Pump Help high sugars

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi need i'm a couple of hours away from home and my insulin doesn't appear to be working and stupidly didn't bring my pen as back up. Sugars 29.6 have changed the cartridge and tubing twice but not working. The tubing seems thicker than usual, can i buy new ones or should I go to A&e if I can't sort it??? Thanks in advance

Reactions: Fergie1985

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Loud noise, runner beans, liars
Do you have a new cannula with you?? This is normally my first port of call if correction doses are having no effect. Check your cannula is still inserteed. Ive had a few very high highs following the cannula slipping out from under my skin without me realising. It may also be that that the site you are using needs to be changed...how long has your current cannula been in?

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have changed the cannula twice and your sugars aren't coming down then I would recommend you go to a&e if you don't have a pen with you. Ketones can develop quickly and so you need to get insulin in to you. Are you on your way home or staying away?! X

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I agree with Vwhite1980 - I had a v high reading last week & my cannula had come out. Can u change it? Do u have a spare? When u get home perhaps use a pen too. Hope all works out ok

Reactions: Tracyann35

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If you have changed the cannula twice and your sugars aren't coming down then I would recommend you go to a&e if you don't have a pen with you. Ketones can develop quickly and so you need to get insulin in to you. Are you on your way home or staying away?! X

No away to Sunday I changed cannula this Afternoon and changed it again about and hour ago taken correctional, on accuchek insight pump and tried to move site also noticed tubing looks slightly thicker than usual thanks

Reactions: Fergie1985

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I agree with Vwhite1980 - I had a v high reading last week & my cannula had come out. Can u change it? Do u have a spare? When u get home perhaps use a pen too. Hope all works out ok

Only changed this afternoon, changed again bout almost an hour ago and home on Sunday, should have bought my pen as back up so stupid! thanks

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Only changed this afternoon, changed again bout almost an hour ago and home on Sunday, should have bought my pen as back up so stupid! thanks
Where are you now? Maybe someone could help with insulin? There are a few fb groups, worth posting there

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
If your sugars don't start coming down now you have changed the sight I would call 111 and ask for an emergency doctors appointment at closest hospital (You will have to wait for ever in a & e) explain the situation and ask for a disposable insulin pen so you can level out your sugar levels.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Where are you now? Maybe someone could help with insulin? There are a few fb groups, worth posting there

I'm in Littlehampton West Sussex it's come down from 29.6 to 24.8 in an hour have tried taking another 4 units thank you

Reactions: ewelina

Fergie1985

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No away to Sunday I changed cannula this Afternoon and changed it again about and hour ago taken correctional, on accuchek insight pump and tried to move site also noticed tubing looks slightly thicker than usual thanks

If you are staring to come down since changing your cannula then it could have been a prob with the other one. Check again in an hour and if you still very high tomorrow call the NHS helpline! Hope you feel better soon. X

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm in Littlehampton West Sussex it's come down from 29.6 to 24.8 in an hour have tried taking another 4 units thank you
Hope it will come down to normal. If not go to hospital. Good luck :)

Vwhite1980

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
cool, sounds like its starting to work. Horrible feeling when your sugars are that high. Don't worry it happens to the best of us, sounds to me like the cannula wasnt inserted properly when you changed it this afternoon or was in a site with high resistance. Always good to double check about an hour after changing your cannula that it is all working properly....I think your pump has the option to set a reminder for that?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
WOW -- just saw this thread !!
well done for all the great advice and super glad you got back to "normal " Traceyann35:)

it is scary sometimes living on 1 insulin ( compared to MDI ) --- the thought that there is no long term ( 24 hour ) back up.

wsrivers

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi need i'm a couple of hours away from home and my insulin doesn't appear to be working and stupidly didn't bring my pen as back up. Sugars 29.6 have changed the cartridge and tubing twice but not working. The tubing seems thicker than usual, can i buy new ones or should I go to A&e if I can't sort it??? Thanks in advance
I seem to be experiencing the same thing. I'm also open to any suggestion.

Tracyann35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
WOW -- just saw this thread !!
well done for all the great advice and super glad you got back to "normal " Traceyann35:)

it is scary sometimes living on 1 insulin ( compared to MDI ) --- the thought that there is no long term ( 24 hour ) back up.

Yes thanks for everyone's advice it's great to have this forum as a back up!

Reactions: himtoo