Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

You may find that the three hour course majors on the 'Eatwell ' plate - this will suggest carbs at every meal. I followed this plan for over ten years and my diabetes has gradually got worse and my medication increased.

Many on this forum advocate to eat low carbs and it has worked for me over the last few months. BG levels are down and I have reduced medication slightly.

You probably have two choices when you go on the course - ask awkward questions about how eating carbs will help to lower your blood sugar levels when the carbohydrates are converted into glucose (which is what diabetes is basically about .. ) or nod, smile sweetly and go home and cut the carbs that affect your BG levels.

Forewarned is forearmed.
Yes thank you, I had already realised that official NHS advise seems to be to eat 'good' carbs! Why? As you say they turn into sugar! Makes no sense! Depending on what mood I'm in on the day, I may question them or be a shrinking violet! I feel I should question it for the good of all, it depends how brave I'm feeling to disagree with the 'professionals'!

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I feel I need to follow this up. I think I must have had blood tests in the years between 2013 and now, at least the last 2 years in connection with my BP. What's the betting they weren't good either. I'm cross thinking this may have been spotted earlier.
Apparently I was prediabetic in 2007!!! but was never told then. I was diagnosed in August 2016 after around 6 months of feeling like death. So many years that I could have been doing something to help my health.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Apparently I was prediabetic in 2007!!! but was never told then. I was diagnosed in August 2016 after around 6 months of feeling like death. So many years that I could have been doing something to help my health.

Oh no. That's terrible. I think I'm going to book with a different GP (it'll be the one I usually see) so I can be less confrontational by just saying Dr X didn't tell me all my results can you fill me in with the missing years?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh no. That's terrible. I'm think I'm going to book with a different GP (it'll be the one I usually see) so I can be less confrontation by just saying Dr X didn't tell me all my results can you fill me in with the missing years?
Or alternatively you can ask to register to get your results online then (providing you have been with the same surgery for a while) you can check them all at your leisure without any interaction with the HCP's. Makes life much simpler.

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or alternatively you can ask to register to get your results online then (providing you have been with the same surgery for a while) you can check them all at your leisure without any interaction with the HCP's. Makes like much simpler.

I have been with the same surgery for 37 years! So yes I will look into that. We have a system called Patient Access where I can book appts. and order repeat prescriptions. There doesn't appear to be any way to see results, so I will enquire. Thank you.

Reactions: Prem51 and Ultramum

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Or alternatively you can ask to register to get your results online then (providing you have been with the same surgery for a while) you can check them all at your leisure without any interaction with the HCP's. Makes like much simpler.
I have been with the same surgery for 37 years! So yes I will look into that. We have a system called Patient Access where I can book appts. and order repeat prescriptions. There doesn't appear to be any way to see results, so I will enquire. Thank you.
Unless your surgery is like mine and have no intention of allowing us to get our results online for the forseeable future!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unless your surgery is like mine and have no intention of allowing us to get our results online for the forseeable future!
Oh no! I'll let you know in a couple of months when I go back for my review.

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The online results page for my surgery is "system online" and is separate from the surgery page where you book appointments etc. You my find a link to it on your surgery's webpage. If you call they should be able to tell you if its possible. Assuming you are in England.. I think it may be different in Scotland and Wales.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The online results page for my surgery is "system online" and is separate from the surgery page where you book appointments etc. You my find a link to it on your surgery's webpage. If you call they should be able to tell you if its possible. Assuming you are in England.. I think it may be different in Scotland and Wales.

Yes I'm in England. I've just looked at the Patient Access Website and it is possible to review results if the surgery has enabled it! I will enquire of mine how to get it enabled.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
c920689aa166c7cfafbc1ddf5d5cb4a8.jpg

So it's been 9 days since my phone call from GP saying they suspected diabetes. Straight away I stopped eating junk.
Since it was confirmed 4 days ago on the phone I have eaten 100g carbs. per day. I started on Metformin yesterday 500mgs with breakfast. This morning my Code Free arrived. My bg readings today are as in my photo. What do you think?

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
c920689aa166c7cfafbc1ddf5d5cb4a8.jpg

So it's been 9 days since my phone call from GP saying they suspected diabetes. Straight away I stopped eating junk.
Since it was confirmed 4 days ago on the phone I have eaten 100g carbs. per day. I started on Metformin yesterday 500mgs with breakfast. This morning my Code Free arrived. My bg readings today are as in my photo. What do you think?

Look good - aim for a small rise after meals <2 - it's huge variations you want to avoid.

You may find your fasting results are higher than your bedtime - have a search of the forum for 'Dawn Phenomenon' or 'liver dump' to explain it

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Look good - aim for a small rise after meals <2 - it's huge variations you want to avoid.

You may find your fasting results are higher than your bedtime - have a search of the forum for 'Dawn Phenomenon' or 'liver dump' to explain it
Thank you for the info about dawn phenomenon. I'll see what tomorrow brings.

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a smart phone - iPhone or something similar, because there are great apps that can help you keep track of your BS numbers, without having to write them down. It's all personal preference of course.

I have a Windows phone and use a program called Diabetes Manager.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you have a smart phone - iPhone or something similar, because there are great apps that can help you keep track of your BS numbers, without having to write them down. It's all personal preference of course.

I have a Windows phone and use a program called Diabetes Manager.

I use MySugr - you can record exercise, meals BG levels and general notes on the free version

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Ultramum and @slimkimalinki yes, I do have an app! Don't know why I wrote them down too! I have 'Glucose' which transfers data to the iPhone 'Health' app automatically.
2bf2f70fe58ac36eacb45cd68814143c.jpg

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It was 6.7 mmol/l when I woke up! Does it tend to rise now I'm awake even without eating straight away?
Yes it does usually rise until you eat something. I have a coffee with double cream when I get up, which stops the Dawn Phenomenon.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it does usually rise until you eat something. I have a coffee with double cream when I get up, which stops the Dawn Phenomenon.

Indeed you're right. I had a lie in and I just checked it now and it 8.2 Off to get some breakfast …

Reactions: Ultramum and Prem51

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So I awoke at 7am with a bg of 6.7, laid in and at 9am it was 8.2. The dawn phenomenon I gather.
I'm trying to think how to manage this on weekdays. I get up at 7.15, pre diabetes I got up had a Tassimo cappuccino (2.5g carbs and 2.8g fat). I'd then do the school run returning at around 8.45 and have breakfast.
If I carry on with this routine, will the cappuccino be enough to stop the dawn phenomenon?