High cholesterol on a lchf

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I believe that TIA is short for a Transient Ischaemic Attack. I believe it is a tiny blood clot, causing temporary disruption to the blood supply to a part of the brain. I don't know if the American spellings have become the norm now in the UK (not that it matters, we know what they mean) - I'm a bit out of date with medical terminology.

Atrial Fibrillation causes disruption to the normal heartbeat, a kind of 'fluttering' if the heart. I have had it, very unpleasant. Small blood clots are produced, that can damage brain, lungs, kidneys. Thankfully, it was one of the things that just completely went away with LCHF diet, (along with 220/140 BP and GERD). It's why I'm a bit of a LCHF evangelist!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suffer a rising TC too, but only slightly. Many on LCHF report good lipds, so it must be possible.
I think the HF in the diet name is a balancing act between weight gain/loss, but also if not burning fat properly then any excess gets stored as fat. First port of call for this storage appears to be the bloods as cholesterol, and then in the adipose tissue as fat. So we need to make sure we are burning fat by ketosis, and by exercise. To guarantee ketosis on LCHF then carbs must be low (could need to be <20g / day but each of us has our own trigger level) and also moderate protein intake to avoid gluconeogenesis. I think some research is needed to correlate this data.

Anyway, please report back here and let us know how you did.
TC down to 5.7 BUT that is with an increased statin. Also HDL up, and TG down. I think I need to look at protein intake too.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
If I go over 1g per kilo of body weight of protein in a day I know my BG shifts up a gear. As I am rapidly dropping weight I am having to be careful. I am currently eating about 100g per day (too high as I'm now 75 kg) , but likely to end up at a base of 70g within the next 8 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it's done now! 1st blood test for 4 years, 1st HbA1c, which I'm sure will be perfect, and first Cholesterol, Kidney and Liver function. And my lovely GP who understands and respects all my quirks has retired whilst I was in Spain for the winter! Oh dear! Results tomorrow. And a debate? Probably, best brush up on my study data!

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, for some reason that I don't understand I think I got a fasting bg rather than HbA1c. Anyway, that was 4.7. I only realised when I got out of the surgery that the units were wrong for HbA1c. But I suppose there's no reason to expect it to have gone back up, still low carbing and will be for ever. TC down a bit (now 7.9) HDL 1.7 (I was disappointed with that, expected it to be in the 2s,) Trigs 0.9 LDL 5.7, unchanged. Liver and kidney function both fine.

And no arguments / discussions - just, "Do you still feel the same about Statins?" so not too painful overall.

Reactions: 3 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I'm in the high cholesterol low BG boat at the moment and found this old thread very interesting.

One thing I am trying to grasp; triglycerides in the blood are viewed as a problem but according to my reading once you are fat adapted you are fuelled mainly by triglycerides with residual ketones and glucose for brain fuel because they can cross the blood/brain barrier.

So it would seem that triglycerides are central to daily metabolism.

More reading required.

Especially as I also read in these threads that triglycerides are the main thing that vary between a normal and fasting blood test so presumably are being actively added to the blood when you eat then removed from the blood when you don't.

Which makes them look like the main fuel transport between the gut and the cells.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm in the high cholesterol low BG boat at the moment and found this old thread very interesting.

One thing I am trying to grasp; triglycerides in the blood are viewed as a problem but according to my reading once you are fat adapted you are fuelled mainly by triglycerides with residual ketones and glucose for brain fuel because they can cross the blood/brain barrier.

So it would seem that triglycerides are central to daily metabolism.

More reading required.

Especially as I also read in these threads that triglycerides are the main thing that vary between a normal and fasting blood test so presumably are being actively added to the blood when you eat then removed from the blood when you don't.

Which makes them look like the main fuel transport between the gut and the cells.
I found the following presentation by Prof Ken Sikaris to be a good starting point

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I found the following presentation by Prof Ken Sikaris to be a good starting point

I will need several runs through that presentation.

One strong point is that triglycerides are a key indicator of the type of LDL that you have.

Saying that HbA1c is the most important measure of blood sugar is "Uh, duh, just realised that in Australia?"

Scary bit is where the CVD risk ramps up above an HbA1c of 5.5%.

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hemorragic stroke is basically when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures, and ischemic stroke is when a blood vessel feeding the brain becomes obstructed by a blood clot. Both lead to brain cell death, Either can be fatal, and certsinly disabling. There is another type of stroke that is related to arrythmia in the heart (e,g, atrial fibrillation)

The af related stroke is still ischemic

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
TIA attack is a temporary lack of oxygen to the brain. Often called a mini stroke. Symptoms can be as small as staring off into space.

A CVA ( cerebral vascular attack) is a blood clot or larger longer lack of oxygen to the brain. Causes death of brain cells due to lack of oxygen to the brain and CAN cause more permanent damage such as limited use of limbs or paralyzed body parts.

I was a medic for a few years. TIA's can be a sign of up coming CVA 's.

The science is correct but CVA is bad terminology. A strike is not an accident and stroke physicians don't use the term.

Oops I just had a stroke....

Richram

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Really interesting video

Using the Abbott freestyle Libre I've been able to see my blood sugar profile over the day. And it's fine having a sensor.

For my relatives who are high risk then having HbA1C and c peptide might help understanding risk of both CVD and diabetes

How do we modify the modified LDL? I guess modify the trigs

So LCHF have a higher LDL level, total cholesterol increases as increase LDL and HDL and is a good thing.

troponin is controversial about its meaning in lots of different areas and I wouldn't advise testing troponin...I hate it when doctors do tests when they don't know how to interpret the results, see it far too often

Interesting blood results... also most doctors would also not trust one data point

He's a very eloquent speakers, does any one know if he's done any more?