Let's have a grumble!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a difficult one though. I had a major gripe last year when it was someone's 21st birthday in the office and I didn't even get offered a slice of a really yummy looking cake which I considered to be incredibly rude, yes I probably would've declined the offer...but it's still nice to be offered rather than be excluded.

Reactions: Notorious and Sibyl

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hate this too. Or the waiting staff who give you a look when you make them take the full sugar coke back and bring you a diet - like I'm just being a calorie nazi rather than not wanting to make myself ill!
I have solved the problem. I always order water. If they give me "the Mayor's water" I happily spend the saved money on some other item, like a coffee or a tea. If they insist on bottled and overpriced water, they're not French :)

I've found that in France you can order at the restaurant the tap water, and if you're in the mountains tap waster is better than bottled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

hboyt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I recently had a diabetic friend tell another non-diabetic friend "i eat more sugar now than before i was a diabetic!" while the non-diabetic friend gasped i was laughing! :hilarious: I'm pretty sure the general non-diabetic population thinks all diabetics are on type 2 no sugar diets! :confused:

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've finally gotten thru to all that are close to me....

The final breakthrough came last Sunday when I visited the ex mother in law for Sunday dinner with my son.

Normally she would shove a roast dinner under my nose and then moan when I leave half of it on the plate.

This weekend she went the extra mile and made me the most amazing salad and had the hugest smile when I cleared the plate.

I get it she said finally, I'm sorry for giving you a hard time for so long...

She even went a bought cream for my coffee....

My son on the other hand has become an "expert" in nutrition and questions everything I eat "because I love you dad"

Happy days

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Been there done that.
Here's how I play it.
Take the cake......... taking the cake doesn't affect my BG levels.
Put the cake to one side............ I've took the cake, I don't have to eat it.
When I'm asked at the end of function by hostesss why I haven't eaten the cake I reply " I'm diabetic and wish to keep a control of my sugar levels"
Hostess now has ball in her court......." why did you take cake?" Reply " I've told you I'm diabetic and don't eat cake, why did you offer it?"
Hostess " I was being polite/ friendly " reply " so was I "
Of course the other option is to have the bloody cake and bolus for it.
Fully sympathise with you @Eldorado some people just don't get it.

Sometimes I just run out of steam with the 'no thanks' and end up eating stuff that I just don't want. Just for a bit of peace!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sibyl

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Agreed! I know I shouldn't let it get to me or take it personally but it does annoy me when people say 'are you "allowed" that?' when talking about something sweet...

Or the look of pity! Oh poor you.

Reactions: JamesC1

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I get it too but I was in a coffee house with my mum many years ago and another lady was having a hypo. Her companion wouldn't let her eat a doughnut which was the handiest thing available, until my mum stepped in. (Retired nurse at that time) mum let her know exactly what could happen if she didn't let her eat something quickly and mum did not care too hoots if she was called an interfering old bat! The "hypo" lady was grateful.

That reminds me.... I was at training for my old job and the tutor actually told us that an insulin dependent diabetic should be given an injection of insulin when they are having a hypo. Scary. I was with workmates who were aware that I was insulin dependent (at that time) so everyone looked at me as if I'd been getting it wrong rather than the tutor. She was quite put out when I put her right - like it was my fault she looked an idiot.

Reactions: Dodo and Eldorado

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
I don't like the reaction I often get for politely and discreetly refusing - I get eye rolling and 'oh of course, you don't eat this, no wonder you're so slim'. From friends.

To be honest even if I weren't diabetic I would still choose a hardboiled egg or something cheesy over a slice of cake or a choccy biccy.

And it's interesting that many people in this context feel it's their business to comment on my choices.

Of course I smile and ignore. What else could I do, I wonder?
'Sorry that I don't eat cake'? 'Sorry if my size offends you'?

Still, I'm happy with what I do and don't eat. So that's fine!

:)

Maybe it's like saying you don't drink? I guess not eating sweet stuff or not drinking is outside most people's 'comfort zone' and they don't know how to deal with it. Like you, I'd always prefer a starter to a pudding anyway but I always get the look of puzzlement 'Oh, aren't you having a pudding then?' 'You could have a small portion of ice cream, couldn't you?' And so on.

Eldorado

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
A Friday treat took place last year and it was crumpets in the staff room and an overweight teacher walking down the corridor with a plate of said crumpets said to me
"tony have you had some crumpets?"
"Thanks but no i can't eat them" i replied (i'm coeliac and diabetic)
"i sometimes wish i couldn't" came the reply........

