1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Let's have a grumble!

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Eldorado, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Natalie1974

Natalie1974 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's a difficult one though. I had a major gripe last year when it was someone's 21st birthday in the office and I didn't even get offered a slice of a really yummy looking cake which I considered to be incredibly rude, yes I probably would've declined the offer...but it's still nice to be offered rather than be excluded.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MikeTurin

MikeTurin Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have solved the problem. I always order water. If they give me "the Mayor's water" I happily spend the saved money on some other item, like a coffee or a tea. If they insist on bottled and overpriced water, they're not French :)

I've found that in France you can order at the restaurant the tap water, and if you're in the mountains tap waster is better than bottled.

• Like Like x 1
    #22 MikeTurin, Apr 12, 2017 at 9:09 AM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  3. hboyt

hboyt Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I recently had a diabetic friend tell another non-diabetic friend "i eat more sugar now than before i was a diabetic!" while the non-diabetic friend gasped i was laughing! :hilarious: I'm pretty sure the general non-diabetic population thinks all diabetics are on type 2 no sugar diets! :confused:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Jamesuk9

Jamesuk9 Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I've finally gotten thru to all that are close to me....

The final breakthrough came last Sunday when I visited the ex mother in law for Sunday dinner with my son.

Normally she would shove a roast dinner under my nose and then moan when I leave half of it on the plate.

This weekend she went the extra mile and made me the most amazing salad and had the hugest smile when I cleared the plate.

I get it she said finally, I'm sorry for giving you a hard time for so long...

She even went a bought cream for my coffee....

My son on the other hand has become an "expert" in nutrition and questions everything I eat "because I love you dad"

Happy days

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Snapsy

Snapsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

6. Eldorado

Eldorado Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Too true. Only those in the diabetic select group know what it's like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Eldorado

Sometimes I just run out of steam with the 'no thanks' and end up eating stuff that I just don't want. Just for a bit of peace!

• Like Like x 1
    #27 Eldorado, Apr 12, 2017 at 12:32 PM
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  8. Eldorado

Or the look of pity! Oh poor you.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

That reminds me.... I was at training for my old job and the tutor actually told us that an insulin dependent diabetic should be given an injection of insulin when they are having a hypo. Scary. I was with workmates who were aware that I was insulin dependent (at that time) so everyone looked at me as if I'd been getting it wrong rather than the tutor. She was quite put out when I put her right - like it was my fault she looked an idiot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Eldorado

Give it to the dicky birds!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Eldorado

Maybe it's like saying you don't drink? I guess not eating sweet stuff or not drinking is outside most people's 'comfort zone' and they don't know how to deal with it. Like you, I'd always prefer a starter to a pudding anyway but I always get the look of puzzlement 'Oh, aren't you having a pudding then?' 'You could have a small portion of ice cream, couldn't you?' And so on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Eldorado

'Why don't you take those crumpets and put them somewhere the sun don't shine? Sideways?' Sometimes it would be just blissful to be, well, rude!

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sibyl

Sibyl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I certainly eat more jellybeans! Lol!

• Hug Hug x 1
  14. JTL

JTL Type 2 · Well-Known Member

None of it bothers me in the slightest.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Chook

Chook Type 2 · Expert

Nowadays I just say 'no thanks' and change the subject. It's so much easier that giving any kind of reason. After you've just said 'no thanks' the person offering you whatever goodie you don't want looks a little silly if they try to insist/persuade you in to eating something you don't want. Keeping It short and clear also works for when someone is trying to get you to do something you don't want to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Christine McMillan

Christine McMillan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

17. cassie091

cassie091 Type 1 · Active Member

Mt niece, who knows I am a T1 diabetic invited me to afternoon tea on Easter Monday. I know she was being kind and thoughtful but it put me in the embarrassing position of having to refuse and explain why. I do not inject in order to consume extra carbs and any way don't like sweet things having been diabetic for nearly 60 years. She invites me for a meal at her home and then put loads of potatoes on my plate plus carrots, peas and parsnips! This is an intelligent woman whose father was a microbiologist. One day she served up a pork dish. I couldn't understand why it tasted so sweet. I asked her how she cooked and she gave me the recipe. It had a lot of honey in it! My blood sugars were sky high when I got home. Why are people so ignorant about food? It is the bane of my life and makes me feel I cannot accept invitations to meals. Why don't restaurants serve sugar free desserts? What is the obsession with sugar. I hate the taste of it even when I have to take glucose to stave off a hypo. The diabetic nurse at the hospital looked at me as if I was mad when I told her that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  18. Christine McMillan

Christine McMillan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been a diet controlled diabetic for over a decade noe, I know friends won't remember so I simply say no thanks because when I say it to friends I've told several times and they don't remember, they say 'I'm sorry!). As I also have a lifelong sight impairment which is invisible except to the alert, and I get the same 'I'm sorry' comment from shop assistants or strangers, I'm past caring. No is no. And since thosecwho know I csn't see what things might have in them and they don't tell me, why should I bother? Telling them I have an allergy to nuts stuns them (they make me choke as do some seed types) keeps them quiet. However - its obvious I'm a shorter than average adult when I ask for help, it's given with pleasure by even the lesst likely person, even your scary teenager! :)

19. azure

azure Type 1 · Expert

I would far rather be offered and decide myself whether to have cake/biscuits, than have some ignorant 'diabetes police' pass over me with the tin of chocolate or whatever.

If it's something small like a chocolate, I take one and save it for next time my BS needs a boost.

I usually find the cake slices are bigger than I'd eat, so I often ask if I can have part of a slice, or simply take a slice and eat as much as I want, saving the rest for later or for my children.

I like to,be treated like everyone else. Offer me whatever it is and let me choose.

I hate the idea of 'forbidden' food.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Gruffydd

Gruffydd Type 1 · Newbie

Living in Norwich, I was fortunate enough to participate in a DAFNE course so can count my carbs and adjust my insulin injections accordingly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook