1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Testing times!

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by IanJGouGh, Apr 9, 2017.

1. IanJGouGh

IanJGouGh · Member

We have been testing my wife's blood before and after our main meal. I know you test two hours after eating but should you test immediately before eating or say half an hour before?
    Many thanks
    Ian

2. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

You need to test immediately before you eat and then 2 hours after first bite. The rise from before to after will show you what that meal has done to her levels, which gives her the opportunity to change that meal in some way if the rise is too great.

There are no set rules. You can also test an hour after, and 90 minutes after, and 3 hours after, or whenever you like, plus first thing in the morning after fasting all night, and bedtimes. It is up to you. However, if you want to learn from it, you need to keep a food diary including portion sizes and record these levels alongside so you can study the reactions and watch for patterns emerging.

3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

If you're not eating/drinking anything or doing anything dramatic like a run then it shouldn't make a heap of difference. Most people tend to test right before the meal I guess and then eat as the first test will give you the start time for the 2 hour test.

4. Rosiegough_

Rosiegough_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi this is my darling hubby xxx

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

And welcome darling hubby..

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hi @IanJGouGh ,

Welcome to the forum!

Lol, I was puzzled & was about to ask which spouse was the D..? :D
    To be fair. I have experimented with my wife & a meter in the past..

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook