Fake questionnaire

NaziaB

Hi guys!

My name is Nazia and I'm currently a student at university. We are to do a business proposal and I literally have the next 2 weeks to finish EVERYTHING off and submit my assignment. I have decided to base mine on diabetes.

I am already 3 weeks behind due to having problems at home and I need all the help I can get so I hope that I can get help here by joining a diabetic forum and talking to actual people that deal with the problem on a daily basis so that I can fully understand how diabetes actually effects people. As a lot of people already have helped me, (thanks! :)) I am hoping that I will get continued support and with everyone's help, I will achieve the best grade possible.

I'm supposed to develop an idea for a business product or service BUT the proposal has to be done in written form. Unfortunately I won't actually be making the device in its physical form which is a shame really - I can see a lot of people could do without the "deathly" needle.

My friends have come up with ideas such as:
- Facewash, - Environmental friendly car, - A device that measures blood pressure just by touching the skin, - A service for anxiety, etc

So far, I was thinking of making a wristband that will use "reverse iontophoresis" to measure one's blood sugar levels. This allows continuous reading. Research shows that not a lot of people like to use needles. And of course it hard to use needles especially with children.This will get rid of the problem of having to use a needle to prick the finger, etc.

Update: Ok so I have decided on the one wristband

The wristband will have these features:
- A screen that will tell the patient their blood sugar readings, time and date can be displayed.
- When the wristband is turned on, the screen will show the current reading of the user.
- It will be able show previous readings so the user can see if they are doing well or not.
- These reading will be stored in a cloud storage type of thing so that it can be viewed on a mobile or on a desktop. (Users will have an option to be able to see the results in graph form).
- Using the buttons on the side the user can navigate to previous readings
- The wristband will alert the user that it is time for insulin injections
- The wristband can also be set up so that when blood sugar levels are high a second person can be alerted. e.g. a caretaker, parents, etc
What other features would people like to see in this wristband? Suggestions of a completely different device are also welcome. Criticism of the current device is also very appreciated.

It will have 4 buttons – on one side of the wristband, the first button is an on/off button. 2 buttons side by side to scroll through the readings.

I would also like to know how people feel about the current way of using the finger-prick method e.g. embarrassment of using glucose meters in public, or just general feeling towards the glucose meter.

Please can I also get an idea of how much people pay for their current devices and how they are willing to pay for this kind of wristband? What do the prices range from?

Thank you for your responses in advance! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ickihun

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That is a good idea but you would also need to incorporate something to keep the insulin delivery system as sterile as possible. I am past the age of what other people think, any weird comments about drug users get told I would die otherwise, but I know a lot of people do not like using finger prickers etc in public. Best of luck with the project.

Reactions: NaziaB and Prem51
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi guys!

My name is Nazia and I'm currently a student at university. I am in my second year and we are to "invent" something and then make a business proposal out of it. I have decided to base mine on diabetes. I am thinking of making a device that will make a diabetic person's life a whole lot easier.

So far, I was thinking of making a wristband that will use "reverse iontophoresis" to measure one's blood sugar levels. Research shows that not a lot of people like to use needles. And of course it hard to use needles especially with children.This will get rid of the problem of having to use a needle to prick the finger, etc.

Saying that, there will be a second wristband that will include a needle that will inject insulin for diabetics that need to control using insulin.

This wristband will have a screen that will tell the patient their blood sugar readings. The time and date will have to be set up in the wristband. The screen will show the current reading of the user. It will be able show previous readings so the user can see if they are doing well or not. The information from the wristband can also be seen on another device such as a phone or computer. So like a cloud storage type of thing.

My question is, what kind of information would you want this wristband to show. Or what kind of things would you want this wristband to do or include? Suggestions of a completely different device that can be useful to a diabetic are also welcome and very much appreciated.

I would also like to know how people feel about the current way of using the finger-prick method. For example, embarrassment for having to use the glucose meter in front of other people, etc. those kinds of things or just general feelings towards the glucose meter.
Thank you for your responses in advance! :)

Hi I am type 1 and this will be my 28th year. I am not the slightest bit embarrassed by finger pricking in public, but I would dearly love a Libre to scan my BS readings, but it it just too expensive for me.
I am unsure if a wrist band would actually work, ie movement of the wristband, hygiene too.
I inject in my arms, legs and the buttocks ( mostly the nighttime Insulin) and the outer ring of my stomach. A wristband would not get to these places, unless there was some form of detachment from the wrist band ?
But well done for taking on such a task and hats of to you for choosing diabetes, hopefully one day, there will be a more pleasant and an easier way to manage and treat diabetes.
Good luck and wishing you all the best :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @NaziaB and welcome to the forum. I don't know whether your idea for a blood sugar monitoring wristband is practically feasible, but it would be useful if it is. I would certainly be interested in a device that doesn't need finger pricking, and that can monitor bs levels when I'm out and about. I don't want to carry the paraphernalia that is needed to monitor bs levels when I'm out.
It would also depend on the cost. The Freestyle Libre can be used to monitor bs levels continuously, but the cost and the ongoing cost of sensors are prohibitive for a lot of people.
Good luck with your project.

Reactions: ickihun
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds futuristic to me. A wristwatch like device that displayed my blood sugars ......that'll do nicely. I would like it to retain information to be downloaded to a pc program later to examine trends. The Libre has gone part way down this avenue but you have to have a sensor plugged into your arm.

I have no opinion about the second wrist band since I don't use insulin.

From the way my DN has been behaving lately it might be useful if it could do blood pressure as well but if that meant the device was unwieldy or uneconomic I will go with the blood sugar and data saving.

