1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

How big a spike do you get testing 30mins after eating ?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Begonia, Mar 22, 2017.

1. ckneppel

ckneppel Prediabetes · Member

Yes, my husband's mother is 94 and eats all kinds of junk, so does he. The difference is that I have a genetic predisposition (from my father), while my husband and his family apparently have cast-iron pancreases (pancreai?) I just hope my daughter takes after him in that respect.

2. ckneppel

ckneppel Prediabetes · Member

Yes, this is a truly excellent site. There are studies that maintain that truly normal people never spike above 120/6.7, no matter what they eat. Also, my doc made the remark that 'everybody's pancreas eventually wears out', then corrected herself to 'well, not everybody, depends on the degree to which they inherited genes that predispose them'. Since we often don't know if we are predisposed, we should all eat healthfully by avoiding the common, high-carb western diet prevalent in the US but it's entrenched over here, so its really difficult and people are so judgy.

3. LCHF for life

LCHF for life I reversed my Type 2 · Member

Your blood sugars generally continue to rise up to an hour after eating and then begin falling.

4. LCHF for life

5. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

I tested at 2 hours and I couldn't believe I was diabetic. I then found I peaked at 1 hour and could be hypo at +2hour so I diagnosed my own RH and got just into the T2D range at 50. I think now I should have still been prediabetic but atorvastatin put me in range thus insuring I would be prescribe statins for diabetes. If I had followed sid bonkers advice I would still be having hypos after eating carbs!:)
    :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SarahMarzouq

SarahMarzouq Type 1 · Newbie

Avoiding carbs is misleading to me. Choosing the right carbs is the thing with all respect, especially if you do exercise. I`m still searching about this low carb diet, but why we should not eat what we are supposed to eat?!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

I don't leak for 2 hours but I am low carb high fat. If I overeat protein I rise sooner and continue to rise until who knows when. Then I sulking is gone and I dint come back down. It's always a puzzle.

8. douglas99

douglas99 I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Every diabetic is exactly the same?
    I think we know the answer to that, so it blows out the graph for every non diabetic being the same.

9. LCHF for life

It's a guide, that's all. Anyone who wants to know how their body reacts can pick up a kit very cheaply to know for sure.

10. LCHF for life

It's possible to exercise on low carb. I'm currently training for a half marathon and once I had adapted to fat burning rather than glucose I've had no issues. I agree though that the right complex carbs are beneficial for health. I wouldn't allow any refined carbs or sugar near my body nowadays though.

11. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

The Low Carb program is aimed at Type 2s. Type 1s have more flexibilty :)

12. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Not fit this type 1. Keto is awesome!!!

13. tan800

tan800 Type 2 · Active Member

Wonder if someone can share experiences on how quickly banana would spike BG levels? I am type 2, has never tested BG levels after eating banana., thinking to do such test, but not sure how to choose right banana size. Thanks

14. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

I wonder why people even bother with CGM then.

Who aren't T1 or on insulin or even them for that matter.

Oh and a peak of say 33 would not just be a number it would possibly be life threatening to my mind data is data the more you have the better.

• Like Like x 1
    #54 JohnEGreen, Jul 7, 2018 at 10:05 AM
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  15. Michellenz

Michellenz · Newbie

I tried porridge when I first started managing my diet (when I was high in pre-diabetic range, now am well in normal range).
    I was shocked at how high porridge made my blood glucose. It’s definitely in my never eat food group:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook