Let's have a grumble!

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Let's have a grumble. I feel like a grumble.
Don't you just hate it when people won't, or can't, take 'No, thanks' for an answer?
I was at a coffee morning recently. I don't do this sort of thing much, for obvious reasons. There was coffee, which is good. I like coffee. There were also biscuits and cakes. I just bet type 1's can guess what happened next. The hostess knows I am diabetic.
'Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made.
I won't, thanks. Bet it's delicious tho.
Oh, can't you have just a small piece?
I'm ok thanks. Just coffee will be great.
Oh you poor thing. How about a biscuit then?
No really, thanks I'm fine. (Sheesh!)
A plain biscuit? I think I have some rich tea somewhere.
No really. Don't go to any trouble. I'm fine. Honest. (Not that keen on stale rich tea bickies to be honest).
I could fetch you some cheese. You can eat cheese can't you?'
Etc etc.
I get so, so tired of this.
I know people mean well, I really do. And it's not just about the BG. I'm also thinking about the jeans that I can get into now. I really don't mind not scoffing cake and biscuits. I've got used to it. I really don't feel deprived. If I'm absobloodylutely desperate for something sweet occasionally I will have some. But in the normal course of events I really don't mind bring the only one in the room not eating the sodding cake!
Grrrrrrrr.
I feel better now.
What about you all?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Been there done that.
Here's how I play it.
Take the cake......... taking the cake doesn't affect my BG levels.
Put the cake to one side............ I've took the cake, I don't have to eat it.
When I'm asked at the end of function by hostesss why I haven't eaten the cake I reply " I'm diabetic and wish to keep a control of my sugar levels"
Hostess now has ball in her court......." why did you take cake?" Reply " I've told you I'm diabetic and don't eat cake, why did you offer it?"
Hostess " I was being polite/ friendly " reply " so was I "
Of course the other option is to have the bloody cake and bolus for it.
Fully sympathise with you @Eldorado some people just don't get it.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes - but also I get the opposite from one person in my family who is always happy to say - 'you shouldn't be eating that'..:banghead:
I get it too but I was in a coffee house with my mum many years ago and another lady was having a hypo. Her companion wouldn't let her eat a doughnut which was the handiest thing available, until my mum stepped in. (Retired nurse at that time) mum let her know exactly what could happen if she didn't let her eat something quickly and mum did not care too hoots if she was called an interfering old bat! The "hypo" lady was grateful.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
What about you all?

All too often in social occasions @Eldorado

But I'm not really a biscuit or cake eater whether it has 3g of carbs or 30g and much prefer savory food. Up until she died my mother would still offer me a biscuit or a slice of cake when I visited her to go with my tea, this despite her knowing that I'm not fan of either.....................never mind my diabetes :)

Just see the offering as an act of human kindness, tbh I'd be more offended if I wasn't offered anything.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Eldorado , oooooh, Snapsy's ALWAYS up for a grumble!!!!!!!!

This isn't a grumble, though - more of an 'I did what I needed to do and hang the rest of them'. Had lunch out with the in-laws on Saturday. Received some advice that I needed to carb-load from the brother-in-law ahead of my big race the next day, and said no thanks to the huge plate of pasta he was wanting to order for me, and instead requested the grilled pesto salmon with a whole load of veg, no potatoes.

When I then single-handedly embarked on an ENTIRE cheeseboard ('I'll have the cheese and biscuits, chutney, grapes and celery, please, but without the biscuits, chutney and grapes, thanks') for pudding, he looked at me sadly and started talking about what his doctor had told him about avoiding cheese for the sake of his cholesterol.......

Telling him that I was very pleased with not only my blood glucose control but also my weight and energy levels - not to mention my sheer capacity for cheese - I was cheered, smug and delightfully cheese-loaded for my 10k. SORTED.

It's actually only very recently that I've actually been bold enough, in company of friends and family, and/or in restaurants and pubs, to go mildly off-piste like this with the menu - restaurants and pubs themselves are fine, but it tends to wind me up when I'm out with wider family and friends who decide I'm just being really picky 'for the sake of my weight' when I'm not - they don't understand that it's not about that! That does frustrate me, but a bit of confidence goes a long way.