Reactions: AM1874

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The blood sugar monitoring sounds a nice idea. Would it use sweat? I think a similar device is already in development. May be worth a Google.

I'd like to comment on the insulin delivery wristband. The wrist woukdnt be a good place to inject insulin. I imagine you're familiar with insulin pumps? Some insulin pumps support continuous blood glucose monitoring so do show the blood sugar on the pump.screen.

Good luck with your project :)

Reactions: AM1874 and Prem51

NaziaB

Hi I am type 1 and this will be my 28th year. I am not the slightest bit embarrassed by finger pricking in public, but I would dearly love a Libre to scan my BS readings, but it it just too expensive for me.
I am unsure if a wrist band would actually work, ie movement of the wristband, hygiene too.
I inject in my arms, legs and the buttocks ( mostly the nighttime Insulin) and the outer ring of my stomach. A wristband would not get to these places, unless there was some form of detachment from the wrist band ?
But well done for taking on such a task and hats of to you for choosing diabetes, hopefully one day, there will be a more pleasant and an easier way to manage and treat diabetes.
Good luck and wishing you all the best :)

First of all, thank you very much. Also, the wristband will be detachcable.
Small description of second wristband : There will be a small cartridge attached to the wristband which will hold (10+?) needles. The needle will be in a chamber next to a lever. This needle will already be put in place. The chamber contains the insulin and you can inject it through the needle. Once the needle has been used, it is ejected by pressing the lever.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a heart rate monitor which has a wristband display but the sensor is a band around the body - although it would increase costs, if it was cheap enough for me to buy one then the technology must be there as a package already.
Perhaps the insulin delivery device could be on the body band - so you might get an alert, turn off the locking device and activate the delivery device.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
First of all, thank you very much. Also, the wristband will be detachcable.
Small description of second wristband : There will be a small cartridge attached to the wristband which will hold (10+?) needles. The needle will be in a chamber next to a lever. This needle will already be put in place. The chamber contains the insulin and you can inject it through the needle. Once the needle has been used, it is ejected by pressing the lever.

So it's more for boluses then, if the needle is ejected after use? Or would there be two cartridges - one for basal insulin, one for bolus insulin?

I'd assumed it was more like a pump with hundreds of 'injections' a day.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin isn't injected into the wrist - you might need to rethink that idea.

NaziaB

The blood sugar monitoring sounds a nice idea. Would it use sweat? I think a similar device is already in development. May be worth a Google.

I'd like to comment on the insulin delivery wristband. The wrist woukdnt be a good place to inject insulin. I imagine you're familiar with insulin pumps? Some insulin pumps support continuous blood glucose monitoring so do show the blood sugar on the pump.screen.

The wristband is detachable, so its in 2 halves.
Insulin isn't injected into the wrist - you might need to rethink that idea.

The wristband is detachable. You would have to detach it to inject the insulin. You inject the insulin yourself where you would.

NaziaB

The wristband is detachable. You would have to detach it to inject the insulin. You inject the insulin yourself where you would.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The wristband is detachable, so its in 2 halves.

@NaziaB But would it not be unwieldy? It's easier to use a normal insulin pen so that you can put it out of the way when you're not using it.

What injection mechanism would your wristband have then? How would the dose be dialled up? Would it have a plunger?

With ten needles and a cartridge of insulin it would be very bulky. Would there be an interchangeable half for basal insulin? Or a third part maybe?

How many units of insulin would it hold?

And for the glucose monitoring part - how often would the device have to be calibrated? Would it have an alarm feature? How would it differ from things like the Glucowatch?

NaziaB

@NaziaB But would it not be unwieldy? It's easier to use a normal insulin pen so that you can put it out of the way when you're not using it.

What injection mechanism would your wristband have then? How would the dose be dialled up? Would it have a plunger?

With ten needles and a cartridge of insulin it would be very bulky. Would there be an interchangeable half for basal insulin? Or a third part maybe?

How many units of insulin would it hold?

And for the glucose monitoring part - how often would the device have to be calibrated? Would it have an alarm feature? How would it differ from things like the Glucowatch?

The device works continuously. The device has an on switch which when pressed shows the current glucose reading. The needles are small and is in a cartridge which is built into the wristband.
How much insulin is normally needed in a day?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Best of luck with your project. My hubby is into nanotechnology but tbh it all just makes my head hurt. He says I should send you this link and I always do what I am told. At a molecular level your device needs to measure glucose levels (light waves? identifying the number of glucose molecules passing in a defined time period) might be the way forward. Personally I am hoping for a probe a lot smaller than the cannula on the freestyle libre so the concept of using lightwaves is my favourite concept. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25641955

Reactions: AM1874 and Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The device works continuously. The device has an on switch which when pressed shows the current glucose reading. The needles are small and is in a cartridge which is built into the wristband.

How is the insulin delivered though? That's what I don't get. If it's in a cartridge, it needs a plunger, right? So the size of the wristband insulin injectiin section will be determined by the length of the plunger. So the wristband will be big and unwieldy, won't it? What improvements would it offer over a pen? And how have you designed the insulin unit so that it would fit on a wrist?

People with diabetes use varying amounts of insulin and if they're on injections they'll use two kinds of insulin. You didn't respond to my query about that above, so I'm unsure if your unit will contain both basal and bolus insulin.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hi there
there is no "normal amount" -- the needs are varied over the diabetic population.
some users may only need as little as 4-6 units a day and other users ( including myself ) may need 35-50 or more units per day.