Going abroad?

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone,

What are my chances of being able to go to portgual for a few days? I will be 14weeks by then but obviously being diabetic (although last hba1c was 42) which im pleased with, i am being closely monitored. Haven't been put on insulin yet but it could happen soon. Will dr allow me do you think? Xx

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
I should get a letter from you doctor that it is ok to travel and take out a special travel insurance for people with issues like diabetes

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Should be fine. When I was pregnant before I was diagnosed, I refused point blank to go through the X-ray scanners. I got a body search (not invasive) instead. Don't know what the doctors advise now though so I would check. Enjoy yourself though.

natalie22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm off to Portugal at 28 weeks and my doctor literally said do it, you will need a holiday before the baby. She will give me a letter to say good to fly and to take my notes incase anything happens.
Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

What are my chances of being able to go to portgual for a few days? I will be 14weeks by then but obviously being diabetic (although last hba1c was 42) which im pleased with, i am being closely monitored. Haven't been put on insulin yet but it could happen soon. Will dr allow me do you think? Xx

I'd just check with your team and get the OK from them.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
I went to Germany to attend my sister's wedding at 35 weeks last year, it was fine. My diabetes team was terrified but I got the okay of my obs and she wrote me a letter "fit to fly" which I actually needed to show at both airports, UK and Germany. Enjoy your holiday! x

@4lgd

I flew to Canada at 25 weeks, after discussing it with my team. I made sure my insurance (purchased through DiabetesUK) covered any pregnancy related issues. Had no issues what so ever at the airports.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you guys my team said ok and have given me a letter covering my insulin and medication.(just been put on it which i knew was a matter of time) Looking forward to hols now :) x

Reactions: kitty55