Just briefly i understood the desire to murder someone..........only briefly of course.....

Tony

'Why don't you take those crumpets and put them somewhere the sun don't shine? Sideways?' Sometimes it would be just blissful to be, well, rude!

Sibyl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I recently had a diabetic friend tell another non-diabetic friend "i eat more sugar now than before i was a diabetic!" while the non-diabetic friend gasped i was laughing! :hilarious: I'm pretty sure the general non-diabetic population thinks all diabetics are on type 2 no sugar diets! :confused:

I certainly eat more jellybeans! Lol!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
None of it bothers me in the slightest.

Reactions: becca59

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Nowadays I just say 'no thanks' and change the subject. It's so much easier that giving any kind of reason. After you've just said 'no thanks' the person offering you whatever goodie you don't want looks a little silly if they try to insist/persuade you in to eating something you don't want. Keeping It short and clear also works for when someone is trying to get you to do something you don't want to do.

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let's have a grumble. I feel like a grumble.
Don't you just hate it when people won't, or can't, take 'No, thanks' for an answer?
I was at a coffee morning recently. I don't do this sort of thing much, for obvious reasons. There was coffee, which is good. I like coffee. There were also biscuits and cakes. I just bet type 1's can guess what happened next. The hostess knows I am diabetic.
'Sandra, are you allowed to have a piece of cake? It's home made.
I won't, thanks. Bet it's delicious tho.
Oh, can't you have just a small piece?
I'm ok thanks. Just coffee will be great.
Oh you poor thing. How about a biscuit then?
No really, thanks I'm fine. (Sheesh!)
A plain biscuit? I think I have some rich tea somewhere.
No really. Don't go to any trouble. I'm fine. Honest. (Not that keen on stale rich tea bickies to be honest).
I could fetch you some cheese. You can eat cheese can't you?'
Etc etc.
I get so, so tired of this.
I know people mean well, I really do. And it's not just about the BG. I'm also thinking about the jeans that I can get into now. I really don't mind not scoffing cake and biscuits. I've got used to it. I really don't feel deprived. If I'm absobloodylutely desperate for something sweet occasionally I will have some. But in the normal course of events I really don't mind bring the only one in the room not eating the sodding cake!
Grrrrrrrr.
I feel better now.
What about you all?

cassie091

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mt niece, who knows I am a T1 diabetic invited me to afternoon tea on Easter Monday. I know she was being kind and thoughtful but it put me in the embarrassing position of having to refuse and explain why. I do not inject in order to consume extra carbs and any way don't like sweet things having been diabetic for nearly 60 years. She invites me for a meal at her home and then put loads of potatoes on my plate plus carrots, peas and parsnips! This is an intelligent woman whose father was a microbiologist. One day she served up a pork dish. I couldn't understand why it tasted so sweet. I asked her how she cooked and she gave me the recipe. It had a lot of honey in it! My blood sugars were sky high when I got home. Why are people so ignorant about food? It is the bane of my life and makes me feel I cannot accept invitations to meals. Why don't restaurants serve sugar free desserts? What is the obsession with sugar. I hate the taste of it even when I have to take glucose to stave off a hypo. The diabetic nurse at the hospital looked at me as if I was mad when I told her that.

Reactions: Dodo

Christine McMillan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been a diet controlled diabetic for over a decade noe, I know friends won't remember so I simply say no thanks because when I say it to friends I've told several times and they don't remember, they say 'I'm sorry!). As I also have a lifelong sight impairment which is invisible except to the alert, and I get the same 'I'm sorry' comment from shop assistants or strangers, I'm past caring. No is no. And since thosecwho know I csn't see what things might have in them and they don't tell me, why should I bother? Telling them I have an allergy to nuts stuns them (they make me choke as do some seed types) keeps them quiet. However - its obvious I'm a shorter than average adult when I ask for help, it's given with pleasure by even the lesst likely person, even your scary teenager! :)

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would far rather be offered and decide myself whether to have cake/biscuits, than have some ignorant 'diabetes police' pass over me with the tin of chocolate or whatever.

If it's something small like a chocolate, I take one and save it for next time my BS needs a boost.

I usually find the cake slices are bigger than I'd eat, so I often ask if I can have part of a slice, or simply take a slice and eat as much as I want, saving the rest for later or for my children.

I like to,be treated like everyone else. Offer me whatever it is and let me choose.

I hate the idea of 'forbidden' food.

Gruffydd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Living in Norwich, I was fortunate enough to participate in a DAFNE course so can count my carbs and adjust my insulin injections accordingly.

Reactions: azure