Where to wear pump during labour?

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

I'm just wondering where other people wore their pumps during labour. My first labour i wasn't on a pump and only had a hospital gown on. I usually wear my pump on my bra so do I just keep a bra on under the gown/nighty? Probably over thinking things but like to be prepared. Also were you allowed to eat after the induction process had started?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Serenede Yes, I was allowed to,eat after the induction process started - in fact, I was encouraged to do so :)

I don't actually remember exactly where my pump was during labour as I was too excited! It would either have been clipped to my night shirt or in a soft belt round my waist. I think it was clipped somewhere. I honestly didn't notice it or think about it once. I'd put it somewhere safe and just got on with things :)

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks azure, pleased I'll be able to eat if necessary and I'm sure i'll figure out somewhere to put the pump!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks azure, pleased I'll be able to eat if necessary and I'm sure i'll figure out somewhere to put the pump!

Inductions can take ages so you'll probably be changing your clothes. Choose your labour outfit eg nightshirt, etc, then think about where would be good to put the pump. If it has a clip, then do attach that too so you can move it about if asked to.

Neither my pump or my cannula/tubing got in the way at all. I totally forgot about them and the midwives were absolutely fine with them too :)

You mentioned your pump bra. I'm not sure what that's like but bear in mind what you want to happen after delivery eg skin to skin, straight to the breast, as you don't want to be fiddling about trying to take clothes off and move your pump then, you want to enjoy those precious first minutes.

Take Lucozade and snacks with you, and books, etc to pass the time.

Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy and best of luck for a smooth, easy labour :)

Reactions: Struma

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I'm hoping it won't take too long and judging by last time it won't! I only really have a pouch that is made of fabric and has a popper to go on my bra so not really sure how that would attach to a night shirt. That was my thinking too about not wanting to have a bra on with skin to skin. I will have to have a look at some nightshirts and see if i will need a different pouch/clip for the pump. I will also make sure i have plenty of snacks and lucozade. Really hoping all goes more smoothly than last time as my daughter got distressed and i found it very painful as it all happened so fast

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The combo

Ok - I'm not familiar with that so have no idea if a clip is available : (

Other possibilities are a Tubigrip on your arm to hold it, or even just take your bra pouch etc off for the pushing stage and drop your pump on the bed beside you (giving your birth partner strict instructions to remind you it's there later!) or perhaps a bag/case you can hang round your neck and push the pump over your shoulder so it doesn't get in the way of bonding with baby. That way you'll know it's safe, but it won't be in your way.

This sounds a bit sad, but perhaps try out various options with your labour outfit now so that you know what will work when the time comes.

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I like the tubigrip idea, thanks! My mum has also said she could sew a pocket on to the inside of my night shirt to keep it in so think i will be ok. Thanks for all the ideas

Reactions: azure

Julie.reid1906

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was at the clinic today, I'm 32weeks pregnant, they said that during labour you get put on a drip to manage diabetes so I won't be wearing my pump. Is this not right? They told me I can chose when to switch to the drip, either for the whole time from induction or once I am 4 cm dilated but that if I chose to stay on my pump I will be expected to control it myself. Seems easier to let them do it from the start. One less thing to think about.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was at the clinic today, I'm 32weeks pregnant, they said that during labour you get put on a drip to manage diabetes so I won't be wearing my pump. Is this not right? They told me I can chose when to switch to the drip, either for the whole time from induction or once I am 4 cm dilated but that if I chose to stay on my pump I will be expected to control it myself. Seems easier to let them do it from the start. One less thing to think about.

There's no reason why you shouldn't wear your pump in labour if you want to. I didn't find there was much controlling to do at all. It was surprisingly easy.