Pregnancy and type 2 HELP

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I am a newly diagnosed diabetic 10th of march, I'm on diet control and metformin 3 times a day. You guessed it I just found out I'm pregnant. We where trying for months got my diagnosis and stopped trying and fell pregnant, my question is could people tell me what the risks are to me and bubs. And what I can expect. No bashing please I no its not an ideal situation but I have to get everything sorted in my head.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I am a newly diagnosed diabetic 10th of march, I'm on diet control and metformin 3 times a day. You guessed it I just found out I'm pregnant. We where trying for months got my diagnosis and stopped trying and fell pregnant, my question is could people tell me what the risks are to me and bubs. And what I can expect. No bashing please I no its not an ideal situation but I have to get everything sorted in my head.

Congratulations on you pregnancy, very exciting news, but a little scary too. I had my now teenager at the age of 42 1/2 years, my best diabetes moment.
Good luck :)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome here charlotteD88 :):):):):):):):):)

well congratulations first of all remember to feel happy ..

I have not tried it myself , but many others in here have @azure
you need to keep levels of blood sugar in range as much as you can..

remember many people have done this before you and it is possible...

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@charlotteD88 Congratulations :)

Is it ok if I move your thread to the Pregnancy section?

Are you taking the special high dose folic acid? If not, speak to your doctor about this as soon as they open again.

You should also be referred to a special obstetrics team who'll give you the extra support and advice that you need for a pregnancy with diabetes. You should be well looked after and monitored :)

How is your blood sugar? In pregnancy, the targets for blood test results are stricter than usual. This is to ensure a healthy pregnancy :)

I have 3 healthy children and Type 1 diabetes. A diabetic pregnancy is harder work but very much with it.

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@charlotteD88 Congratulations :)

Is it ok if I move your thread to the Pregnancy section?

Are you taking the special high dose folic acid? If not, speak to your doctor about this as soon as they open again.

You should also be referred to a special obstetrics team who'll give you the extra support and advice that you need for a pregnancy with diabetes. You should be well looked after and monitored :)

How is your blood sugar? In pregnancy, the targets for blood test results are stricter than usual. This is to ensure a healthy pregnancy :)

I have 3 healthy children and Type 1 diabetes. A diabetic pregnancy is harder work but very much with it.

I don't no how to move it sorry I'm new, literally found out this morning 2 weeks after being told DO NOT GET PREGNANT so bit worried. Blood sugar average atm is 14ish

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't no how to move it sorry I'm new, literally found out this morning 2 weeks after being told DO NOT GET PREGNANT so bit worried. Blood sugar average atm is 14ish

I've moved it for you @charlotteD88 :)

14 is above the recommended level but don't panic. You have a plan - to phone your GP as soon as they open and get referred for the support you need :)

In the meantime, can I ask what you're eating on an average day?

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've moved it for you @charlotteD88 :)

14 is above the recommended level but don't panic. You have a plan - to phone your GP as soon as they open and get referred for the support you need :)

In the meantime, can I ask what you're eating on an average day?

thank you
ummm 2 brown toast for breakfast maybe with egg or tomatoes

lunch usually a salad with ham chicken or fish or a jacket potato

dinner usually lots of veg with chicken usually been very bland but trying new things as much as possible

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ok, well there's nothing you're doing very wrong with your diet. It sounds pretty good :)

Some Type 2s need insulin temporarily during pregnancy. Although this sounds scary, it's really not :) It should make it easier to keep your blood sugar in range so is a really helpful and positive thing.

When you phone your GP, do stress you need to be seen quickly. Explain you've been recently diagnosed with diabetes, you've just found out you're pregnant, and you need help to get your blood sugar under control, and that you haven't got the special high dose folic acid. Tell him/her that your blood sugar is around 14. Ask to be referred to the hospital diabetic pregnancy team. They're fantastic and should give you the help you need.

Don't let the receptionist put you off. If there aren't any appointments, ask to speak to your doctor. It's not an emergency obviously, but it is important you get seen by the hospital diabetic pregnancy team as soon as possible.

You're not the only lady to become pregnant with higher than desired blood sugars, so don't panic :) Keep calm and get ready with your list of things to,tell the GP when they open after the holiday.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you find that certain foods are making your blood sugar higher eg the jacket potato, you may want to swap it for something with less carbs or just eat a half portion and fill up on the salad and protein. Same with your breakfast toast. Until you see the doctor and the dietician, you could swap one of the pieces of toast for some protein or fat or veg, eg hard boiled egg, cheese, mushrooms, etc.

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you find that certain foods are making your blood sugar higher eg the jacket potato, you may want to swap it for something with less carbs or just eat a half portion and fill up on the salad and protein. Same with your breakfast toast. Until you see the doctor and the dietician, you could swap one of the pieces of toast for some protein or fat or veg, eg hard boiled egg, cheese, mushrooms, etc.

what ever I eat the blood sugar goes up to 21-24 2 hours after thank you for your advice

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
what ever I eat the blood sugar goes up to 21-24 2 hours after thank you for your advice

@charlotteD88 Ok, if it's going that high, I think you should phone 111 and ask for some medical advice this evening just to be safe.

14 is high but 21-24 is extremely high and needs attention. When you phone 111, say you're pregnant, just been diagnosed with diabetes, have out of control sugars and need some advice.

They may be able to help you get that blood sugar down. Again, don't panic - just phone 111 and get some advice about what's best to do.

That way you'll know you're doing the right thing, and speaking to a doctor will also reassure you. XX

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it goes back down after not eaten for a few hours and drank loads of water thank you so much for all your kind words, support and advice

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
it goes back down after not eaten for a few hours and drank loads of water thank you so much for all your kind words, support and advice

Ok, but personally I'd still check with a doctor. It does suggest that you may well need insulin. I'm not a doctor so that's just my opinion, but I think it's likely you may need it. With high sugars like that, you may also be dehydrated so a doctor could help advise about that too.

The target blood sugars for pregnancy I had were no more than 7.8 one hour after eating, and no more than 6.5 two hours after eating. Other woman may have had slightly different targets but they're all going to around that level - approx 3.5 to 7.8 max.

High sugars are bad in pregnancy because they can affect the growing baby. Getting them down as soon as possible is a priority.

Please don't be afraid to 'bother' 111. As you're pregnant, I'm sure you'll get quick advice and help.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If youre spiking to 20+ everytime you eat whether or not you come back down that's pretty dangerous for the pregnancy and the health of the foetus. Sorry, but it is. The targets for pregnant diabetics are to be under 7.8 1 hour after eating and under 6.4 2 hours after eating. Do consider calling 111 or going to a walk in centre for advice and assistance on how to manage blood sugar in pregnancy.

Reactions: azure

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're doing the right thing asking for advice, but I really do agree that calling 111 is the best thing to do now, rather than waiting until Tuesday to speak to your GP/doctor. The best thing you can do for you both is to get your sugar levels down as soon as possible.

I have type 1 and I found my sugars went up in early pregnancy. If your sugars remain high for long you could be at risk of DKA - from the Diabetes UK website:

For women with Type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes, it is extremely important to contact your diabetes team if your blood sugar levels remain high or you feel unwell. Your blood will be tested for ketones in order to rule out diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

I'm sure there is a lot going through your head just now, but there are really positive stories on here from women who had higher sugars at the start of their pregnancies, got them down and went on to have healthy babies. Hang in there!

charlotteD88

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all after 2 days in hospital I am very happy to say all ok with me and bubs i am going home today on insulin. Thank you all for your advice things could have been very different and a special thanks to @azure