Time to confess..... but ending on a high!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
For the past 5 weeks or so I have been really bad. Although I was following a LCHF diet I was also comfort eating (though it didn't work!) biscuits, cake, chocolate, toast and homemade jam or local honey.... get the picture? My husband had decided to stand in the local council elections, so my sleep pattern went out of the window as I was really worried about the outcome, as I know that my husband really wanted this new venture. Working after as little as 3 or 4 hrs sleep some nights and some shifts we were short staffed and so the stress went on. As my BS levels went up I ate more bad things. BUT the election has come and gone and my other half was elected. I'm hoping he never does this again as the stress on the results day was really awful! But like childbirth, I will probably have forgotten all about the stress in 5 yrs time and if he wants to stand again I will hear myself saying "Of course I will support you, if you want to try again".
I'm back on a LCHF part fasting diet and my levels today after work and a long cycle home my BS levels were 6.3 I've just had a mug of real coffee with some double cream. Tea will be some smoked mackeral with roasted peppers, spinach and what ever other veg I can find in the fridge. Tomorrow (Mon) I have training at work for about 1 1/2 hrs, so I will have that as a fasting day and will have nothing from tea tonight until my meal about 6pm on Mon. My next 24 hr fasting will be on Wed when I have a day off work. Onwards and upwards, or in the case of my BS downwards I hope :)
If I do stray off line again, I will come onto here and get my backside well and truly kicked back into place!

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Hi Beryl great to hear from you, I wondered where you were :) Congratulations to hubby too

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done to your husband. :) Now the hard work and stress really begins for him.

Well done on getting back on the wagon. I'm sure everyone of us has had a bit of a burn out at one time or another. Put it all behind you and move on.

Reactions: LAR and Oldvatr

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well you know what you need to do so consider butt well and truly kicked and clamber back aboard the LCHF bus.. you know it makes sense..

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been reading that LCHF is also quite dangerous as your body starts eating muscle

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been reading that LCHF is also quite dangerous as your body starts eating muscle

it is when it starts eating your soft organs you have issues......

Utter nonsense, of course. Lean muscle mass only becomes an issue in the absence of body fat, that is when starvation kicks in.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

think you'll find that is only after the fats have been reduced somewhat, which it often the object of the exercise with LCHF.

I lost 25 kg, from 95 to 70, most of that was fat and I've flatten at 70-72kg to the last two years.

It can work.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @berylc I can understand losing it with a dislocation like OH standing for election, regular meals must have gone out the window.
Only you got you back onto the wagon of LCHF. :joyful:

Reactions: berylc

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Well done @berylc I can understand losing it with a dislocation like OH standing for election, regular meals must have gone out the window.
Only you got you back onto the wagon of LCHF. :joyful:
Regular meals???? At first delivering the leaflets in the town was good, lots of walking. But then it was into the countryside and 19 hrs of sitting in the car ticking off the houses, hundreds of them!

Reactions: LAR and hankjam

Spiderjo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who live on their phones.
Discourteous drivers
Stray apostrophes!
As a relative newbie (T2 diag 6mths ago) I'm wondering how you can do fasting and how it affects your diabetes? I'm on Metformin and trying to do LCHF which is ok-ish for me but BG could be lower if I could stop having carbs for breakfast!
Aren't we supposed to eat "little and often"? Is it 5:2 fasting people are doing? thanks, Jo

walnut_face

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a relative newbie (T2 diag 6mths ago) I'm wondering how you can do fasting and how it affects your diabetes? I'm on Metformin and trying to do LCHF which is ok-ish for me but BG could be lower if I could stop having carbs for breakfast!
Aren't we supposed to eat "little and often"? Is it 5:2 fasting people are doing? thanks, Jo
It might be worth starting a thread of your own, that way you will get more responses

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting is quite easy.. don't eat. If you are finding it difficult not to have carbs for breakfast then don't eat breakfast.. problem solved. Eating "a little and often" means your body is constantly trying to deal with the food you're putting in. By fasting you can give your poor overworked pancreas a rest. Skipping breakfast or dinner is great as you are extending the period you are fasting (when you are asleep) and only not eating one meal. Give it a go. I get my best sugar levels (lowest) when doing extended fasts.

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Try having scrambled eggs for breakfast instead of carbs - I do this if my levels are a bit up in the morning. Good fats and amino acids for your hair, skin and nails too. Win win!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I certainly don't eat "little and often". Doing that doesn't give your pancreas time for a rest, and can lead to higher levels before your next bit of grazing, which will impact on the post meal levels. I eat two meals a day (lunch and evening meal) with no snacks. At breakfast time I have a coffee with double cream and maybe a tea mid morning.

People have different sorts of fasts. It seems better to start of with intermittent fasting (IF) which basically is skipping one meal a day, and breakfast is easiest to skip. This normally involves eating in a 6 or 8 hour window and fasting for the other 18 or 16 hours. This is a gentle start, and you can then, if you wish, move on to more intense fasting such as the 5-2 or similar.

Whilst on Metformin, as this is supposed to be taken with food, on a day of full fasting you might think about skipping the Metformin that day.

Just as a PS. Carbs at breakfast time isn't always a good idea as any insulin resistance will be worse at that time. We all differ in this, but I certainly can't eat any in the mornings or my levels stay up throughout the morning.

LAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If it's any consolation I've been equally naughty. Too ashamed to post my FBG numbers. And I don't even have elections as an excuse!! Pure carb munchies. No excuse. I've got Ben Nevis to climb in just over a week! Had really poor sleep and terrible leg aches. Hopefully I can follow your lead and get back to sensible LCHF eating again.
All the best with your newly acquired commitment