Looking for advice please

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was told by GP in November that I was diabetic and to change my diet and they would get me back in and run another blood test. As of Tuesday this week I still had heard nothing from them, but I had been having dizzy spells sunburnt sensation headaches oral thrush etc etc. My wife told me to check my blood with her glucometer first thing in the morning for 3 days my readings were 18.5 flashing ketones 18.8 again flashing ketones the last 20.5 again ketones. I managed to get in at my Drs told them everything they have arranged blood tests on 26th and another Drs appointment on the 9th May. Are my bloods at an acceptable level to wait to see the doc in May or should I be pushing to be seen sooner?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree it is urgent. If your fasting levels are that high, then what are they after eating? Have you tested an hour, 90 minutes, and 2 hours after the start of a meal?

Reactions: Gavin73

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I agree it is urgent. If your fasting levels are that high, then what are they after eating? Have you tested an hour, 90 minutes, and 2 hours after the start of a meal?
I haven't tested as they are my wife's strips and didn't want her to run out only done the 3 morning tests on consecutive days.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't tested as they are my wife's strips and didn't want her to run out only done the 3 morning tests on consecutive days.

I suggest you stop the morning ones and try a post meal. Would now be a good time?

sallymac65

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling high, people not understanding the difference between type 1 + 2, those people who dont listen!
@Gavin73, sorry to hear the trouble you are in right now. From what you've said, Id definitely push to see another doctor as soon as you can. If they ask if its an emergency as they do at my doctor, definitely say yes, you need treatment pronto. Out of interest what make of blood tester does your wife use? I can PM you a suggestion perhaps? I hope you get that appt soon, keep us all posted ....

Reactions: Gavin73

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Gavin73, sorry to hear the trouble you are in right now. From what you've said, Id definitely push to see another doctor as soon as you can. If they ask if its an emergency as they do at my doctor, definitely say yes, you need treatment pronto. Out of interest what make of blood tester does your wife use? I can PM you a suggestion perhaps? I hope you get that appt soon, keep us all posted ....
My wife has a optium xceed but may have to get one myself if this carries on. I will keep you updated gonna ring the Drs tomorrow they didn't seem to bothered when I gave them my readings previously.

Reactions: DavidK59

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something you can do right now is focus on beginning to cut back your carbs. I know your numbers came as a shock, but it's better to know than not know. The good news is that the low carb diet works well for almost everyone. :)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lower levels than that when diagnosed and although the doctor did not give me an urgent appointment he did say that the numbers were far too high.
Eating low carb has sorted out the problem, even before I was into the system.
I'd suggest that you stop eating most starchy and sugary foods as that is probably the quickest way to lower your levels without risking side effects from medication.

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Quick update spoke to my surgery today explained to receptionist my problem, yet again I was offered an appointment on the 9th of May. Explained everything again and how unhappy I was, she then said I could have an appointment with the nurse tomorrow. So until tomorrow that's all I can update you with.

Reactions: Prem51

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update got results from blood tests Hba1c 83, liver readings high still gotta see doc about that. Now a registered diabetic and have started metformin and changed my diet dramatically but still have much reading and learning to do.

Reactions: Winnie53

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Update got results from blood tests Hba1c 83, liver readings high still gotta see doc about that. Now a registered diabetic and have started metformin and changed my diet dramatically but still have much reading and learning to do.

Did you buy your own meter or are you still using your wife's? I urge you to buy your own and look for one with the cheapest strips as you will need thousands of them. (Codefree and Tee2 meters have the cheapest)

Use the meter to help you with your diet by testing before eating and 2 hours after first bite, keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. Look at the rise from before to after and try to keep it under 2mmol/l. More than that and there were to many carbs in that meal. The lower the rise the better that meal was.

Keep reading, keep asking questions, and good luck.

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Did you buy your own meter or are you still using your wife's? I urge you to buy your own and look for one with the cheapest strips as you will need thousands of them. (Codefree and Tee2 meters have the cheapest)

Use the meter to help you with your diet by testing before eating and 2 hours after first bite, keep a food diary and record your levels alongside. Look at the rise from before to after and try to keep it under 2mmol/l. More than that and there were to many carbs in that meal. The lower the rise the better that meal was.

I have my own meter now my GP gave me one and the strips I get on prescription. I'm currently being weaned onto the metformin over the next 3 weeks so not expecting to feel great straight away or my numbers to be normal. Doing plenty of reading lots of great information on this app and advice on the forum thanks for taking the time to reply.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Gavin73

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I have my own meter now my GP gave me one and the strips I get on prescription. I'm currently being weaned onto the metformin over the next 3 weeks so not expecting to feel great straight away or my numbers to be normal. Doing plenty of reading lots of great information on this app and advice on the forum thanks for taking the time to reply.