one have always found your comments helpful and sometimes it might be hard to make a sensible reply if numbers are not mentioned. I often see requests for people to "tell us what your numbers were" , so it must help a lot.

Perhaps a compromise could be to use, say, x US, or x UK - and to encourage everyone to say what measure they're using (bit like the BG monitors, I suppose).
Thank you also:)).

Good idea stating US

I now have a US UK cheat sheet. Lol. But I think I like your idea better.

When I first joined this forum my head was spinning with numbers nit making sense. I still don't get the A1C thing without looking it up. Generally I know under 47 and 42. Good enough. Lol

Reactions: Salvia

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm really sorry if I put you off, I certainly didn't mean to. Please continue using numbers, they all help. I think I got out of bed on the wrong side today, my ears ache and I am feeling very grumpy!

It is just the small numbers that cause most confusion with people not aware you are quoting US measurements. With high numbers like 120 it's obvious they are different measurements.

If you find dividing by 18 is cumbersome, there is a conversion chart on the site.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first joined this forum my head was spinning with numbers nit making sense. I still don't get the A1C thing without looking it up. Generally I know under 47 and 42. Good enough. Lol

That's exactly what I do; & I'm in the UK so supposed to know what I'm talking about. :D
I'm the same as you, except in reverse: I've only got a vague idea of what US numbers are supposed to be, around 100 is good, I think, with 85 the cut-off for non-diabetic, but not really sure.

:)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm really sorry if I put you off, I certainly didn't mean to. Please continue using numbers, they all help. I think I got out of bed on the wrong side today, my ears ache and I am feeling very grumpy!

It is just the small numbers that cause most confusion with people not aware you are quoting US measurements. With high numbers like 120 it's obvious they are different measurements.

If you find dividing by 18 is cumbersome, there is a conversion chart on the site.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html
No worries. I understand. It's a U.K. site. Wish the US had something so good. Calculator by my side.
Question. In U.K. numbers, an A1C of 5.1 means what in UK. And bs of 550 at DX means what in UK?

That's exactly what I do; & I'm in the UK so supposed to know what I'm talking about. :D
I'm the same as you, except in reverse: I've only got a vague idea of what US numbers are supposed to be, around 100 is good, I think, with 85 the cut-off for non-diabetic, but not really sure.

:)
I love your idea of saying US. I hate infringing on your country but we hav nothing as good as this forum so I'll just pludder along if you'll all keep put up with me. D is D wherever we live in my opinion.

Reactions: Salvia and Diakat

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Hi @Kristin251 the 550 is a b.s. of 30.5. Ouch!
The A1C is 32. Wonderful.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No worries. I understand. It's a U.K. site. Wish the US had something so good. Calculator by my side.
Question. In U.K. numbers, an A1C of 5.1 means what in UK. And bs of 550 at DX means what in UK?

In the UK we used to measure the HbA1c the same as you do, which is DCCT % In 2011 or measurements changed to mmol/mol although some labs still use the old measurements, so basically we use both our new ones and yours. There is a converter here, which also converts it to the mmol/l equivalent as per our UK meters.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

so your HbA1c of 5.1% converts to our HbA1c of 32mmol/mol and 5.5mmol/l as per our meters.

It would make life much simpler if there were universal measurement units.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I'm getting used to switching between % and mmol/mol for A1C - I've had diabetes 19 years, so was already an old hand when they changed. And I'm used to dividing/multiplying by 18 because I hang out on a lot of US sites.

I remember the time I was delighted to be told my A1C was 6.0, which is 42. Now I'm aiming for 5 (31) or less.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Excellent!!! Thank you all. Yes, something universal sure would be nice!

I am happy to have maintained my 5.1 A1C ( US haha) for almost 2 of the 3 years since type one DX. I was testing for years before and saw similar so that I still good.
Yeah, the 550 was very bad news. Almost died. Coincidentally, recently I won a settlement for malpractice for not diagnosing me in time. Not huge but a nice chunk.
Worst part is I was asking for a fasting insulin, c peptide and gad and was continuously denied. Something needs to change. LADA is not that uncommon and I even asked about it. Told nope!!! I could say a lot more but it would need to be deleted.

Anyway, thanks again. I was kind of using 18 to get rough numbers.

Then there's the whole other number things. Cholesterol!!! Lol. I do have a chart someone linked.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
In the UK we used to measure the HbA1c the same as you do, which is DCCT % In 2011 or measurements changed to mmol/mol although some labs still use the old measurements, so basically we use both our new ones and yours. There is a converter here, which also converts it to the mmol/l equivalent as per our UK meters.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-blood-sugar-level-converter.html

so your HbA1c of 5.1% converts to our HbA1c of 32mmol/mol and 5.5mmol/l as per our meters.

It would make life much simpler if there were universal measurement units.
Saved to favorite! That'll make life easier.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Then there's the whole other number things. Cholesterol!!! Lol. I do have a chart someone linked.

I think your cholesterol measurements are the same as your blood ones - in mg/dl and ours are in mmol/l so you can divide by 18 for those too. I am happy to be corrected on this.

ckneppel

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
I was diagnosed as being barely Prediabetic also. However, with frequent testing I discovered that a chunk of baguette bread spiked my blood sugar above 200/11.1 According to the excellent site: www.bloodsugar101.com, at 140/7.8 pancreatic beta cells begin to die, accelerating the progression of Type 2 diabetes. I eat low carb, but in the beginning, I tested at 15 minute intervals to see which foods spiked my blood sugar the most. Now that I pretty much know what certain foods do to me, I reduce or avoid them all together with the goal of staying below 140/7.8 at all times. I have found perfectly good test strips online through Amazon, making testing often affordable.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I was diagnosed as being barely Prediabetic also. However, with frequent testing I discovered that a chunk of baguette bread spiked my blood sugar above 200/11.1 According to the excellent site: www.bloodsugar101.com, at 140/7.8 pancreatic beta cells begin to die, accelerating the progression of Type 2 diabetes. I eat low carb, but in the beginning, I tested at 15 minute intervals to see which foods spiked my blood sugar the most. Now that I pretty much know what certain foods do to me, I reduce or avoid them all together with the goal of staying below 140/7.8 at all times. I have found perfectly good test strips online through Amazon, making testing often affordable.

From personal experience, the majority of non diabetics spike above that, so I tend to use the official figures off this excellent site.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

I tested my mother, in her 90's at the weekend, after a bowl of porridge, she was above 7.8, and that age, having eaten it all her life, her pancreatic cells appear to be fine still.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think your cholesterol measurements are the same as your blood ones - in mg/dl and ours are in mmol/l so you can divide by 18 for those too. I am happy to be corrected on this.
I can make you happy. To convert from mg/dL to mmol/L you need to divide by 38.66 (divide by 40 is probably close enough).