:)

BeccyB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
family and friends who decide I'm just being really picky 'for the sake of my weight' when I'm not - they don't understand that it's not about that!

I hate this too. Or the waiting staff who give you a look when you make them take the full sugar coke back and bring you a diet - like I'm just being a calorie nazi rather than not wanting to make myself ill!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dougnuts at work.. I'm a freak for not having one!

So when questioned, I ask "have you ever read the book Flowers in the attic?"

Then I go on.
Well, the evil step mother locked a boy & girl in the roof & would treat them with a doughnut. They were slowly getting ill.. The boy one day gives a crumb to a pet mouse & it killed it. So the deduced the step mom was poisoning the cake..

Now I'm not saying our employers have that plan in mind!
However they maybe dusting them with amphetamines to increase productivity....? :D

Reactions: Books1

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes - but also I get the opposite from one person in my family who is always happy to say - 'you shouldn't be eating that'..:banghead:
Agreed! I know I shouldn't let it get to me or take it personally but it does annoy me when people say 'are you "allowed" that?' when talking about something sweet...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Been there done that.
Here's how I play it.
Take the cake......... taking the cake doesn't affect my BG levels.
Put the cake to one side............ I've took the cake, I don't have to eat it.
When I'm asked at the end of function by hostesss why I haven't eaten the cake I reply " I'm diabetic and wish to keep a control of my sugar levels"
Hostess now has ball in her court......." why did you take cake?" Reply " I've told you I'm diabetic and don't eat cake, why did you offer it?"
Hostess " I was being polite/ friendly " reply " so was I "
Of course the other option is to have the bloody cake and bolus for it.
Fully sympathise with you @Eldorado some people just don't get it.

I'm lucky I have an excuse, I'm coeliac lol :rolleyes:
I don't get foods pushed on me, but an elderly friend offers 'alternatives' a plain biscuit with my tea, bless her, people just want to polite, friendly and don't want to leave the person out, she is a wonderful lady and one of the nicest people around :)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I just so love this thread............
Like robin above i too am coeliac and my outlaws whilst admittedly in their 80s still offer me biscuits after 8 years of coeliacs and 42 years of injections.
They bought my wife and i a box of posh chocolate biscuits at christmas!
The label said "to tony and dawn merry christmas love mum and dad"
How i laughed...........

They offer me something ghastly and when i politely decline they then ask my wife who is sat next to me
"can he not eat those"
How i laugh............

Peoples grasp of coeliacs is far far worse than their grasp of diabetes i find but please don't anybody think i'm being rude its just my observations on life and what happens to me.

Tony

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Dougnuts at work.. I'm a freak for not having one!

So when questioned, I ask "have you ever read the book Flowers in the attic?"

Then I go on.
Well, the evil step mother locked a boy & girl in the roof & would treat them with a doughnut. They were slowly getting ill.. The boy one day gives a crumb to a pet mouse & it killed it. So the deduced the step mom was poisoning the cake..

Now I'm not saying our employers have that plan in mind!
However they maybe dusting them with amphetamines to increase productivity....? :D
now I understand the pannetonne I got for xmas. The tin is pretty but I have no idea of what to do with the contents

Reactions: AM1874 and Jaylee

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We have 'feeders' in our office who always bring cakes, biscuits, chocolates etc.
I don't like the reaction I often get for politely and discreetly refusing - I get eye rolling and 'oh of course, you don't eat this, no wonder you're so slim'. From friends.

To be honest even if I weren't diabetic I would still choose a hardboiled egg or something cheesy over a slice of cake or a choccy biccy.

And it's interesting that many people in this context feel it's their business to comment on my choices.

Of course I smile and ignore. What else could I do, I wonder?
'Sorry that I don't eat cake'? 'Sorry if my size offends you'?

Still, I'm happy with what I do and don't eat. So that's fine!

:)

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
A Friday treat took place last year and it was crumpets in the staff room and an overweight teacher walking down the corridor with a plate of said crumpets said to me
"tony have you had some crumpets?"
"Thanks but no i can't eat them" i replied (i'm coeliac and diabetic)
"i sometimes wish i couldn't" came the reply........

Just briefly i understood the desire to murder someone..........only briefly of course.....

Tony

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
When refusing an item of food people often say
"i don't know how you do it"

I could scream

Tony again