Highest amount of insulin?

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
All this talk of the old metal novopen has got me thinking, @NaziaB , that you're missing a great business opportunity here! What we need is designer, bling insulin pens. Instead of molesting my stomach with what's essentially a bic biro, what self respecting T wouldn't pay good money for one of these bad boys:

For the ladies:
images (3).jpg

For the gents:
images (2).jpg

And for that Goth in your life:

images (1).jpg

When are you taking pre-orders....

Reactions: NaziaB

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Insulin is only dangerous if you use more than you need. Go and research T2 diabetes, in extreme cases you will find examples of 100's of units per day due to insulin resistance.
@NaziaB Im currently using just over 300units of mixed insulin. Next week im starting tresiba and novarapid as sometimes i dont want to eat. Less insulin then.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They were expensive and like your trust mine wouldn't provide the meter for free.

It was the only bg meter that I ever bought and I'm sure I paid around £120 for it (it was certainly around the £100 mark anyway). I was single then and had a decent income so money wasn't too much of an issue, but that said at the time £120 was a lot of money.
I had to buy my own meters just 14yrs ago, even though batteries, test fluids and monitor books/diarys were free from that manufacturer. Test strips were free on nhs on metformin med only treatment.

Jordi77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use a bayer usb and the battery from the first charge has lasted me for three years and it's still only half full and I am a t2 on insulin and I test 4 times a day and I have a charger for it and I also use a pc and I have just gotten the newest one the contour next one meter and that uses 2 cr2032 batteries and they are expensive so I use only the usb and I just get everything sorted by Bayer when I need to

Reactions: ickihun

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus anyone out there who is rather insulin sensitive, for example, wouldn't use up all of the pen in the 28 days before it starts potentially losing it's efficacy which would result in more waste.

I was/ possibly still would be one of those, I often used mine a good few weeks after the 28 days just because there was so much left. Tbh I never noticed any drop in efficiency but I wouldn't recommend it just in case.

Tbh the reservoir in the Omnipod is a pain because at 85 units min, if I have a low carb week I don't even get a low reservoir alert. Once or twice I have retrieved the insulin from the pod but it always comes out bubbly as you are sucking it out with the syringe, so often I don't bother to be on the safe side.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Seen as we are on amounts of insulin, I have for the last hour suspended my delivery, this hot weather is made me go in overdrive, I had it on 0.05 all day but it wants to edge in the low 4s. I lowered my basal too much overnight and did get a little high alert on my dex, so it appears I still need some. I will definitely bolus with food, my honeymoon can handle basal, but bolus is pretty much a standard t1 rate, 1:10 to 1:20 (it'll be 1:20 I think today).

NaziaB

No it just wouldn't need batteries!

According to research, solar power works on rechargeable batteries and can work from sunlight and artificial light, but I have kind of (with more research) decided to base the wristband on solar power. Thanks for your help! :)

SimonCrox

Units per ml is generally 100 (U100).
But there are vials of U500 Humulin R which we import from USA - here it is equivalent to humulin S
There is U200 Humalog, and U300 glargine is Toujeo.
I think for animal use, one can still find older strengths such as U40.
So lots of scope for error if folk draw insulin out of a stronger preparation in a pen with a U100 syringe.
Interesting article:-
http://www.bjd-abcd.com/index.php/bjd/article/view/119/248

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a citizen eco watch - had it for years and it is great - about 1an hour of light runs it for about 6 months
Me too. I've had one for the last 8 years or so, only cost about £50 and still works perfectly and never needs a battery!

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My first insulin pen in 1962 was glass and metal with a big needle and you had to boil it to sterilise it. How times have changed. All for the better.
Then there was a plastic kit by Hypoguard co. with a screw top tube which you fill with methylated spirit and put your glass syringe in it. This saved the hassle of boiling it. But you had to make sure all the spirit had evaporated from the syring before drawing up insulin from a vial otherwise you might end up injecting some spirit as well apart from damaging the insulin too. Weren't things so complicated back then?

Glucobabu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@GrantGam From what I recall, the main reason the manufacturers moved to 3ml carts was the increase in T2 users with greater insulin needs. Many T2s were going through 1.5ml carts in a day or less, os it made sense to give them more.

@noblehead I remember the Refloflux S and desperately wanting one to use with my "Blood on, wait 60 seconds, wipe, wait another 60 seconds" visual BM strips, but they were ridiculously expensive and our local health board wouldn't supply them to patients.
And because the strips were not available on prescription and so expensive you were advised to split them in two to make them last longer and you could even buy a splitting kit to make it easier!!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Units per ml is generally 100 (U100).
But there are vials of U500 Humulin R which we import from USA - here it is equivalent to humulin S
There is U200 Humalog, and U300 glargine is Toujeo.
I think for animal use, one can still find older strengths such as U40.
So lots of scope for error if folk draw insulin out of a stronger preparation in a pen with a U100 syringe.
Interesting article:-
http://www.bjd-abcd.com/index.php/bjd/article/view/119/248
My toujeo300 has strong warning on every pen not to use out of pen!!!