1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Highest amount of insulin?

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by NaziaB, Apr 5, 2017.

1. andcol

andcol I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

No it just wouldn't need batteries!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scott-C

Scott-C Type 1 · Well-Known Member

All this talk of the old metal novopen has got me thinking, @NaziaB , that you're missing a great business opportunity here! What we need is designer, bling insulin pens. Instead of molesting my stomach with what's essentially a bic biro, what self respecting T wouldn't pay good money for one of these bad boys:

For the ladies:
    images (3).jpg

For the gents:
    images (2).jpg
    And for that Goth in your life:

images (1).jpg

When are you taking pre-orders....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

@NaziaB Im currently using just over 300units of mixed insulin. Next week im starting tresiba and novarapid as sometimes i dont want to eat. Less insulin then.

4. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I had to buy my own meters just 14yrs ago, even though batteries, test fluids and monitor books/diarys were free from that manufacturer. Test strips were free on nhs on metformin med only treatment.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Jordi77

Jordi77 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use a bayer usb and the battery from the first charge has lasted me for three years and it's still only half full and I am a t2 on insulin and I test 4 times a day and I have a charger for it and I also use a pc and I have just gotten the newest one the contour next one meter and that uses 2 cr2032 batteries and they are expensive so I use only the usb and I just get everything sorted by Bayer when I need to

• Like Like x 1
  6. ElkBond

ElkBond Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was/ possibly still would be one of those, I often used mine a good few weeks after the 28 days just because there was so much left. Tbh I never noticed any drop in efficiency but I wouldn't recommend it just in case.

Tbh the reservoir in the Omnipod is a pain because at 85 units min, if I have a low carb week I don't even get a low reservoir alert. Once or twice I have retrieved the insulin from the pod but it always comes out bubbly as you are sucking it out with the syringe, so often I don't bother to be on the safe side.

• Hug Hug x 1
  7. ElkBond

ElkBond Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Seen as we are on amounts of insulin, I have for the last hour suspended my delivery, this hot weather is made me go in overdrive, I had it on 0.05 all day but it wants to edge in the low 4s. I lowered my basal too much overnight and did get a little high alert on my dex, so it appears I still need some. I will definitely bolus with food, my honeymoon can handle basal, but bolus is pretty much a standard t1 rate, 1:10 to 1:20 (it'll be 1:20 I think today).

• Hug Hug x 1
  8. NaziaB

NaziaB · Well-Known Member

According to research, solar power works on rechargeable batteries and can work from sunlight and artificial light, but I have kind of (with more research) decided to base the wristband on solar power. Thanks for your help! :)

9. SimonCrox

SimonCrox · Well-Known Member

Units per ml is generally 100 (U100).
    But there are vials of U500 Humulin R which we import from USA - here it is equivalent to humulin S
    There is U200 Humalog, and U300 glargine is Toujeo.
    I think for animal use, one can still find older strengths such as U40.
    So lots of scope for error if folk draw insulin out of a stronger preparation in a pen with a U100 syringe.
    Interesting article:-
    http://www.bjd-abcd.com/index.php/bjd/article/view/119/248

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Glucobabu

Glucobabu Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me too. I've had one for the last 8 years or so, only cost about £50 and still works perfectly and never needs a battery!

11. Glucobabu

Then there was a plastic kit by Hypoguard co. with a screw top tube which you fill with methylated spirit and put your glass syringe in it. This saved the hassle of boiling it. But you had to make sure all the spirit had evaporated from the syring before drawing up insulin from a vial otherwise you might end up injecting some spirit as well apart from damaging the insulin too. Weren't things so complicated back then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Glucobabu

And because the strips were not available on prescription and so expensive you were advised to split them in two to make them last longer and you could even buy a splitting kit to make it easier!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

My toujeo300 has strong warning on every pen not to use out of pen!!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook