Back on Metformin

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as T2 4 weeks ago. Dr told me to change lifestyle etc but said I needed help with metformin. I had a very bad reaction on only 1 tablet 500mg at breakfast. I was totally spaced out and living in a dream world with bad headaches. After 1 week I was told to come off.

I recovered for 1 week and during this time I went back to normal. I started on low carb diet and testing my blood several times a day. Blood levels were anywhere 7.2 to 9.8mmol/l.

I was put back on Metformin but the slow release version also at 500mg. I get occasional light headiness but so much better and now my blood for last week is 4.2 - 5.5mmol/l.

I have also lost 3 Kg in 4 weeks so making progress. I don't like the feeling on the metformin but it is definitely reducing the glucose. I guess I have to percevere. Dr told me the alternative drug would mean I would need to test my blood every time I jumped in the car. As I'm in sales this isn't possible.

Just thought I would share my side effects with the group in case anyone else is having a bad time with metformin.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lots of forum members have had a terrible time with metformin. I cannot take either as it turns me inside out very explosively. You will probably find that the improvements you have made have little to do with the metformin. I went lchf and after 2 months dropped Hba1c from 53 to 47 and lost 10 lbs. not much I know but I have PCOS and have been insulin resistant for over 25 yrs. Persist with the metformin but it does not bring down blood sugar much. It is more of an appetite suppressant and reduces insulin resistance. You need to find what works for you but do read plenty.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are doing a very low carb diet then I would suggest that has a lot more to do with your levels than the met.
I had a bad reaction to it so stopped it after 3 weeks.. and have never looked back.
You could always try stopping it for a week and seeing if you feel better while closely monitoring your bloods and see what happens. You could then share that info with your doc if you wanted to come off them completely.

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
Hello @canarypilot and Welcome to the Forum :).
Metformin takes time to build up in your system and can take several weeks to reach it's full effect. Never take it on an empty stomach, always with or just after food and drink plenty of water too.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I agree with all the others. It won't be the Metformin lowering your glucose. It really does not work that way. It helps a tiny bit to reduce insulin resistance and also the amount of glucose the liver produces naturally. What is will never do is lower any post meal spike. Also, as said earlier, it takes some time for it to accumulate in your body before it has any effect at all, and then that effect will never be drastic.It is mainly an appetite suppressant.

I suggest it is your new low carb diet and regular testing causing the lower levels.

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are doing a very low carb diet then I would suggest that has a lot more to do with your levels than the met.
I had a bad reaction to it so stopped it after 3 weeks.. and have never looked back.
You could always try stopping it for a week and seeing if you feel better while closely monitoring your bloods and see what happens. You could then share that info with your doc if you wanted to come off them completely.
Thanks. I have just booked a Dr's appt for Friday. I will stop the Metformin and continue with low carb diet and see what happens.

Even though the slow release version is better I still feel rough intermittently.

Funny how I was feeling fine before the Dr diagnosed T2 although I appreciate it's better to know and do something about it now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks to me that as your numbers are not crazy high it is perfectly feasible to manage with tight diet control.

Congrats on the lower numbers.

Reactions: canarypilot

canarypilot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So been off the metformin for 1 week and blood sugar is no different; 3.5 - 5.8 after food. I did have pizza one night and it jumped to 8. Dr is impressed I have lost 4Kg on LCHF diet (<100g per day) and has told me to keep of the Meds and see what happens with the diet. I will have the A1c test in May and we will review then.

So glad to be off the metformin.

Thanks again for all the advice and comments.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on metformin 2 x 500mg per day and haven't had any side effects. I am also trying to keep my carbs below 100g per day too.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on metformin 2 x 500mg per day and haven't had any side effects. I am also trying to keep my carbs below 100g per day too.
Thus proving we are all different. Very pleased metformin is kind to you .. I could not take it at all like the original poster, but its has little effect on lowering blood sugars .. more to protect the liver and act as an appetite suppressant. Sometimes we need to choose quality of life over everything else.