Progression and taking Gliclazide

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear all

I am a type two nearly eight and a half years into the condition currently aged 54.
I do not fit the stereo type that the media likes to put out as I have never been overweight and my life style has been pretty healthy so with that and there being no known history of diabetes in the family I was some what shocked when I was diagnosed.
Currently I am on four 500mg tablets of metformin per day and lipitor statins and I get checked every six months my last Hba1c was 7.4 (no change from last time) cholesterol 4 (gone up 1 since last time) weight 78kg at 6ft tall.
My blood pressure was 126 over 70 kidney function good but I did have a blip in my liver function so I am to be tested again in 3 months time.
The issue that I have at the moment is that my nurse offered me Gliclazide (G) this time round which I have refused choosing to wait for another 3 months to see if I can get it down, ideally they want it below 7 but I have been very honest stating that I do not feel I will be able to achieve this as I am doing everything possible. The practice I go to is very good and has been brilliant however the last nurse I saw was content with my staying on metformin when it was still 7.4.
I have colleagues who are higher than me but are not yet on the G and I have been told that my sugars are well controlled.
So in three months if it is still around 7.4 what do I do? I understand that their are various side effects with G as there is with any medication but it is the risk of hypos and whether I have to inform DVLA car insurers and take my bloods before driving that is a concern.
I fully recognise that the condition is progressive and that I may just be delaying the inevitable but I do not wish to be jumping to the next meds prematurely.
Any input would be welcome especially if there are any health care professionals from this field available.
Please note I do not spend alot of time on the computer so any replies from me may be delayed.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I do not feel I will be able to achieve this as I am doing everything possible.
Have you cut right down on your carbohydrate intake? That is cut out potatoes, pasta, cereal, pastry, bread, biscuits, cakes, ie all the beige stuff. Do you know about Low Carb diets/lifestyle. There's lots of information on here and, for most people, their blood sugars plummet.

I fully recognise that the condition is progressive
No it isn't. Many people go into remission / reverse / stop the progression of T2 and they do it by changes in lifestyle, cutting out sugars and carbs, increasing exercise and some go in for intermittent fasting.

I'm sure others will be along soon with a lot more information and details, but, in the meantime, search this site.
Sally

Reactions: dbr10

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
It's against forum rules to provide medical advice here. And HCPs certainly couldn't give you medical advice on this forum without a proper consultation. However, perhaps someone who has been in your position can discuss their experience with going on gliclazide or doing something other than gliclazide.

Reactions: dbr10

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I fully recognise that the condition is progressive and that I may just be delaying the inevitable

No, it doesn't have to be progressive and it certainly is not inevitable. It is the NHS that tells us all it is inevitable. This is probably because it advises us to eat carbs with every meal, jacket potatoes and baked beans are good choices, fruit and fruit juices, wholemeal bread must be eaten daily etc. so most people blindly follow these guidelines, blood sugars deteriorate, are prescribed more and more meds, until eventually they are on insulin and struggling with complications. None of this is inevitable. Diet is the key, with the help of self testing.

lipitor statins

Do you know that statins cause raised blood sugar levels, and can cause diabetes? This is a known fact and is well documented as a side effect.
The issue that I have at the moment is that my nurse offered me Gliclazide (G) this time round which I have refused choosing to wait for another 3 months to see if I can get it down, ideally they want it below 7 but I have been very honest stating that I do not feel I will be able to achieve this as I am doing everything possible.

Can you tell us what it is you are doing? We may be able to spot something that isn't helping you.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi as you are slim, it's possible you are actually late onset T1. There are tests for that. Gliclazide can be useful for a while if your pancreas is starting to fail. I was on it for years before insulin; too long in retrospect. It's certainly worth a try if you low carb and your HBa1C stays above 7%. It can be started on a low dose and your meter will guide you on hypo risk. I was never told to tell the DVLA or given a meter despite being on full dose. My beta cells were too far gone for it to trigger much insulin anyway.