Testing times!

IanJGouGh

We have been testing my wife's blood before and after our main meal. I know you test two hours after eating but should you test immediately before eating or say half an hour before?
Many thanks
Ian

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to test immediately before you eat and then 2 hours after first bite. The rise from before to after will show you what that meal has done to her levels, which gives her the opportunity to change that meal in some way if the rise is too great.

There are no set rules. You can also test an hour after, and 90 minutes after, and 3 hours after, or whenever you like, plus first thing in the morning after fasting all night, and bedtimes. It is up to you. However, if you want to learn from it, you need to keep a food diary including portion sizes and record these levels alongside so you can study the reactions and watch for patterns emerging.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're not eating/drinking anything or doing anything dramatic like a run then it shouldn't make a heap of difference. Most people tend to test right before the meal I guess and then eat as the first test will give you the start time for the 2 hour test.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have been testing my wife's blood before and after our main meal. I know you test two hours after eating but should you test immediately before eating or say half an hour before?
Many thanks
Ian
And welcome darling hubby..