Alpha Lipoic Acid

not-so-lucky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Are these really worth buying and has anyone had any luck with them getting rid of neuropathy symptoms? Should I consult the Dr before buying any?

Reactions: Freema

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Are these really worth buying and has anyone had any luck with them getting rid of neuropathy symptoms? Should I consult the Dr before buying any?

I was curious about the neuropathy benefits so on 7th April I started taking 300mg a day. I have peripheral neuropathy in my feet, not diabetes related but caused by chemotherapy 4 years ago. It isn't disabling, just the usual pins and needles with burning sometimes, and an odd feeling similar to having a sock all rucked up in my trainers. I have full sensation in both feet with a good pulse to them. My oncologist said if it didn't disappear 12 months on from chemo then it may never.

Only a few weeks on from taking them, I am delighted to say the neuropathy has all but gone. Certainly the tingling and burning have gone. Sounds like a miracle, but this is quite genuine. There are no reported side effects, and it is widely prescribed in Europe for neuropathy, so it is well worth giving them a try.

Reactions: zand

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alpha Lipoic Acid can reduce symptom of neuropathy. Most people take up to 600Mg a day. I take one 300Mg tablet daily as I was getting some "pins and needle" sensations in my hands. These sensations have now gone.

It also reduces "brain fog". I doubt if your GP will know anything about it, unless you live in Germany where it is routinely given to neuropathy suffers.

It reduces blood sugars, so best taken with a meal.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It reduces blood sugars, so best taken with a meal.

I haven't noticed a reduction in mine on 300mg. The tub says to take it with food. However, from what I have read only around 30-40% gets absorbed, more than that if taken on an empty stomach. I am taking it with food but am wondering about changing.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't noticed a reduction in mine on 300mg. The tub says to take it with food. However, from what I have read only around 30-40% gets absorbed, more than that if taken on an empty stomach. I am taking it with food but am wondering about changing.
The first time I took a 300Mg tablet (which I got from Amazon) it was on an empty stomach and I got a headache and felt very tired. After a rest and some food I then felt very energised. Subsequently, I always took it with food and have never had a headache since.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just started. Taking it 3 days ago and already see a difference. I'm not good with supps so I started slow. First day 200 mg as I bought it late in the day 100x 2 and so far 100 today. My feet are better but not gone ( little too soon for that) my vision and menatal clarity are better as well. My energy has sky rocketed. I feel like a drank a pot a espresso. So today I split the pills and will take 50 mg every two hours. I seriously felt like I was going to fly out of my shoes!! But I got loads done that I've been too lazy to do. It's supposed to be so good for everything.

I haven't noticed a reduction in bs either but I have been taking it with meals to avoid any potential nausea but none so far.

Reactions: ickihun

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The first time I took a 300Mg tablet (which I got from Amazon) it was on an empty stomach and I got a headache and felt very tired. After a rest and some food I then felt very energised. Subsequently, I always took it with food and have never had a headache since.
Good to know, I'll keep taking it with food!! And yes, loads of energy. I could use that

Reactions: ickihun

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
im taking 600mg alpha linoic acid plus cinammon and bitter melon and chromium piccolonate
together with usual meds

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
They are water soluable so good either way. However if you want them to reduce your insulin need. Insulin is only triggered by food. I'd stick with with food.
They reduced my insulin need by a third. Well worth saving the nhs by the cost of the tablets. When I can afford them. ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I just started. Taking it 3 days ago and already see a difference. I'm not good with supps so I started slow. First day 200 mg as I bought it late in the day 100x 2 and so far 100 today. My feet are better but not gone ( little too soon for that) my vision and menatal clarity are better as well. My energy has sky rocketed. I feel like a drank a pot a espresso. So today I split the pills and will take 50 mg every two hours. I seriously felt like I was going to fly out of my shoes!! But I got loads done that I've been too lazy to do. It's supposed to be so good for everything.

I haven't noticed a reduction in bs either but I have been taking it with meals to avoid any potential nausea but none so far.
It will reduce your Insulin need @Kristin251 so becareful and expect a hypo if you haven't reduced yours. ♡♥♡

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
It will reduce your Insulin need @Kristin251 so becareful and expect a hypo if you haven't reduced yours. ♡♥♡
Hi @ickihun !!
Did it reduce yours insulin needs right away or did it take awhile? It doesn't seem to be reducing them so far but I'm only taking 200-300 mg at this point. Increasing daily. It is helping lots of things. Thanks for the warning!!

Reactions: Freema and ickihun

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just been reading up about it and all the research that has been done. One thing I had wanted to know was the rate at which it starts to work and how long it is stored in the body ie is it cumulative like some other drugs. Apparently it is absorbed and in the brain and other cells within an hour, but is also excreted within 24 hours, so none is stored.

This seems very useful
https://examine.com/supplements/alpha-lipoic-acid/

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm wondering too. I bought 100 mg so maybe I could take 1 with bf, 1 in between and 1 with lunch

Do you notice energy and afraid to take it too late in the day in fear of insomnia?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm wondering too. I bought 100 mg so maybe I could take 1 with bf, 1 in between and 1 with lunch

Do you notice energy and afraid to take it too late in the day in fear of insomnia?

I take mine at lunch time (300mg) and have now started another 300mg at evening meal (take it about 7-15pm) I wasn't having a great energy boost on 300mg. I was just happy it helped my foot tingling. I'll see how the evening one goes, but it would take a nuclear bomb to give me insomnia! I don't have breakfast except coffee and cream and haven't tried one at that time.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm trying this to see if it will help with 'The Thump' which I used to get decades ago and has returned with a vengeance now. I think it is a drop in BG due to some sensitivity to insulin returning whilst I am still overproducing.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I take mine at lunch time (300mg) and have now started another 300mg at evening meal (take it about 7-15pm) I wasn't having a great energy boost on 300mg. I was just happy it helped my foot tingling. I'll see how the evening one goes, but it would take a nuclear bomb to give me insomnia! I don't have breakfast except coffee and cream and haven't tried one at that time.
I took one with half an avocado at bf, Then 2.5 hours later one without food and no headache, nausea etc.
I am finding I don't need coffee ! It gave me a huge energy boost the last two days but not as much today. ( however celebrated last night) I started doing slow to let my body acclimate as I don't do well with many supps. No problem. I think I'm going to continue bumping up to 600.

Since I was so sick my nervous seemed to be effected. The nueropthy is relatively new but improving every day. I don't shake anymore. Eyes are crystal clear, skin glowing, mental clarity improved , energy improved, total sense of well being improved. Appetite suppressant though I don't need that until around 4. Then I snack until dinner. Seems like a miracle to me.

I'm going to try later in the day as well and empty stomach. What's the worst that can happen? I get a little nauseous or a headache. It'll go away.

Considering a maintenance dose after all is better. Maybe 200-300? Wonder if symptoms will come back.

I might now be noticing a little bg difference. Too soon to tell

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm trying this to see if it will help with 'The Thump' which I used to get decades ago and has returned with a vengeance now. I think it is a drop in BG due to some sensitivity to insulin returning whilst I am still overproducing.
What's the thump?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What's the thump?
For a little while I have been noticing how my energy levels drop with a bang in the middle to late afternoons - it used to happen when I was in my teens and twenties - so much so that I now wonder if I was going hypoglycaemic.